Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Frank Worthington and Alzheimers

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sadly it's been confirmed that Frank has this terrible condition. He was only at the Goldstone for one season, but his class, talent, showmanship were still in evidence even though he was well into his thirties at the time and had 'lived' the life of a rock and roll star in a football shirt. Booze, birds, singing, partying, the full works. A genuine maverick who was always Frank and never compromised living the life by his own rules.

A privilege to have seen him play in the blue and white. One of the saddest things is that he can't remember his hero Elvis any more or any of his songs.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Frank in his pomp was more than a match for Vicente in the ‘best player to serve the Albion stakes’. Just a shame that his pomp happened before us! Still did a bloody good job mind.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Sad news indeed.

I first encountered him as a Panini football sticker (or something similar) and was struck, at the time, by how old he looked even though he could only have been in his 20s. I think he earned those lines and creases.

I don't think I ever saw him play for us but I did once see him at the bar at the Congress Theatre in Eastbourne, at a Grumbleweeds gig. I was struck on that occasion by Frank's socks, which were different colours.

Stumpy Tim

Read that myself. Lovely article, and very sad.

The Athletic is an interesting site. It has really highlighted to me that Naylor isn´t in the same class as the majority of writers at The Athletic. Some of the articles about other teams are a real insight... the Albion ones are average at best

JBD

Jul 12, 2009
Zone Q
Remember seeing him in a supermarket his trolly was full of beer with a packet of bacon on top, couldn't help laughing ,he laughed too. Also remember him hitting the bar against Oxford absolute class.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Love Frank Worthington. A real honour to have seen him play for us. Was out after a game one Saturday night in town on the way to the Pink Coconut.

Stopped off in Swifts as we always did, walked up the stairs to see Frank as cool as fvck leaning against the bar with two beauties either side of him. "Hello Frank". "Hello lads". A true legend and what a player.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
He played in my first Albion game, 84/85 against Palace at home, think he scored the only goal.

Could be wrong but seem to recall him scoring in the away fixture that season , the same match that Gerry Ryan had his leg broken by Henry Hughton . :down:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Love Frank Worthington. A real honour to have seen him play for us. Was out after a game one Saturday night in town on the way to the Pink Coconut.

Stopped off in Swifts as we always did, walked up the stairs to see Frank as cool as fvck leaning against the bar with two beauties either side of him. "Hello Frank". "Hello lads". A true legend and what a player.

That's a blast from the past!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Textbook Frank. Today people lose their shit because a player has an expensive backpack...

Frank Worthington.jpg

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Wonderful footballer

Remember him playing for us in the phoenix brewery era was it?

One game at the Goldstone he tried to play a one-two with a player who I can't recall

It never came off,Frank just pointed at his head,as if to say think about it
But it was no use,he was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My all time football hero.

Did a lot of work with Huddersfield town and graced the pitch for years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here