Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] BHA Hall of Fame

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Why not Dunk?

Brighton boy, more club appearances than Peter Ward and Mark Lawrenson, England international whilst still at the club,and now skipper in what could prove to be our most successful period ever.

Ditto for Bruno, and Caldi.

I agree that these players should be in a Hall of Fame, but I was looking more in terms of a priority six from our history, not necessarily recent heroes from the last five minutes.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Just players? What about Mike Bamber, Dick Knight. Tony Bloom, Billy Lane, Alan Mullery, Chris Hughton?

I’d include John Vinnicombe, Fred the Argus, Frankie Howard for his pitch maintenance and Paul Samrah who are now all part of our club history. Guess the idea of a Hall of Fame needs a bit more thought.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Let's hope not, Yorkshire would be easier! ;-)

70's Peter Ward/Alan Mullery/Brian Horton

Early 80's probably not Gordon Smith (he did score actually. . . .) maybe Michael Robinson (bottled it at Smiths expense) and whilst passed his prime, Jimmy Case.

Late 80's Garry Nelson. . . . Robert Codnor?

Zamora

It's like comparing fangio with Jensen button, impossible and pointless.

Robert Codner? Using that criteria may as well include Mark Farrington and Ashley Neale! Robert coke fiend had some ability but strolled around with Wlikins and was way too inconsistent.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well yeah, but my first couple of lines were if there was an official one or not and if not who would you want there. Sorry if I've confused.

Personally;

Peter Ward
Mark Lawrenson
Brian Horton
Lewis Dunk
Glenn Murray
Garry Nelson

Depends how you look at it, the likes of Garry Nelson was a fine footballer, but not Premier League standard.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Depends on the criteria I suppose, are they to be voted on as our six best players of all time? or our six favourite. There is a big difference between the two.

Look, everyone is coming up with different criteria's, it's like the House of Commons! I'll stick with just a Hall of Fame of players through our ages that we think deserve it, whether 10 games or 10,000 games. I am sure other football clubs have a Hall of Fame and this wasn't started as some political football, pun intended. Perhaps this is why BHA don't have one, can't be arsed!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Look, everyone is coming up with different criteria's, it's like the House of Commons! I'll stick with just a Hall of Fame of players through our ages that we think deserve it, whether 10 games or 10,000 games. I am sure other football clubs have a Hall of Fame and this wasn't started as some political football, pun intended. Perhaps this is why BHA don't have one, can't be arsed!

Well in a way it could be argued by some that we kinda had. Wasn't that the whole point of the Legends Wall when it was erected along with the Amex in 2011?

It has all become rather confused now and doesn't seem to have the impact that it originally had.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
add Eddie Spearritt, Stewart Henderson, Kit Napier, Normal Gall, Michel Kuipers

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well in a way it could be argued by some that we kinda had. Wasn't that the whole point of the Legends Wall when it was erected along with the Amex in 2011?

It has all become rather confused now and doesn't seem to have the impact that it originally had.

Legends Wall isn't Hall of Fame though really, is it? Not really set in stone, something that in 20-30 years time when someone gains the accolade it means something to be there, after the initial rush of nominating past players in the early stages of setting up such an award. I thought Fred Binney was outstanding too.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well I'm going to ignore any criteria that states it should be choices during my tenure as a fan. I know more about the Albion than just the last 44 years.

So,
1. John Jackson, first ever manager and the man that gave us the Albion as a name.
2. Charlie Webb. Not only scored the goal that gave us a prestigious trophy but was with the club for about 47 years in total.
3. Mike Bamber. Brought in Clough, got us to the top flight and a cup final, albeit with potentially crippling debts.
4. Alan Mullery. The first 5 years of my support for the club were made in heaven and he was our Manager.
5. Tony Bloom. The chairman that has put us on the map and has done it out of his loose change! A stadium, an academy and top flight football.
6. Dick Knight. Although not rich enough to do it on his own, he was the figurehead of the consortium that saved us from potential oblivion.

If I were to name the 6 best players that I would put in a hall of fame then here they are.

1. Peter Ward
2. Bobby Zamora
3. Brian Horton
4. Inigo Calderon
5. Steve Foster.
6. Mark Lawrenson (although he only just creeps in due to his years in the wilderness when he didn't seem to acknowledge he ever played for us!)

Whilst a bit American, a hall of fame would be a good addition to the museum.

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Blimey. We'll be wanting to retire shirt numbers next :D

So tricky to narrow down so many players over so many years to just half a dozen. But I suppose it's all about your own personal favourites so mine are:
Wardy
Sully
Nobby
Bruno
Calde
Bobby

(But I'm already feeling pangs of guilt omitting Binney, Powney, HARRY, Paul Clark, Eric Steele, Eddie Spearitt, Dunk, Oh Gary Hart, Kit Napier, Stephens and many more!)

Have I won?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here