Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who in our team is good at shooting?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
From either inside or outside the box. Who can generate real power and get it on target?

Very good

Trossard

Quite good

Gross Connolly

Inconsistent

March, Izquierdo, Stephens, Bissouma, Maupay, Murray

Woeful

Propper

No idea / don’t think I’ve ever seen them shoot for us

All of our defenders, Ali J, Alzate, Mooy

Fell free to recategorise any of these, but I’m trying to make a point. We’re not that good at it. I watch the pre match shooting drills, (usually with a view to getting a first scorer bet on) and there’s more flying over the bar than there is flying in the net, which is a bit of a worry for a Premier League Team.

There’s a lot of talk about us overplaying and trying to walk it in, but maybe this is tactical. Ie we’re playing an extra pass because we’re trying to hide a weakness, or maybe we just lack confidence. Anyway if I’m an opposing manager I’d be telling my defenders to stay on their feet and invite a shot from 20 yards as it probably won’t go in. Is that fair?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
From either inside or outside the box. Who can generate real power and get it on target?

Very good

Trossard

Quite good

Gross Connolly

Inconsistent

Woeful

Propper

No idea / don’t think I’ve ever seen them shoot for us

All of our defenders, Ali J, Alzate, Mooy

??? http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsop...-premier-leagues-third-most-clinical-striker/

Now it’s been revealed that Murray is the third most clinical striker in the Premier League. Across the course of the 2018-19 season, he converted more of his chances than Mo Salah, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Sergio Aguero. Only Anthony Martial and Sadio Mane were more deadly than Murray.

To qualify for the list, you have to have at least five goals to your name. United’s Martial leads the way with 10 goals from 39 shots, a conversion rate of 25.6%.

Liverpool‘s Mane is next. He scored 22 times from 87 shots on his way to finishing tied for the Golden Boot with Salah and Aubameyang. That’s a conversion rate of 25.3%

Then comes Murray. The Albion’s talismanic forward scored 13 times in the league last season from only 54 shots, meaning he took 24.1% of the chances that he had.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
??? http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsop...-premier-leagues-third-most-clinical-striker/

Now it’s been revealed that Murray is the third most clinical striker in the Premier League. Across the course of the 2018-19 season, he converted more of his chances than Mo Salah, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Sergio Aguero. Only Anthony Martial and Sadio Mane were more deadly than Murray.

To qualify for the list, you have to have at least five goals to your name. United’s Martial leads the way with 10 goals from 39 shots, a conversion rate of 25.6%.

Liverpool‘s Mane is next. He scored 22 times from 87 shots on his way to finishing tied for the Golden Boot with Salah and Aubameyang. That’s a conversion rate of 25.3%

Then comes Murray. The Albion’s talismanic forward scored 13 times in the league last season from only 54 shots, meaning he took 24.1% of the chances that he had.

Murray, the fact that he's got 100 goals+ for us and his 100% stats compare well with Aguero says to me he can shoot. But is that misleading? How many times can you remember him busting the net? How many goals from outside the area? Not many. He's a fantastic penalty box striker, he gets his goals with a combination of movement, anticipation and know how. It's not goalscoring nous I'm really talking about.

What I'm talking about is that when you're in the crowd and you see an Albion player line one up, do you have the feeling it's going to fly in the net?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm wondering if there's been a boot mix up at some point and that's the problem.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm wondering if there's been a boot mix up at some point and that's the problem.

A consignment of carpet slippers delivered to the Amex by mistake you mean?

PoG

Oct 29, 2013

Inconsistent

Woeful

Propper

Sorry, for me Stephens and Biss are in the woeful section too.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A consignment of carpet slippers delivered to the Amex by mistake you mean?

I think it was these. LR boots.JPG

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sorry, for me Stephens and Biss are in the woeful section too.

In my mind, Stephens got his way out of it, through two impressively struck volleys against Spurs, but for the most part he's been down in woeful for his time at the club.

Bissouma, decent hit at Bournemouth in the cup last season. But yes far from convincing on every other occasion

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
In my mind, Stephens got his way out of it, through two impressively struck volleys against Spurs, but for the most part he's been down in woeful for his time at the club.

Can see where you're coming from as those two volleys were very well struck, but two stand out strikes in seven seasons is woeful.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Can see where you're coming from as those two volleys were very well struck, but two stand out strikes in seven seasons is woeful.

It is.

Dale has raised every aspect of his game this season

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that any of them come in the very good bracket often enough. Some of the shooting is both woeful and wasteful I know the old adage if you dont shoot you wont score but there is a limit

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Re Stephens

Decent strike on that youtube vid. But we’re scraping the barrel really aren’t we. 7 seasons and all that. Having said that, in the pre match warm up drills, Stephens looks as good as anyone.

Solly is the main threat to the police control box. He has nailed one or two in the top corner in his time here, but a very inconsistent shooter. He struggles to get power. If I was his manager I’d tell him not to bother unless he’s closer than the penalty spot.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Gross is probably as good as anybody but cost us dearly on Saturday with a poor attempt at lobbing Heaton which gave them possession with a minute to go.

I think your timelines are a bit crossed there. He did attempt to lob the keeper earlier in the half, but that last minute one was a misplaced pass.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Do we need a category above Trossard for Balogun...?

BALO2.gif

An excellent example of something we don’t see very often. A good shot. It doesn’t have to be from long range to be one. You just need to see the sort of poise, technique and composure expertly displayed by Balogun.

In saying we don’t see it very often, I’m not having a pop. Scoring a header from a set piece counts the same as roofing a 30 yarder. I’m just making the point that it’s a noticeable gap in our armoury. I think it’s quite unusual at this level to have at least 8 or 9 first teamers who if the ball is sitting up for them to strike from 20 yards, you in your heart of hearts, know that either going to dribble to the keeper or end up in Bennetts Field.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here