Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who in our team is good at shooting?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Montoya?
Did you see his ' attempts ' at goal at Villa? :D

Yeh I agree. Not good but what I was meaning was that Montoya and Jahanbkash when they strike a ball they can generate more power naturally.

Most natural stiker of a ball I ever seen was Gary Mc Allister. He always used hit through it so naturally that he could generate so much power even it looked like he was just chipping the ball

BroadwayGull

Jan 31, 2014
Worthing
15% is truly dismal and probably ranks him below some of the very worst players we've had in the history of the club. Also the ones on target have generally been unconvincing and straight at the keeper, there were a couple at one of the earlier home games, maybe Southampton.

This could, and I think should, cost him his place. I don't know much about Alzate's shooting yet as it's early days with him, though I was quite impressed at the way where at St James Park he found space in the box, then planted a header past Dubravka ... only to be ruled offside. Anyway, he looks like he has more goals in him than Davy

Here's a little comparison with our other midfielders:

Dale Stephens
39 shots
5 shots on target
13% shot accuracy ???

Aaron Mooy
75 shots
21 shots on target
28% shot accuracy

Yves Bissouma
32 shots
4 shots on target
13% shot accuracy ???

Pascal Gross
81 shots
30 shots on target
37% shooting accuracy

So it seems Stephens and Bissouma are even more woeful at shooting than Propper.

Solly is the main threat to the police control box. He has nailed one or two in the top corner in his time here, but a very inconsistent shooter. He struggles to get power. If I was his manager I’d tell him not to bother unless he’s closer than the penalty spot.
So would I, and I think somebody should tell him that CH's desire for more goals from him doesn't apply any more.

This is the thread I didn't dare start after having a go at Maupay after the West Ham game.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Dale Stephens
39 shots
5 shots on target
13% shot accuracy ???

Aaron Mooy
75 shots
21 shots on target
28% shot accuracy

Yves Bissouma
32 shots
4 shots on target
13% shot accuracy ???

Pascal Gross
81 shots
30 shots on target
37% shooting accuracy

So it seems Stephens and Bissouma are even more woeful at shooting than Propper.

Interesting. And backs up what many have said before about not having enough of a goal threat from midfield. 13%, 13% and 15% shooting accuracy from 3 of our top line midfielders. I'm not saying they don't have other strings to their bows or they're not good players, I just hope they and the coaching staff are doing everything they can to put this right

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
15% is truly dismal and probably ranks him below some of the very worst players we've had in the history of the club. Also the ones on target have generally been unconvincing and straight at the keeper, there were a couple at one of the earlier home games, maybe Southampton.

This could, and I think should, cost him his place. I don't know much about Alzate's shooting yet as it's early days with him, though I was quite impressed at the way where at St James Park he found space in the box, then planted a header past Dubravka ... only to be ruled offside. Anyway, he looks like he has more goals in him than Davy

Well I couldn't disagree more, I don't really care if DP never scores for us ever as long as he continues to be the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to second guessing, intercepting, deft touches and killer passes.

He's only just back from an injury, but like Gross, when fit and in form, is an integral part of a successful team at PL level for us. . . . .we don't have anyone better. Yet.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Well I couldn't disagree more, I don't really care if DP never scores for us ever as long as he continues to be the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to second guessing, intercepting, deft touches and killer passes.

He's only just back from an injury, but like Gross, when fit and in form, is an integral part of a successful team at PL level for us. . . . .we don't have anyone better. Yet.

Are you sure you didn’t mean Stephens? He does at least three of those things better than DP... I think it limits us having both play as neither create or score goals (how many of those in 2 and a bit seasons? Whatever the number is, it isn’t enough) Stephens for me is the better player in my opinion, think DP is massively overrated by some in our fan base

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Locadia is actually decent with both feet and hits it with power...

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Bissouma is probably the most frustrating for me, as he has the knack of creating time and space for shooting opportunities but lacks composure when pulling the trigger.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Montoya?
Did you see his ' attempts ' at goal at Villa? :D

Dale Stephens
39 shots
5 shots on target
13% shot accuracy ???

Aaron Mooy
75 shots
21 shots on target
28% shot accuracy

Yves Bissouma
32 shots
4 shots on target
13% shot accuracy ???

Pascal Gross
81 shots
30 shots on target
37% shooting accuracy

This ! Embarassing attempt!

Yet, as it technically was 'on target' it would count in the accuracy stats.

We seem to have had a weakness in hitting clean shots for a while now, forever scuffing shots (even Trossard has had a couple of howlers this season). I wonder if it's pressure rather than technique?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Wasn't there a story about David Beckham staying behind after training just to practice shooting over and over again? I wonder how many of our players do that? Get that muscle memory working...

I'm sure I read somewhere that DiCanio used to do it at West Ham and Lampard thought it would be worthwhile joining him rather than going down the snooker club with Ruddock.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Wasn't there a story about David Beckham staying behind after training just to practice shooting over and over again? I wonder how many of our players do that? Get that muscle memory working...

I’ll guess not Stephens, Bissouma or Propper

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I always think a model for shooting is Harry Kane.

Now, there are 100 more talented footballers in the Premier League than him. But he gets 25+ a season and has been made England captain, primarily on the basis on being able to hit it hard, low and early off either foot.

Now I know Stephens etc are midfielders not strikers they, have other talents and can’t be expected to be in his league ball-striking-wise … but I do find the way he consistently manages to generate such power interesting to see.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think some of it is a hangover from last season. If, as it seems, not losing possession was very strongly the name of the game, they seemed reluctant to shoot fast and early - same with crossing; never whip it straight in a la Alexander-Arnold or Tavernier, but pass to someone else - same reluctance to take a snap shot.

Like many things this season, it's maybe something the players are having to start getting used to, but it won't happen overnight.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think some of it is a hangover from last season. If, as it seems, not losing possession was very strongly the name of the game, they seemed reluctant to shoot fast and early - same with crossing; never whip it straight in a la Alexander-Arnold or Tavernier, but pass to someone else - same reluctance to take a snap shot.

Like many things this season, it's maybe something the players are having to start getting used to, but it won't happen overnight.

Yeh, but it is reluctance? I think it’s pragmatism. We’re just bad at it. See the stats posted (or watch any Albion game). I think Potter has seen enough dibbly, dobbly trundlers and airline threateners in training to say “look lads, this isn’t our strong suit, when you get a sight of goal try and find a team mate in a better position”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here