Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] PL begins fixture plans for 2022 World Cup.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20191024-171624_Gallery.jpg

Premier League players could face the prospect of playing games nine days before the start of the 2022 winter World Cup in Qatar.

Draft plans have been shared between clubs outlining the Premier League schedule around the tournament, being held from 21 November to 18 December.

Fixtures could take place on 12 November and resume on 26 December, eight days after the final.

The season would also kick off one week earlier and finish a week later.

It means that there would be only six weekends without Premier League games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50169337

This is going to be an interesting season if it actually happens.
I'm all for a winter break, World Cup or not.
About time we kept up with the times :thumbsup:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's nonsense isn't it.

Should never have been given to Qatar, should still be taken away from Qater, it wont be, all because of money. Woeful.

Can you imagine how awful that break in the premier league is going to be if England didn't qualify! Would be like losing a leg. So is it going to start in July or end in June to make up for the gap? EDIT: just seen one week earlier and finish one week later?! For a six week break. So that's lots of mid week games then? Wenger would go mental.

Nailed on January will see more snow than we have ever had!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's nonsense isn't it.

Should never have been given to Qatar, should still be taken away from Qater, it wont be, all because of money. Woeful.

Can you imagine how awful that break in the premier league is going to be if England didn't qualify! Would be like losing a leg. So is it going to start in July or end in June to make up for the gap? EDIT: just seen one week earlier and finish one week later?! For a six week break. So that's lots of mid week games then? Wenger would go mental.

I know football is a bigger draw, but look what happened to the interest in the recent athletics meet over there.
Spectator participation bordering on the ludicrous!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know football is a bigger draw, but look what happened to the interest in the recent athletics meet over there.

not surprised, you'd have to pay me a lot to got there. i cant understand why people go there for leisure.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Wasn't there talk of ditching the League Cup that season too?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think by then we’ll probably not be worrying about premier league fixtures, In which case we’ll be fine. If by some miracle we’ve got a decent recruitment team by then and have somehow managed to cling on to the premier league I’ll be looking elsewhere for my football fix. EPL has become anti football, and certainly anti football fans, VAR, transfer fees, fixture changes, wages, rip off ticket prices, rip off everything prices, what have they left for us to like?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The other question is what happens to the players that are not selected for the world cup,the clubs won't want to give them six weeks off, as they will need to retail a level of general and match fitness. So will we have a series of low key friendlies to keep the players in shape, or will the rules of PL2 be relaxed to allow for any number of over age players to play during this 6 week window, or will PL2 also shut down.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
That is an EXTREMELY* pessimistic outlook.

*you did realise that the Championship is also planning to stop for the World Cup...?

We recently had a game called off at Barnet as they had 3 players on International duty ,2 of them weren't even regulars . With a bigger World Cup it could even have games affected at a lower level.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If it was up to me, the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga would tell Fifa to do one and continue as normal. Players could then decide whether to prop up a corrupt organisation that is capable of awarding its main competition to a wholly unsuitable host such as Qatar, or play for the people who pay their considerable wages.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It's nonsense isn't it.

100% should still be moved, but it will not be

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The other question is what happens to the players that are not selected for the world cup,the clubs won't want to give them six weeks off, as they will need to retail a level of general and match fitness. So will we have a series of low key friendlies to keep the players in shape, or will the rules of PL2 be relaxed to allow for any number of over age players to play during this 6 week window, or will PL2 also shut down.

Or they will go on tour of the Far East or USA....

It's nonsense isn't it.

not surprised, you'd have to pay me a lot to got there. i cant understand why people go there for leisure.

If it was up to me, the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga would tell Fifa to do one and continue as normal. Players could then decide whether to prop up a corrupt organisation that is capable of awarding its main competition to a wholly unsuitable host such as Qatar, or play for the people who pay their considerable wages.

In all this criticism of Qatar's hosting of the tournament nobody has seen fit to mention the fact that the construction death toll is now well into 4 figures.
It's as if it's some distantly related statistic of passing interest.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's nonsense isn't it.

We're going to need a bigger spreadsheet and graph!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here