sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Sussex have been mugged!

Sussex won't have anyone left!

Just about true

Sussex will lose 11 players to this competition. More than any other county

Our team for the 50 over competition will be decimated

Glamorgan who will host a 100 franchise despite getting smaller crowds than Somerset, Essex or Sussex who are not hosts grounds. Glamorgan lose 3 players

Lots of money goiing to overseas coaches and players

Thanks a lot ECB

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

The 50 over competition has been downgraded to a development competition with no overseas players permitted.

So a season after England win the 50 over world cup the ECB has effectively thrown the 50 over competition into the bin. I wonder what they will do when the next 50 over world cup comes around in 2023.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
For what it's worth, and that is very little, Southern have the strongest side in the draft.

As I said, it's worth very little. I'd rather this tournament didn't exist.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with everything said on this thread thus far but I'd add the point about just how shit the team names are. It's like they've been picked from a random generator, like the one that names hurricanes or police operations.

They'd have been better off with Northern Monkeys, Welsh Windbags, Southern Softies, London Pride, Terence Trent Derby and Manchester Mad 4 It.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Was half watching Sky Sports News when it covered the story. Looked a bit of a shambles, but I'm still convinced it'll be popular with a certain element of the cricket fanbase...

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
There is a determined air from cricket fans to see this fail. I'll watch., not fussed but i'll have a look. Lets face it county game attracts about 6 people, and only that amount if the suns out, 50 overs was decent turn out at Sussex but not for all counties and test matches, apart from the Aussies, don't sell like they used to.

The game is in serious trouble. 20/20 big this year, thanks to world cup, but next season sure it will drop, 100 or not.

The whole sport is in serious decline

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I expect it will be on PPV somewhere but I don't have that so fortunately, I won't even have the effort to turn it over when it comes on.

Think I heard one of the cricketing chiefs say in an interview, in response to criticism that the Ashes wasn't on terrestrial so was not able to build on interest in cricket generated by the World Cup, that the 100 WOULD be on terrestrial

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Thumbs up to the comments on this thread.

I’ll add my negativity to this ridiculous concept. The sad thing, not mentioned elsewhere, is that some games will be shown on the BBC. Sad to think think the first time cricket returns to free to air Tv since about 2005 will be for this sad, cynical travesty of the beautiful game.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I'm interested in cricket and I support and follow Sussex but in truth rarely watch them play. But this! Why should I be in the slightest interested? Which team would I support? And why? I don't even know which is the nearest team to Sussex.

A big turn off for me.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
How to kill our wonderful county. A while squad of players selected and we agreed to relieve a Paltry 1 million for this.

Will end with us moving and merging with Southampton.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just about true

Sussex will lose 11 players to this competition. More than any other county

Glamorgan who will host a 100 franchise despite getting smaller crowds than Somerset, Essex or Sussex who are not hosts grounds. Glamorgan lose 3 players

Lots of money goiing to overseas coaches and players

Thanks a lot ECB

Indeed. One of the craziest ideas the ECB has come up with in years me thinks. :wrong:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The Hundred overwhelmingly panned on this thread

But will the ECB mind?

They’re clearly aiming for an entirely different audience. Women and children yes, but also non-white British from inner cities. They want it to feel like an IPL game.

To get either audience interested the ECB are planning to persuade them it’s not going to be the boozy, (and sometimes sweary) football crowd that go to 2020s.

Step 1 of the plan, to completely alienate their core base of cricket lovers, has worked. Step 2, to get a new audience to take their place, is much more difficult.

It’s a ballsy gamble and i’m not 100% convinced it won’t work, though as has been pointed out, there will be significant collateral damage to the rest of domestic cricket.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The Southern Brave's women's side will play at Hove.

Danni Wyatt, Anya Shrubsole and former Kiwi skipper Suzie Bates pre-selected. No idea when the women's draft will be completed.

As for last night, didn't it just drag on? Why the ECB didn't just follow the format of the IPL & BBL that have both been hugely successful (and resulted in the format being followed in other competitions across the world) is baffling. Just change for change sake. More money to watch less cricket I would imagine.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You didn't need a new tournament - just make the Blast free-to-air. Maybe make 1 of the England test match series each year free-to-air. Get cricket back to being available to everyone to watch. The less people watch it, the less relevant it will be, no matter how many tournaments you make.

Every year around Wimbledon time municipal tennis courts are packed. No shit Sherlock.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Danni Wyatt, Anya Shrubsole and former Kiwi skipper Suzie Bates pre-selected. No idea when the women's draft will be completed.

As for last night, didn't it just drag on? Why the ECB didn't just follow the format of the IPL & BBL that have both been hugely successful (and resulted in the format being followed in other competitions across the world) is baffling. Just change for change sake. More money to watch less cricket I would imagine.

While the County Championship lays hemorrhaging on the floor in the corner, rather than instigating immediate medical attention, the ECB has moved a sight screen to block the view.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

I only watched the first half an hour but the 100 is advertised as an event to include women equally. All I saw where a few women cricketers, they interviewed briefly two out of the three and asked them which man they would chose for their team WTF

I just assumed they would do the women's draft after the men's, equality ??? yeah right

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I'm interested in cricket and I support and follow Sussex but in truth rarely watch them play. But this! Why should I be in the slightest interested? Which team would I support? And why? I don't even know which is the nearest team to Sussex.

A big turn off for me.

Why not support the Lady Braves playing at Hove .

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
The Hundred overwhelmingly panned on this thread

But will the ECB mind?

They’re clearly aiming for an entirely different audience. Women and children yes, but also non-white British from inner cities. They want it to feel like an IPL game.

To get either audience interested the ECB are planning to persuade them it’s not going to be the boozy, (and sometimes sweary) football crowd that go to 2020s.

Step 1 of the plan, to completely alienate their core base of cricket lovers, has worked. Step 2, to get a new audience to take their place, is much more difficult.

It’s a ballsy gamble and i’m not 100% convinced it won’t work, though as has been pointed out, there will be significant collateral damage to the rest of domestic cricket.

I agree, and made the same point on a similar thread a couple of weeks ago. Those complaining that they won't have a team to support aren't invited anyway.

Personally, I hope it bombs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here