Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Concorde over the Palace Pier

Jul 7, 2003
Back in the mid to late eighties (I think), when Concorde was in a bit of a popularity slump, I seem to recall that The Argus offered a trip on Concorde which had a quick supersonic flight out and then came along the coast and flew low over the Palace Pier. I have a feeling it may have been an August Bank Holiday and remember being up on Madeira Drive watching Concorde fly over the pier.

Did anyone on here go on that flight or have any photos from it?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No but someone I know wanted to go on the Waverley when it moored at Worthing Pier many years ago.

I cannot remember if they actually went or not.

I do know that one of the friends had his niece visiting from Suffolk.
So a very good chance that he missed out on it which seems a pity as I know he liked a good 1940’s Paddle Steamer

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No but someone I know wanted to go on the Waverley when it moored at Worthing Pier many years ago.

I cannot remember if they actually went or not.

I do know that one of the friends had his niece visiting from Suffolk.
So a very good chance that he missed out on it which seems a pity as I know he liked a good 1940’s Paddle Steamer

The very same vessel that almost cut Bognor pier in half around the same time if l remember correctly.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The very same vessel that almost cut Bognor pier in half around the same time if l remember correctly.

I did worry for Worthing Piers landing stage being an old boy fisherman on there but it remained intact....

As an aside I used to steal Gold Leaf cigarettes and chocolate ices from the end of the pier.
I don’t feel proud about it but you had to well........ survive.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I have a memory from my childhood of seeing Concorde fly low over the Fiveways.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Didnt go on it but I did watch it from Marine Parade - was it to celebrate the reopening of the Grand Hotel after the bombing?

I also went on the Waverley but that was up in Loch Lomond.

Do I win a prize?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My memory of Concorde was the very odd thing it used to do to my first flat in Clapham under the flight path.

When it flew over it the extractor fan in the toilet (in the ceiling) would mildly vibrate and exhale dust. Was the oddest thing, I could set my watch to it.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Didnt go on it but I did watch it from Marine Parade - was it to celebrate the reopening of the Grand Hotel after the bombing?

Do I win a prize?

I too went on the Waverly from Littlehampton to the Isle of Wight. Circa 1991 I think.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Mid Eighties. Yes.
I believe I was listening to the top 40 when I assumed the Russians had started bombing. Our flat along the seafront was shaking. Ran to the window and to my relief and suprise saw Concorde.
Was the Queen on board or something?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Back in the mid to late eighties (I think), when Concorde was in a bit of a popularity slump, I seem to recall that The Argus offered a trip on Concorde which had a quick supersonic flight out and then came along the coast and flew low over the Palace Pier. I have a feeling it may have been an August Bank Holiday and remember being up on Madeira Drive watching Concorde fly over the pier.

Did anyone on here go on that flight or have any photos from it?

A friend of mine was the "Chief Purser" on those mini tour flights. Apparently they made loads of money for Air France and BA. The profit margin on those flights were apparently greater than a trans Atlantic crossing flight.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Con1.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A friend of mine was the "Chief Purser" on those mini tour flights. Apparently they made loads of money for Air France and BA. The profit margin on those flights were apparently greater than a trans Atlantic crossing flight.
Indeed, “down time” pleasure flights did very well for Concorde. Canterbury Travel used to offer trips on them and did very well from them.

I was lucky enough to take one of these trips from New York for two hours one Halloween night. The pilots were all dressed in Halloween masks and clothes. We were also allowed to go to the cockpit in small groups during the flight. Must say it reminded me of a cigar tube when on board, so small with a 2-2 configuration. The only time I really felt the power was on take off. I can only compare it to going down the road in Ferrari rather than a bus, in comparison to planes like a Jumbo as it accelerated down the runway. Awesome power.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I used to play cricket at a ground where you could see Concorde taking off from Heathrow. Even five miles away, it was an enormous noise.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Saw its last flight home to Filton Airfield in Bristol...now on display at the Aerospace museum on that site...

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

Do I win a prize?
Think the Grad Hotel flyby was early 90's wasn't it. I remember it flying low over woodingdean as I was in the park tennis courts. Never heard any other plane make such a noise, I remember having to cover my ears when it went over.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Think the Grad Hotel flyby was early 90's wasn't it. I remember it flying low over woodingdean as I was in the park tennis courts. Never heard any other plane make such a noise, I remember having to cover my ears when it went over.
Concorde and the Vulcan only things to come close - both Rolls Royce Olympus engines. Superb engineering all round and incredibly short sighted that neither is still flying to remind us of what we can achieve in Britain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here