Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Still keeping the faith with Potter?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As opposed to turning into one of the most negative by the end of last season...hoping to stay positive even if the worst happens. I am loving the way we are playing and look forward to every game now whereas I began to dread going to games as last season wore on. I’m in the “entertain me” camp over the “ results justify the means” camp. Each to their own eh?

When we were raped and pillaged as a club I was 100% behind whatever shit was on display on the pitch because survival was all that mattered. Now I don’t care what division we are in as long as we play entertaining football, but obviously hope it carries on being at the top table.

I could have happily given up on going if we’d carried on playing like we did most of last season. I would have become an armchair fan quite possibly. Yeah I know, bad fan but these days there are plenty to take my place.

Great post and absolutely agree. I wouldn’t have said you were the most negative though [emoji2].

As you know I’m a ‘win at all costs’ merchant. But the Tottenham game was simply brilliant.

Saturday frustrated me more than anything, as the last 5-10 mins we could have adopted a far better defensive shape and got a point.

I’d always go whatever though, I like the discussion and seeing everyone as much as anything.

Hope we play Everton off the park Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I'm loving this season. We are so exciting to watch and have been the better team in every game apart from City/Chelsea away. We should be much higher in the league. I'm so glad we sacked Hughton.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Love GP a man who knows his onions. A certain Man City boss didn’t have the best first season and then the rest is history similar styles of play. Also we seem to play against 12 men every week with some of the shocker ref decisions. Is Grealish picking up Mooy’s first yellow not a cat in hells chance.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Yes i am on the firmly pro-Potter side. We're undrearified, but need to turn that into enough results to satisfy those who only want points. I want them too, and goals, for that matter, but deadliness often comes at a large financial cost. I think, as we have seen for quite some time, goal threat needs to be from a team effort that isn't quite coming. Centre-halfs and strikers bag an average few, but a great more shouldn't be expected of them. A fit Trossard will be key, i think. That pacey link-up play with the aim to get in there and cause havoc seems to be a vital option. He won't score every time, but he has more about him to be in the right place and want to take strike. Goals from Dale and Propper are rare, or non-existent, and whilst Gross will pepper the goal with shots, as well as heads with inch-perfect crosses, we need a more collective effort, and probably constant training on hitting the inside of the post.
It's generally lovely to see us playing as we do though.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
100% behind Potter, although a few small concerns.

1. We need to play till the final whistle - late goals at the end of the first half Saturday and at the end of the game Vs Burnley and Villa have cost us.
2. Needs to get a handle on the discipline, Andone shipped out, but Mooy was silly and Montoya was on a tightrope. Reds and yellows will keep costing us.
3. Would have put Murray on rather than Alzate on Saturday, putting March through the middle was a waste and we ended up sitting so deep. Muzza would have hopefully had the intelligence to win us a free-kick on the half-way line and get us up.

But small things that he can hopefully resolve.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I have spent years in awe of players from the big clubs on the telly pinging the ball to each other at pace and moving into space, playing quick exciting football, and never thought it would come from the Albion. This guy has been a revelation and whoever was responsible for identifying him and getting him here is destined for the Hall of Fame.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
if you are not on the Potter train then you know nothing about football

I am not a football expert but isn’t an important part of league football accumulating more points than other teams? We don’t have that many.
Not to say I’m not on potter traIn. It’s great seeing us play football.
We need to rise up the table, for him to be considered a success though.
Surely.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The transformation in a few months is extraordinary.
You would expect by the second half of this season we should be in a very good position.

I'm curious just how much he can get out of this squad tbh.
Is there more to come? Or has he got us to peak Albion in a very short time.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The exciting attacking play is one thing, but it's not bringing us enough reward. According to the Premier League we're fifth in big chances missed, many of which must be shots hit straight at the goalkeeper, an area in which I think we excel.

Also defending is 50 percent of the game. and ours was terrible for both goals at Villa. In each case nobody stayed with a runner into the box. In fact, for the second someone (Solly March?) tracked Targett and then left him.

Consistently playing well and still losing is a classic prelude to relegation. Okay, there's a long way to go and if we can keep eleven men on the field more often than not then things ought to improve. Last year we got more points than we deserved early on but eventually found our true level. That may well happen again and if it does we'll end up around 12th-14th. But we have thrown away too many points so far thanks to failings in both boxes and that has to change or we'll be in trouble.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That is the most pathetic excuse given out for defeats. 90% of the entertainment value of football is in achieving a result and if done in style so much the better.

Really? So you have only been entertained twice this season? Now THAT is pathetic imo, if so

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Definitely, he can't be blamed for some of the rash stupidity that comes from players getting sent off etc.
When we play 11 against 11 we are more than a match, just wish we could keep all the team on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here