Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raheem Sterling

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Lightning quick over the first ten yards and reads a game incredibly well. Often let down by his touch though. As for comparing him to Messi and Ronaldo? Please don't, he isn't anywhere close to them. There are people in his own team who are better.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quarter finals in the Euro's, here we come.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think he benefits enormously from being in a team which gives him so many chances. He very rarely scores from outside the box and the majority of his goals are fro the 6 yard box. Most teams don't afford him such glorious chances. I think he needs to really enjoy these few seasons where Man City have an incredible team which give him good chance after good chance after good chance. When Guardiola is gone and the team starts to break up a bit, we'll see how many goals he's scoring.

I don't think there's any chance that he'll post the numbers he's been posting for the last 2/3 years when he's no longer playing in the best team in the league. That being said, he's pretty clearly a top player in outstanding form with brilliant movement and understanding of the game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1191332498061570049[/tweet]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fair play for Southgates honesty, but I'm quite surprised that all this was made public - surely it would have been simpler to have said he'd picked up a niggle in training or something, you don't usually hear about bust-ups like this, certainly not in the run-up to a game. Now every time Sterling and Gomez are in the squad, or facing each other in a game, there'll be a media circus surrounding it.

Sounds like Sterling has released a bit of his inner Pep. Can't do his players much good, seeing their manager completely losing his shit on the touchline. The pressure is clearly getting to them.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
An impish chap like Sterling desperately and impossibly attempting to reach the goliath-in-comparison Gomez's throat sounds all a bit Scrappy Doo to me.
Let me at 'im. Let me at 'im!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Fair play for Southgates honesty, but I'm quite surprised that all this was made public - surely it would have been simpler to have said he'd picked up a niggle in training or something, you don't usually hear about bust-ups like this, certainly not in the run-up to a game. Now every time Sterling and Gomez are in the squad, or facing each other in a game, there'll be a media circus surrounding it.

Sounds like Sterling has released a bit of his inner Pep. Can't do his players much good, seeing their manager completely losing his shit on the touchline. The pressure is clearly getting to them.

It happened in a public area, so sensible PR to get ahead of the story and let it be known that it's been dealt with, before the papers can take control.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It happened in a public area, so sensible PR to get ahead of the story and let it be known that it's been dealt with, before the papers can take control.

It happened in the canteen at St Georges Park, so not particularly 'public', although it sounds like most of the squad witnessed it.

I'm not criticising Southgate for getting hold of it though and fronting up, its quite refreshing in that respect. Since taking charge of England he's worked hard on the media PR side of things to be more open and keep them onside, so this is clearly a part of that way of thinking. As you say, sensible PR - but still quite surprising, IMO.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It happened in the canteen at St Georges Park, so not particularly 'public', although it sounds like most of the squad witnessed it.

Word on the street is that Gomez nicked the last Angel Delight that Sterling had his eye on :glare:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

People in the media will have you believe Pep's City players are now different to the players they once were.

Perhaps that's effected their ability to have a rational responses to stressful situations :wink:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
People in the media will have you believe Pep's City players are now different to the players they once were.

Perhaps that's effected their ability to have a rational responses to stressful situations :wink:

giphy.gif

Seems so very out of character for Sterling to blow up and lose his shit like that. I'm sure I have no idea where that may have come from.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
giphy.gif

Seems so very out of character for Sterling to blow up and lose his shit like that. I'm sure I have no idea where that may have come from.

Pep to leave in the summer, Sterling to Madrid

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Would it not have made sense for those that played on Sunday to meet up later with the squad, especially after such a big game on Sunday? Southgate could have given them the Monday off and the problem could have potentially be avoided as Sterling may have had a chance to calm down after Sunday.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Would it not have made sense for those that played on Sunday to meet up later with the squad, especially after such a big game on Sunday? Southgate could have given them the Monday off and the problem could have potentially be avoided as Sterling may have had a chance to calm down after Sunday.

We have a qualifier Thursday. We probably need more than 1 day training

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Sterling isn't usually a combustible character though, plus he and Gomez apparently embraced on the pitch after the final whistle so I don't think any problems like this could've been envisaged. With the game being on Thursday they've only really got 3 proper days of training. Hindsight and all that I suppose.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Might have been simpler - but it would have been untrue and that isn't Southgate's style. The truth would have bound to have leaked out eventually (seeing as the incident, whilst not in public, apparently took place in front of lots of witnesses) and then he'd have given himself an additional problem trying to explain why he'd lied.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here