Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sol Campbell and Southend United.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
He should have quit at the final whistle.

A managerial reign that lasts just 3 hours and involves overseeing a 7-1 defeat would have been one for the history books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

A managerial reign that lasts just 3 hours and involves overseeing a 7-1 defeat would have been one for the history books.

The "1" was a cracking free-kick from former Albion scholar (and Eastbourne lad) Isaac Hutchinson, to be fair:-

[TWEET]1186719124581429248[/TWEET]

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Taking over an hour before KO doesn't leave a lot of time to put your stamp on the team so 7-1 was not really something he could influence! Let's make the judgement next week once he has settled in.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I thought he was just in the stands to watch and officially takes over Saturday , i guess the players were just trying to impress last night .

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I thought he was just in the stands to watch and officially takes over Saturday , i guess the players were just trying to impress last night .

Two red cards in front of your new boss isn't likely to help their causes :ohmy:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The "1" was a cracking free-kick from former Albion scholar (and Eastbourne lad) Isaac Hutchinson, to be fair

Out of curiosity did you know off the top of your head Hutchinson was an ex-Albion scholar or do you keep track with some sort of database? Love it when you share little nuggets of info like that but can't imagine having the powers of recall myself to remember all those players!

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Out of curiosity did you know off the top of your head Hutchinson was an ex-Albion scholar or do you keep track with some sort of database? Love it when you share little nuggets of info like that but can't imagine having the powers of recall myself to remember all those players!

For good or bad, I could probably name virtually every scholar we've had on the books over the last 15 years - and a majority of the scholars/trainees for the 15 years before that! Once a player is associated with Albion, I tend not to forget. Having said that, yes I do have full details recorded and like to keep my notes updated of the current exploits of former youngsters (including former academy lads who were released without being offered a scholarship).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Southend moving to 21k seater new stadium too. Announcement in Nov. Exciting times to be a Prawn :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that he will do ok there and possibly keep them up but what did surprise me is on ITV they said that he had Andrew (Andy) Cole as a striker coach. How come they can afford one and we havent been able for 2 or 3 seasons, in fact we dont have one now I dont think.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I think that he will do ok there and possibly keep them up but what did surprise me is on ITV they said that he had Andrew (Andy) Cole as a striker coach. How come they can afford one and we havent been able for 2 or 3 seasons, in fact we dont have one now I dont think.

I’m sure we could afford one if we wanted one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would accept that but it begs the question of why do we not employ one as goal scoring is our major failing and has been for a couple of seasons.

Not paying the going rate for a Premier League striker is the biggest problem, most of the clubs outside the top 6 have the same problem though.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Love it when you share little nuggets of info like that ....

Another little titbit of random former Albion youngster minutiae, with a current flavour.....

Five years ago, 2nd-year scholar (and centre-back) Jamie Horncastle was captaining the Albion U-18s and typically partnering Ben White (who was a 1st-year scholar). Horncastle was released prior to the end of that 2014-15 season and moved to Bognor Regis Town the following campaign, subsequently being dual-registered to play in the Southern Combination Football League (County League, as was). He was the Pagham Players' Player of the Season in 2018-19.

You could barely have imagined the two players' careers having taken a more divergent path over the last 5 years.

I noted earlier this season that Horncastle had scored for his current team in the FA Cup. Actually, he has scored two goals in the FA Cup this season, for...... Chichester City! He must have thought that his chance of making national footballing headlines was long gone, but maybe......

There is another former Albion academy youngster in the Chichester squad - striker Callum Overton. He was the same year as Jamie Horncastle but was released at U-16 level. He did earn a scholarship at AFC Wimbledon but wasn't offered a professional contract and has been in non-league since (mostly in Sussex).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here