Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Advice required with radiator issue on new combi boiler system

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Hi. Just wondered whether the good folks of NSC might be able help on this issue with radiators powered by a newly installed combi boiler?

New Viessman combi boiler installed including a very neat programmable room thermostat that can connects by WiFi. All is well except for radiators which have all been fitted with brand new Drayton TRV's. The problem I have is the wide variance in settings required on the TRV's to get the radiators to the same temperature i.e. radiator in bedroom one is set to 2 and as one would expect is just luke warm. However, radiator in bedroom two is also set to 2 and yet is red hot as if the TRV was set to Max. Other radiators have the same variance.

A little bit of Googling initially seemed to suggest that radiators needed balancing. However, a further read suggested that balancing means adjusting the radiator valves so that the radiators all heat up at the same rate. Of course this is not my issue as they all heat up fairly rapidly but it's just the difference in settings required on the TRVS.

Just to confirm that it's a brand new combi boiler system and whilst we used our old radiators they were all bled and power flushed and when system was fitted there were no concerns raised about the working of the radiators.

Would appreciate any advice as want to avoid the installers sucking in their cheeks and suggesting we need brand new radiators. I should add that with the old gravity fed system the radiators worked fine with consistent settings on achieving the same temperatures.

And of course I have tried turning it off and on again :)

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
If you have all TRV heads taken off, and heat the rads from cold, do all rads heat up same speed and temp?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If you have all TRV heads taken off, and heat the rads from cold, do all rads heat up same speed and temp?

Sorry I'm heavily allergic to any form of basic DIY let alone trying to get them off from a heating system full of scalding water. What would what you suggest be seeking to test?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Hi. Just wondered whether the good folks of NSC might be able help on this issue with radiators powered by a newly installed combi boiler?

New Viessman combi boiler installed including a very neat programmable room thermostat that can connects by WiFi. All is well except for radiators which have all been fitted with brand new Drayton TRV's. The problem I have is the wide variance in settings required on the TRV's to get the radiators to the same temperature i.e. radiator in bedroom one is set to 2 and as one would expect is just luke warm. However, radiator in bedroom two is also set to 2 and yet is red hot as if the TRV was set to Max. Other radiators have the same variance.

A little bit of Googling initially seemed to suggest that radiators needed balancing. However, a further read suggested that balancing means adjusting the radiator valves so that the radiators all heat up at the same rate. Of course this is not my issue as they all heat up fairly rapidly but it's just the difference in settings required on the TRVS.

Just to confirm that it's a brand new combi boiler system and whilst we used our old radiators they were all bled and power flushed and when system was fitted there were no concerns raised about the working of the radiators.

Would appreciate any advice as want to avoid the installers sucking in their cheeks and suggesting we need brand new radiators. I should add that with the old gravity fed system the radiators worked fine with consistent settings on achieving the same temperatures.

And of course I have tried turning it off and on again :)
Are there trvs on every rad/terminal? If so, with a small/modest demand the system would pump against a restricted flow. Pressure would increase above operating conditions of trvs and hence varied performance may result.

If you've a towel rail or rad without a trv so that pressure is relieved then **** knows

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Just a thought but when you say you've put them both on 2 are you sure? I e so 2 lines up with the indicator, not just 2 facing forwards or whatever.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Reading your post again...

Trvs restrict flow when the room approaches the set temperature, they do not control the temperature of the radiator.

Changing to a combi boiler means more than likely the flow to your radiators now takes a different route, so they will not get hot in the order you may be used to.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Thermostatic radiator valves can be a bit hit and miss in my opinion. If you turn them down they sometimes can't decide if they want to come back on. The firm that fitted the boiler should have rebalanced the system with all valves open to begin with. This is what I always did. Even on a filled system you can have air trapped.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Turn them all up/down until you are happy with the temperature in each room.

Works for us, it's traditionally a rotary valve system, or 'tap' works a ****ing treat. . . .pretty much since it was installed . . . .before I was born probably! We have a combi boiler too. Nobodies fried or frozen in 16 years, and I've still not met a plumber who's any good. I've solved simple intermittent problems with our boiler which have stumped numerous sharks charlatans and halfwits in shiny vans. The old Worcester Bosch is as fit as a fiddle.

Obviously if you need regular variable room temperatures or change room usage on a regular basis things will vary. I'd recommend a psychiatrist, or if you're that gullible, a feng shui tw@t.

Apologies in advance, I'm feeling particularly saarchastic this evening, and plumbers, generally, deserve the best of,it

Most thermostats are bimetallic strips or wax . . . . Wax stats are vague at best. We don't use them in tuned engines, to slow, too vague and inconsistent. . . . .which can be very expensive when things cook and go bang

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Turn them all up/down until you are happy with the temperature in each room.

Works for us, it's traditionally a rotary valve system, or 'tap' works a ****ing treat. . . .pretty much since it was installed . . . .before I was born probably! We have a combi boiler too. Nobodies fried or frozen in 16 years, and I've still not met a plumber who's any good. I've solved simple intermittent problems with our boiler which have stumped numerous sharks charlatans and halfwits in shiny vans. The old Worcester Bosch is as fit as a fiddle.

Obviously if you need regular variable room temperatures or change room usage on a regular basis things will vary. I'd recommend a psychiatrist, or if you're that gullible, a feng shui tw@t.

All wrong uns those plumbing types :D

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Would appreciate any advice as want to avoid the installers sucking in their cheeks and suggesting we need brand new radiators.

Sorry I'm heavily allergic to any form of basic DIY l

I've still not met a plumber who's any good. I've solved simple intermittent problems with our boiler which have stumped numerous sharks charlatans and halfwits in shiny vans.

but customers are told “getting vital parts from the merchants”

I once said I would never reply to plumbing threads .......:moo:

We both agreed to that after the washing machine valve thread. :smile:
Now that was hard work. :wozza:

I missed that memo, but taking note of all the compliments above, people still want free advice...?! :wozza: Will join you on the terraces from now on.. :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

*edit* Just spotted that OP HAS tried turning it off and on again. I regret therefore that I can be of no further assistance on this occasion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here