Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players ratings Villa - Brighton

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Interesting. Where you at the game? Made a series of fantastic saves. Could’ve been 4-1 without him!

Name them? If you mean the 2nd half from Hourihane then it was straight at him.

At fault for both goals (again) IMO. The first he did literally nothing, he could have ‘saved’ the cross or stayed on his line, got caught in between and did neither ending up in no man’s land.
The second he goes down too early and then pulls his head OUT OF THE WAY. Duffy saves that.......

He also got lucky with the VAR decision IMO.

If we are still EPL next season and Potter is still with us then I’ll be amazed if he’s still our No1.

It’s hard not to like Ryan but football at this level isn’t a popularity contest, IMO apart from a Murray replacement it’s our weakest position, not helped by having no real competition for his place.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
I agree. I think the sub should have been made as soon as Mooy went off. It would have been hard on Connoly, but necessary - and we may well have made it to half time 1 up.

Yep, I said at the time that Potter made a mistake here in not making an instant change. As admirable as wanting to keep two strikers on was, it was clear that Burn was suddenly massively exposed with our very narrow three in the middle and all the Villa attacks at the end of the first half were down his side. Solly comes on at HT and suddenly that gap is filled and its Montoya who's the one under pressure. Also Solly put in a massive shift. Was constantly up and down that wing looking a threat going forward and helping out in defence. Don't ever play him as a lone striker, though.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Name them? If you mean the 2nd half from Hourihane then it was straight at him.

At fault for both goals (again) IMO. The first he did literally nothing, he could have ‘saved’ the cross or stayed on his line, got caught in between and did neither ending up in no man’s land.
The second he goes down too early and then pulls his head OUT OF THE WAY. Duffy saves that.......

He also got lucky with the VAR decision IMO.

If we are still EPL next season and Potter is still with us then I’ll be amazed if he’s still our No1.

It’s hard not to like Ryan but football at this level isn’t a popularity contest, IMO apart from a Murray replacement it’s our weakest position, not helped by having no real competition for his place.

Maty for the VAR goal = Yeh, should have been stronger, or do what he usually does and let the defenders deal with it
Maty for the first goal = Nahh, Grealish unmarked from 8 yards. 4 defenders nearby, Webster should have had him. the keeper can’t be expected to stop that
Maty for the second goal = Nahh, in real time he’s not going to get that. Targett is 10 yards out with a free shot at goal. True Maty gambles that the ball is going low and it goes high, but he can’t cover the whole goal

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Maty for the VAR goal = Yeh, should have been stronger, or do what he usually does and let the defenders deal with it
Maty for the first goal = Nahh, Grealish unmarked from 8 yards. 4 defenders nearby, Webster should have had him. the keeper can’t be expected to stop that
Maty for the second goal = Nahh, in real time he’s not going to get that. Targett is 10 yards out with a free shot at goal. True Maty gambles that the ball is going low and it goes high, but he can’t cover the whole goal

Grealish is well inside the 6 yard box; it’s 4 yards max. The ball travelled a long way and I think he thought about diving to cut out the cross, took a step to do so then for whatever reason didn’t dive, therefore taking himself out the game completely, perhaps he thought a defender would block it. It was such a poor goal to concede at the worst time.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Don’t agree, from that angle he’s not got the whole goal to cover.

I’m afraid he’s culpable IMO.

First goal was Propper, trying to pass Grealish off to basically nobody.

Definitely fouled on the VAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
Very disappointed in Mooy. He's my favourite player in the whole world but kicking the ball away at a free kick is so dumb. Then a tackle from behind like that (even if Grealish milked it a tad) is even dumber (when he's already on a card).

Onwards and upwards. I reckon he'll be desperate to pay back team mates and fans and will play out of his skin from now on.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'e spoken to three Villa fans about Saturday's game, and every single one independently said that Solly March was our best player, he made the difference second half. That can't be coincidence.

Amazing contrast on here. For what its worth I was also disappointed with a couple of things he did, not chasing one ball down, having a go at the passer on one occasion - but I think by focusing on these couple of moments we are missing the whole here, how his outlet and movement did help us maintain parity in the game even with 10 men.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'e spoken to three Villa fans about Saturday's game, and every single one independently said that Solly March was our best player, he made the difference second half. That can't be coincidence.

