Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chichester City already in FA Cup 2nd Round

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Chi is very much Pompey, even with our recent elevation into the Premier league I think there's me and about half a dozen others. Oh, and the usual selection of southern reds and plastic mancs.

there are a lot of places further west than Sussex with pockets of Albion supporters......we don't ALL live in Sussex !!

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Hopefully, with Adam Webster being a Wittering boy who went to Chichester High School for Boys, this may change!
I think he started his career at the great unwashed and is a fan, although I know a lot of his family support Spurs.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Indeed - you rarely see an Albion shirt in Chichester, while Pompey shirts are everywhere. By contrast, Albion In The Community are very active in the area, running very successful football schools for youngsters at primary schools and the University.

Not sure I agree. Have lived in Chi all my life and the dividing lines used to be LA/Brighton, Bognor/Pompey. Bognor def Brighton now and Chi fairly split. As you say, AITC very strong in the area and consequently most kids in the Chi area are Brighton.

Two caveats: still a lot of London and Man U ‘fans’ around and perhaps the demise of Pompey and renaissance of BHA fans locally at least partly a reflection of the relative success/collapse of the two clubs rather than a permanent change?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure I agree. Have lived in Chi all my life and the dividing lines used to be LA/Brighton, Bognor/Pompey. Bognor def Brighton now and Chi fairly split. As you say, AITC very strong in the area and consequently most kids in the Chi area are Brighton.

Two caveats: still a lot of London and Man U ‘fans’ around and perhaps the demise of Pompey and renaissance of BHA fans locally at least partly a reflection of the relative success/collapse of the two clubs rather than a permanent change?

Back in the 1970s Chichester was nearly 100% Pompey. (Brighton fans became a minority anywhere west of Littlehampton). Even when we were in the 1st division the old allegiances remained. I was wondering if that had changed much recently and I've spoken to others like yourself who say there's way more Brighton there now. However there's still work to do; watching the draw last night from Chichester the manager and/or chairman said "A lot of people are Portsmouth fans".

EDIT: And in the 70s/80s. Bognor was pretty solid Pompey. The Bognor FC fans used to chant "Beeeee og Ner!" to mimic the "Peeeee orts Muff!" chant.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
That's a little odd. 'Chich', maybe...

It’s bloody annoying when people call it Chi and when they use LA for Littlehampton.

Just use the real names FFS.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Assumed Chichester is West Sussex’s county town. AITC should have rich pickings. Just over an hour by train to Falmer. I blame BBC regional news at 6.30 which even steers Horsham area viewers to sporting updates on Portsmouth.

D

Deleted member 2719

Wouldn`t Chichester have more of an affinity with Pompey than the Albion, probably closer and used to be a lot of Pompey fans in that part of West Sussex?

Indeed - you rarely see an Albion shirt in Chichester, while Pompey shirts are everywhere. By contrast, Albion In The Community are very active in the area, running very successful football schools for youngsters at primary schools and the University.

Chichester definitely more Pompey, certainly was when I was at college there

Chi is very much Pompey, even with our recent elevation into the Premier league I think there's me and about half a dozen others. Oh, and the usual selection of southern reds and plastic mancs.

I disagree, I have been here since 2004, and Pompey has been obliterated in the last 3 years, hardly see a Pompey shirt, but see many families wearing the stripes proudly throughout the City of Chi.

The youth work like some have said has helped immensely, and of course, being in the premier league.

Too right it is. Lots of support for the albion from us Bognor lads and lasses.

Bognor is full of Brighton and Legia Warszawa, no room for Pompey.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here