Date: Saturday 19th October 2019
Kick-off: 15:00 BST
Referee: David Coote
Assistants: Stuart Burt, Nick Hopton
Fourth official: Geoff Eltringham
VAR: Martin Atkinson
Assistant VAR: Constantine Hatzidakis

TEAM NEWS

Aston Villa pair Tom Heaton and Bjorn Engels are fit after minor injuries.

The only absentees are Jota, who has had a hernia operation, and James Chester, who is building up his fitness after a pre-season hamstring problem.

Brighton winger Leandro Trossard has returned to training following a groin problem and could be among the substitutes.

Solly March and Shane Duffy are also available but Bernardo and Jose Izquierdo remain sidelined.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Jonathan Pearce: Villa fans will display a banner picturing Tyrone Mings with the word PROUD. Fully deserved. He was impeccable in the face of vile racism in Sofia. It beggars belief that Bulgaria are still in the competition, let alone in with a chance of the play-offs.

There'll also be anniversary applause for Dean Smith. A year into the job and what a transformation he has brought.

Graham Potter is quietly going about his business at Brighton too. Both clubs come into this on the back of big wins. It's seven months since Albion won two in a row - but four and a half years since Villa managed it in the Premier League!

A draw wouldn't surprise. But if Aaron Connolly - buzzing from his Ireland debut - starts, he could be the difference.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Aston Villa head coach Dean Smith: "We feel that result [5-1 against Norwich] had been coming, some of our performances had suggested that.

"But we can't become complacent. This league can punish you in the flash of an eye. We need to improve. We're striving to do that."

Graham Potter: "I felt the daily work of the players, the consistency of their performances, was that the performance that you witnessed [against Spurs] was a possibility.

"Now our challenge is that we have to maintain that level and try and improve.

"We are not at our max. We are at maximum effort but I still think we can improve, so that's good."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Aston Villa are unbeaten at home to Brighton in all competitions, with eight wins and three draws in 11 meetings.
    [*=left]This is the first top-flight encounter between the sides since a goalless draw at Brighton's Goldstone Ground in March 1983.
    [*=left]They met at the Amex Stadium last month in the League Cup third round, with Aston Villa winning 3-1 against a youthful home side.

Aston Villa

• [*=left]Villa are looking to secure back-to-back Premier League victories for the first time since May 2015.
    [*=left]They have scored twice or more in three consecutive Premier League matches for the first time since April 2010. They last did so in four in a row in April 2008.
    [*=left]Dean Smith's side have only conceded a goal before half time in one of their eight league fixtures this season. That was at home to Bournemouth, who scored twice inside 12 minutes.
    [*=left]However, Villa have conceded a league-high six goals after the 75th minute of games and dropped eight points from winning positions.
    [*=left]Wesley has scored four goals in his last six league appearances.
    [*=left]Anwar El Ghazi has scored or set up a goal in three consecutive league matches for the first time with Villa. He has provided eight league assists in 2019, more than any other player at the club.

Albion

• [*=left]The Seagulls earned only their second league win in 17 attempts by beating Tottenham 3-0 last time out.
    [*=left]Albion have failed to score in six of their past eight Premier League away games, and in 23 of 42 since they were promoted. That ratio of 55% is the highest among teams to have played in more than two full Premier League seasons.
    [*=left]They are winless in all five Premier League away fixtures against promoted opposition (D2, L3).
    [*=left]Brighton could keep consecutive Premier League clean sheets for the first time since a three-match streak a year ago.
    [*=left]Neal Maupay scored in both of Brentford's Championship fixtures against Aston Villa last season. He managed 22 goals in 52 league appearances for Brentford under Dean Smith in 2017 and 2018.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Enjoy yourselves those going. May you be the first Albion fans to see us win at Villa :thumbsup:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Very much looking forward to this. Heading off very soon and hopeful of points; possibly all 3. Expecting a sterner test than spurs but should be a good game and a good atmosphere. Good set of noisy home fans, up for it following their big win, Smith anniversary, rightful support to Mings and a 3K Albion backing. And a 3pm Saturday kick off. What’s not to like.

(Well, that’s the kiss of death given right there. Drab nil nil draw on the cards now.)

Screenshot_20191018-204644.png

Whoops, sorry!
Actually if you're eager to stay in touch with both events, you can watch BBC Parliament on iPlayer until 2:55, then at 4.55 return to iPlayer on whichever programme is indicated as 'live' then go back the maximum 2 hours on the rolling stream.
If you are actually at the match, then it will be rather difficult to 'avoid the result' of any vital vote in that period :)

1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I’m looking forward to this game. Hopefully it’s not an anti-climax and somehow we get all 3 points.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes really looking forward to his. Due to family health issues opportunities for watching Albion are much more limited now. Hopefully this one will be a cracker - I think so

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
@%1;Superstition corner - I “thumbsed up” the opening post of each match thread for quite a few weeks. Came to the Spurs match and I hovered over the thumbs up button, but decided against it.

No more thumbs up from me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just about to leave Euston

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Not many Brighton fans on my train, mind you we're just leaving Machynlleth :)

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
No doubt they have good players and a good manager, but you can say that about any premier league side. I just have an irrational dislike for them, especially the prick with the chip on his shoulder who wears the schoolgirl gym socks, grealish

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here