Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Grenfell Tower tragedy was due to racism in London Fire Brigade says Doreen Lawrence

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'The Fire Brigades Union has previously said any suggestions of racism are “offensive, wrong and unconstructive”.'

This, 100%. And then some.

Doreen Lawrence should be ashamed of herself.

Not exactly what she said, but don't let that get in the way of your outrage.

Direct quote.

“Had that been a block full of white people in there, they would have done everything to get them out as fast as possible and make sure that they do what they needed to do.”

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Direct quote.

“Had that been a block full of white people in there, they would have done everything to get them out as fast as possible and make sure that they do what they needed to do.”

Indeed. She's quite clearly playing the 'black' card. My question to her is how the fire officers would know the colour of the skin of the residents as they turned up to deal with the awful situation ? Utterly contemptable that she claims they didn't act because of the colour of the residents skin.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Direct quote.

'Doreen Lawrence says she has “no doubt” that racism was involved in the Grenfell Tower tragedy'

Involved in - not due to. A significant difference.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Direct quote.

... and Harrods blankets would gave been provided to all those rescued, Starbucks would have provided the premium offee, and Fortnum & Mason would've sent Hampers.

Honestly....

"999 Emergency Services"

"Fire Brigade Please"

"No problem. Does this involve black people or white people?"

"Black"

"Oh, okay.. we'll dust off the horse drawn wooden pumps and be with you in a few hours."

:facepalm:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Looks like it’s a week of Own Goals. Hope Villa don’t let us down.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Direct quote.

Which is not the same at all saying the tragedy (by implication, all of it) was due to racism in the London Fire Brigade. What she's saying there is that she believes the response would have been different if all those trapped were white.

I don't agree with her but only yesterday the London Fire Chief herself has stated that the stay put advice was totally wrong for a building like Grenfell.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...admits-stay-put-advice-not-suitable-grenfell/

And who lives in buildings like Grenfell? Poor people and immigrants who are statistically more likely to be non-white.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Which is not the same at all saying the tragedy (by implication, all of it) was due to racism in the London Fire Brigade. What she's saying there is that she believes the response would have been different if all those trapped were white.

I don't agree with her but only yesterday the London Fire Chief herself has stated that the stay put advice was totally wrong for a building like Grenfell.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...admits-stay-put-advice-not-suitable-grenfell/

And who lives in buildings like Grenfell? Poor people and immigrants who are statistically more likely to be non-white.

think you misread the fire chief comments and drawn a flawed conclusion. she stated the advise was flawed for Grenfell because the fire prevention failed. we do not know for sure that another building will fail in this respect until the event.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
think you misread the fire chief comments and drawn a flawed conclusion. she stated the advise was flawed for Grenfell because the fire prevention failed. we do not know for sure that another building will fail in this respect until the event.

No I haven't

Speaking just a few weeks before the publication of the first phase of the Grenfell Tower inquiry report, Ms Cotton told the Greater London Assembly’s Fire, Resilience and Emergency Planning Committee: “We are calling for urgent research on buildings that fail because buildings that fail mean ‘stay put’ advice is no longer viable.

This clearly implies there are tests and anything that fails them needs the fire brigade advice changing.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The fire started from a fridge motor, If the electrical installation was up to date it would never of happened, the RCD would of tripped way before any fire. Basically it would of detected a fridge motor fault probably days or hours before. Never been mentioned reckon it’s been covered up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No I haven't

Speaking just a few weeks before the publication of the first phase of the Grenfell Tower inquiry report, Ms Cotton told the Greater London Assembly’s Fire, Resilience and Emergency Planning Committee: “We are calling for urgent research on buildings that fail because buildings that fail mean ‘stay put’ advice is no longer viable.

This clearly implies there are tests and anything that fails them needs the fire brigade advice changing.

fair enough, they can apply testing, research and certify the state of an individual building. the point is this not know without that so we cannot say which are failed, certainly not on the basis of their occupants. otherwise it infers that council owned, operated buildings are inherently less safe and lower standard.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Doreen Lawrence has done wonderful work over the years since losing her son in a racist attack.

Her work has helped hold many Organisations and Public Services Institutions accountable. She has helped bring this country forward leaps and bounds on "Race Issues" and I applaud her for all her work over the last 20 years.

With all that in mind I wish she hadn't made this statement. In my opinion I think she is wrong in this instance . I really hope it doesn't affect how people perceive her views on further "Race Issues" in the future.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
fair enough, they can apply testing, research and certify the state of an individual building. the point is this not know without that so we cannot say which are failed, certainly not on the basis of their occupants. otherwise it infers that council owned, operated buildings are inherently less safe and lower standard.

I very carefully said "buildings like Grenfell". They could be council or privately owned. The point is that if they are poorly maintained they are far more likely to contain people with poor English or of low income for the simple reason that those with the wherewithal would move out.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The fire started from a fridge motor, If the electrical installation was up to date it would never of happened, the RCD would of tripped way before any fire. Basically it would of detected a fridge motor fault probably days or hours before. Never been mentioned reckon it’s been covered up.

Started by a fridge spontaneously combusting, they said, but didn’t name the make of the fridge.

And did they say who was the owner of the flat where the fire started? Did he survive or die in the fire?

There was a story that he packed his bags while the fire raged in his kitchen and left without raising the alarm. Is this true or an urban myth?

I’ve always thought there was something not quite right about this case, as though something is being covered up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here