Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Colchester info

Nostalgia

Mar 22, 2012
Staying over on thursday, 2 couples, any recommendations for any decent pubs that might have a bit of life on a thursday night and ant good restaurants or good Curry houses?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Should have made the effort to stay over the weekend for some real entertainment. Namely the local travellers having the usual rumble with the locally stationed squaddies!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Staying over on thursday, 2 couples, any recommendations for any decent pubs that might have a bit of life on a thursday night and ant good restaurants or good Curry houses?

The #1 restaurant in Colchester according to TA is the student-cheffed “Balkerne” at the Colchester Institute. I fear that might tell you all you need to know...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
WOW!! :lolol:

Makes a change from I'm going to Florida etc :D

Well it does make a change.... in that the OP presumably genuinely wants advice and info and sees this as a better option than Trip Adviser or any other travel blogs. Usually these sort of threads are an incredibly thinly disguised ...."i'm going somewhere nice and I want some attention for it". If he's going to Colchester, i'm going to call, he's not showing off

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
My good friend Giles does some business in Colchester, I’ll ask him and let you know.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Well it does make a change.... in that the OP presumably genuinely wants advice and info and sees this as a better option than Trip Adviser or any other travel blogs. Usually these sort of threads are an incredibly thinly disguised ...."i'm going somewhere nice and I want some attention for it". If he's going to Colchester, i'm going to call, he's not showing off

Absolutely.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Should have made the effort to stay over the weekend for some real entertainment. Namely the local travellers having the usual rumble with the locally stationed squaddies!

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't make such ludicrous quotes :laugh:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Those who live in glass houses shouldn't make such ludicrous quotes :laugh:

Well I was last out there about 10 years ago, but one of the things I remember is that there are a couple of pubs in one end of town where there's always military police out in case the squaddies get carried away and a fight starts

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well I was last out there about 10 years ago, but one of the things I remember is that there are a couple of pubs in one end of town where there's always military police out in case the squaddies get carried away and a fight starts

It's the same with all army garrison towns.
Whilst I was on a resettlement course at Aldershot a while back, a few of us ended up in a strippers pub, where a few locals were also there.
Cut a long story short, as soon as the dolly bird got down to her grundies, bottles started to fly between HM Forces and the local inbred.
I got out before it went mad :D

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's the same with all army garrison towns.
Whilst I was on a resettlement course at Aldershot a while back, a few of us ended up in a strippers pub, where a few locals were also there.
Cut a long story short, as soon as the dolly bird got down to her grundies, bottles started to fly between HM Forces and the local inbred.
I got out before it went mad :D

Dolly bird, when was this, 1974? :D

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
F..uck.ing hell Ive just realised he said Colchester. I read it as Chichester and thought Christ that’s grim..

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe

Lived there for 5 years. If you get chance go to the Station in Wivenhoe (you guessed it opposite a station). It is 3 mins on the train from Colchester and is down by the river. The Rose and Crown (a Greene King) is down by the river and is a beautiful spot when the weather is good, the station is a proper good old boozer, no food, cigs over the counter and the such. The atmosphere is amazing weekend evenings.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here