Amazing contrast on here. For what its worth I was also disappointed with a couple of things he did, not chasing one ball down, having a go at the passer on one occasion - but I think by focusing on these couple of moments we are missing the whole here, how his outlet and movement did help us maintain parity in the game even with 10 men.
I wasn't there. Look. Can someone just tell me if he was brilliant or shit. It's so frustrating not to have a proper answer

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Very disappointed in Mooy. He's my favourite player in the whole world but kicking the ball away at a free kick is so dumb. Then a tackle from behind like that (even if Grealish milked it a tad) is even dumber (when he's already on a card).

Onwards and upwards. I reckon he'll be desperate to pay back team mates and fans and will play out of his skin from now on.

Yup. I was delighted when we got Mooy but so disappointed with him on Saturday.

Potter needs to slap that kind of petulant, childish behaviour out of him or ship him back at the earliest opportunity. Certainly cost us a point, and probably all 3 and we can't afford to be dropping points because a player has "issues". Appears that the example of shipping out Andone for his ill discipline had no affect on Mooy at all.

Hopefully a hefty club fine and a week training with the kids will help focus his mind.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I wasn't there. Look. Can someone just tell me if he was brilliant or shit. It's so frustrating not to have a proper answer

Frustrating would be my option , gets himself into some decent positions then makes the wrong pass or shoots when better to have made a simple pass , he was neither shit or brilliant he was simply Solly March .

el punal

Webster struggled with Wesley pretty much all game, and was unfortunately had a fault in both goals given away.

Mooy until he got sent off was easily the best player on the pitch, just oozes class and composure on the ball. Stupid split second decision today by him cost us the win but to say he should be ashamed today is surprising.

March was absolutely dreadful when he came on, looked like he had no idea what instructions had been given to him or what his actual role was. Completely different player to the one of last season and the one who started this. And pace and runs? What on earth was you watching? He looked slower than Gross and after being on for 15 minutes look completely knackered. The decision to put him upfront baffled many of us there today. Alzate should have come on at half-time instead of him.

A couple of fans next to me reckoned that March was carrying an injury. Weird I know, he was positively pedestrian.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Ryan 8 made at least 3 excellent saves after the sending off .
Montoya 6 totally exposed after the sending off and Villa took full advantage
Webster 7 getting better every time i see him , i'm sure he'd love to play up front , has a impressive 10 yard turn of pace in his locker .
Dunk 7 Gave everything as usual
Burn 6 Not one of his better games but enjoyable to watch
Mooy lets not go there
Stephens 7 such a class act , he seems to have flourished as a player since Potter took over , his first thought is to look up and forward now rather than sideways or back .
Propper 6 This is the one player that frustrates me more than any other in the team , he had a excellent game team wise but for some reason just won't take the risk of getting himself into goal scoring positions , classy player but needs to get stuck in more .
Gross 7 Very good game again , pulls all the strings , will be difficult to drop if Trossard is fit again .
Connolly 6 Didn't really get into the game after what i thought was a golden opportunity to put us 2 nil up
Maupay 7 Absolutely ran himself into the ground , his off the ball runs were exhausting to watch , it's a shame Murray is coming towards the end of his career i think the two together would score plenty the way we play now .

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
First goal was Propper, trying to pass Grealish off to basically nobody.

This is the hugely frustrating thing about Propper for me.

We know that he is awful at trying to score but he can't help that.

However the amount of times he shirks his defensive duties and it costs us goals is doing my head in because he can help that. Just do your job.

I've been slaughtered on here before for bringing this up but I really wish he would sort this out because I really rate him in his general play and how he fits into the team.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yup. I was delighted when we got Mooy but so disappointed with him on Saturday.

Potter needs to slap that kind of petulant, childish behaviour out of him or ship him back at the earliest opportunity. Certainly cost us a point, and probably all 3 and we can't afford to be dropping points because a player has "issues". Appears that the example of shipping out Andone for his ill discipline had no affect on Mooy at all.

Hopefully a hefty club fine and a week training with the kids will help focus his mind.
A player having "issues" - you do realise that's the first time (at the ripe old age of 29) that Mooy has been sent off? For somebody playing a combative CM role, that is a pretty good record, and not the record of a man who has "issues" that need to be sorted!
Might as well suggest that Dunk, Duffy, Stephens and Murray have got issues.

FF1

Aug 28, 2019

In my humble opinion, he was complete shit. I think if Jahanbakhsh had played like that, this whole forum would be asking for his head... I feel March is blindly loved by most on this forum for some reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here