Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Frank Worthington and Alzheimers

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
A true maverick. It was great to see him play for the Albion.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
The man was class pure and simple Saw him play for us what a player he was

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
That is such sad news. Seeing him play for us is one of my cherished childhood supporting memories.
Wonderfully skilful and a true entertainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Such sad news, another flair legend suffering, just like Stan Bowles

My outstanding memory of Frank at the Albion is him juggling the ball in the box, with defenders around him and then flicking the ball over his head, turning and pulling a shot off. Pretty sure he didn’t score but it was great skill to watch. What a player even at the end of his career when we were lucky enough to get a glimpse of genuine striker quality.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Remember a free kick against Wimbledon

Pretty sure it was Frank who took it

Hit the under side of the bar
then hit Dave Beasant on the back of the head and went in

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Very sad news its a terrible condition.

I meet Frank once while he was playing for us, it was on Brighton on the prom by the bandstand he was being interviewed by TV before a game, after the interview I wished him good luck for the game he stopped for a chat and asked my name he then called this beautiful woman over to write it down he then arranged for two seats in the East Stand for the game when I went to the ground to collect the tickets Frank had written me a really nice note

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
He once gave me a packet of crisps at Worthing football club when I was a kid. I was awe struck.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I remember being so excited when he signed along with John Fashunu an Denis Mortimer. Really exciting times,

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
All the skill and knowhow, but by the time he came to us his legs had gone.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I loved it when Frank came sprinting forward on the break..

Of course our meaning of sprinting’ means something different to that of today’s supporters.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When you think of pure class players at the Albion Vicente and Worthington immediately spring to mind.

I just had a check of his Wiki stats and was surprised at just how consistent he was over the first 16 years of his career, but even though he was past his best with us he still went on to score 21 in 59 for Tranmere after that in his late 30s. A genuine football legend.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
An honour to see him play.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sad that he has this dreadful disease - but why this thread now? It was announced he had Alzheimers back in 2016,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here