Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Tech help needed - DVD to MacBook

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I have a large file of home movies on DVD. I’m aware that over time they may deteriorate or get damaged so I’d like to get them copied somehow so I can store them digitally.

Everywhere I’ve looked online seems way to complex plus also uses software I’m not even sure I want to download.

Anyone got any thoughts on how to do this?

Cheers.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I use MakeMKV to rip the DVD to mkv files then handbrake to convert to whatever format.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Handbrake looks slightly technical at first, but really isn’t - and is an excellent piece of software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I thought it was naughty to rip DRM protected media.

I believe making backup copies of media you've bought is generally considered acceptable. If you then stick your entire film library on a file sharing site that isn't acceptable.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I use MakeMKV to rip the DVD to mkv files then handbrake to convert to whatever format.

Good point - I'd forgotten that Handbrake doesn't normally do the ripping, but it looks like in this case it will work standalone, as there shouldn't be any copy protection on the OP's home movie files?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Good point - I'd forgotten that Handbrake doesn't normally do the ripping, but it looks like in this case it will work standalone, as there shouldn't be any copy protection on the OP's home movie files?

I cannot remember whether I used handbrake to rip my home movies (after transferring from VHS to DVD) but I definately had to use MakeMKV to rip all my Bilko DVDs.

I’d like to do similar. Can I hook the DVD player up to the Mac, or do I need to buy a DVD driver?

Best to buy an external drive. I have an Apple Superdrive which has mixed reviews but it's always worked fine for me.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Thank for the advice. Handbrake worked really well today and was very straightforward. Used my Apple SuperDrive. Now happy to have a digital backup of some old family films!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here