Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Whats the best company for home broadband?

My BT contract expires shortly and although I've checked a few comparison sites there are loads of offers from loads of companies, some Ive never heard of. Which companies would you recommend? Or avoid? I'm in Bexhill and have access to fibre (I think)

BT were charging me £39 a month which did include first 18 months BT Sports which was a bonus but not really necessary but this is about to go up to around £57. Latest test showed 42.4 upload and 10.9 download.

I just need a decent broad bad connection, just one PC and my mobile. No landline calls, no gaming (unless you count Solitaire and Sudoko) just need internet and emails, watching occasional live TV such as the news while working. And never never never any iffy footy streams :whistle:

Any suggestions welcomed by a 73 year old technophobe who failed the entry exam to the BG college of IT. :dunce:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Plusnet, get a deal plus probably cash card, includes BT sport though they dont advertise it well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Switched to NOWTV last January for 17.99 for 12 months, rising to 27.99 after that. That's broadband & landline phone.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My BT contract expires shortly and although I've checked a few comparison sites there are loads of offers from loads of companies, some Ive never heard of. Which companies would you recommend? Or avoid? I'm in Bexhill and have access to fibre (I think)

BT were charging me £39 a month which did include first 18 months BT Sports which was a bonus but not really necessary but this is about to go up to around £57. Latest test showed 42.4 upload and 10.9 download.

I just need a decent broad bad connection, just one PC and my mobile. No landline calls, no gaming (unless you count Solitaire and Sudoko) just need internet and emails, watching occasional live TV such as the news while working. And never never never any iffy footy streams :whistle:

Any suggestions welcomed by a 73 year old technophobe who failed the entry exam to the BG college of IT. :dunce:

Are you happy with the service they provide? if so go back to them via the loyalty team and they will offer you a better deal.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I've had BT and Virgin in the past. I've found the Virgin broadband far superior, with BT very noticeably having more problems and for longer durations. However Virgin customer service is one of the worst experiences a human being can endure, so if you do have a problem you're probably better off asking the cat for help. I'd be loathe to recommend Virgin because of their customer service but, and I hate to admit, their broadband was good.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I think experience is hugely dependent on where you are, geographically.
BT in one town might be great because it's just upgraded its infrastructure, but 10 miles away, might be a different experience.

If customer service is important - which and Money-supermarket have national ratings for this.

If price is everything, again, the compare sites will tell you who is tops

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Anyone got experience of vodaphone broadband? As I have currently have SIM only mobile deal they are offering Superfast 2 broadband (63mps) deal for £21 a month. Obviously actual speed will depend on my location and located BT wiring set up.

A quick check on Google suggests some issues and poor customer service. However, I'm mindful that people tend to only review when things are bad. Accordingly, would be interested to hear from anyone who has good experience with vodaphone.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Anyone got experience of vodaphone broadband? As I have currently have SIM only mobile deal they are offering Superfast 2 broadband (63mps) deal for £21 a month. Obviously actual speed will depend on my location and located BT wiring set up.

A quick check on Google suggests some issues and poor customer service. However, I'm mindful that people tend to only review when things are bad. Accordingly, would be interested to hear from anyone who has good experience with vodaphone.

Had Vodafone in Crawley, no complaints.

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting

All broadband with the exception of Virgin run over the BT copper lines. The speed you will achieve is purely down to line quality and, in the case of FTTC, distance to the cabinet.

Regarding Vodaphone BB if you do go for it I would suggest you set the DNS servers in your router to use Google (8.8.8.8) rather than the default Vodaphone DNS as they keep having issues with their DNS servers going down.

If you interested in likely speeds and are with BT you can check here: www.dslchecker.bt.com

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Plusnet, get a deal plus probably cash card, includes BT sport though they dont advertise it well.

Doesn't include BT sport unless as introductory offer, my dad's has now run out and it's a tenner a month. They also had horrendous problems with billing earlier this year and many customers (dad included) didn't receive a bill for months.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
It really depends where you live and if there are any Alt-Nets there (HyperOptic, CityFibre, GigaClear) etc as these tend to offer better connections than other providers.

Been with HyperOptic for just over a year. Signed up for 30mbps, but could have paid more for a faster connection. The connection has never dropped below that. A couple of months ago they upped me to 50mbps, at no extra cost. Absolutely delighted with their service.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I’ve had Sky and BT and Sky always wins with me. Generally Sky have better reviews, BT have a poorer reputation. I found it easier negotiating deals with Sky than BT especially recently.
With BT as someone else has said call them with a question over best price. Say you are not in a position to pay the increase. I would also get a figure from one of the price comparison sites, match the criteria especially estimated speeds, to show you are comparing like for like, and tell them the price and see if they can match.
If you are content with BT staying with them might be easiest option, but let them know you are not a mug and know the prices of their competitors.

https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/

Last edited:

kjgood

With Vodafone fibre get a solid 36 mbps havent ever noticed an outage I have no complaints, is faster than the sky service I had before and cheaper as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here