Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion shop opens in Churchill Square

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We need one in WEST Sussex, we don't all live in Brighton.

The club needs to realise Pompey is all but gone, strike while the iron is hot!:albion2::albion2::albion2::bhasign:

Could always open one in Arundel, as is the way with the PL, shirts change every season, an Albion antique shop won't look out of place!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
A friend went. His daughter’s goodie back continued a pencil, a merchandising catalogue, a fixture list, a key-fob, a coaster.....and....an Ali J mug.

Probably what Potter meant when he told Ali J he planned to use him for the big cups.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Only until the end of December according to Churchill Square.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
It's just a Christmas pop up shop, which is similar to previous years.

They had one in the Eastbourne Beacon last Christmas, so would be good if they did the same again, especially as there's shop's in it that have still not been filled since it opened!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They had one in the Eastbourne Beacon last Christmas, so would be good if they did the same again, especially as there's shop's in it that have still not been filled since it opened!

They should have made that a permanent one in Ebo imo... I hope the Churchill square one is a permanent one and not just an Xmas one...

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
They should have made that a permanent one in Ebo imo... I hope the Churchill square one is a permanent one and not just an Xmas one...

It’s just for Christmas. Why would the club want to pay expensive rent, council tax, wages, etc for two customers a day in February?

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Got my Albion Xmas jumper from the shop in Eastbourne last year :)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sounds to me like a permanent unit, will check it out tomorrow as not for the first time Mrs Hut has purchased an item of clothing she has now decided she doesn't want so my job to return it tomorrow :angry::angry::angry:

Feel sure that the shop will have disappeared once Christmas has come and gone..

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
In the old Queens Rd shop I remember the ticketing element of it was popular- that pulled people into the shop to buy tickets, collect tickets etc. Maybe they also bought something in the shop at the same time on occasion.

If the shop was permanent it would probably help to fire that up again. I really think a presence in the town centre would be a good thing for the club- it’s always felt a bit aloof of them to expect that anyone who wants to buy something in person would happily make their way up to Falmer.

I appreciate the costs of running a shop, and the fact that some people will go to the shop when they go to a game. Taking a bigger picture view though I think it would be worth doing. And with the level of income from the Prem TV deal, the costs of running a shop are now relatively small in the context of the financial scale of the club’s dealings.

Particularly as I don’t think I have ever seen a Brighton shirt for sale in any of the sports shops in town- not sure why that is [emoji3166]

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
It's a propper shop next to Shuh Kids and Carphone Warehouse close to where Zara used to be. Looks ok, the usual gaggle of staff and no customers at 5:50 on Friday but that will improve I'm sure.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In the old Queens Rd shop I remember the ticketing element of it was popular- that pulled people into the shop to buy tickets, collect tickets etc. Maybe they also bought something in the shop at the same time on occasion.

If the shop was permanent it would probably help to fire that up again. I really think a presence in the town centre would be a good thing for the club- it’s always felt a bit aloof of them to expect that anyone who wants to buy something in person would happily make their way up to Falmer.

I appreciate the costs of running a shop, and the fact that some people will go to the shop when they go to a game. Taking a bigger picture view though I think it would be worth doing. And with the level of income from the Prem TV deal, the costs of running a shop are now relatively small in the context of the financial scale of the club’s dealings.

Particularly as I don’t think I have ever seen a Brighton shirt for sale in any of the sports shops in town- not sure why that is [emoji3166]

Thing with tickets is folk do it online these days. A shop would need to function on item sales. That said, I think a town centre shop might encourage me to buy stuff I don't need.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The costs of running a derelict (apart from matchdays) merchandising superstore and Dick's Bar at the Amex must already be pretty hefty. IMHO makes far more sense to start acting like a grown-up PL club and have multiple county-wide outlets, even if piggy-backed onto existing businesses (check out the Bayern Munich model). The Amex superstore is only preaching on a match-day basis to the converted and the odd away fan. Just shows a lack of PL confidence/ambition IMHO.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Even with income from the Prem tv deal, we made a £12M loss over the last accountable year. Churchill Square rents, and council business rates are exorbitant.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Even with income from the Prem tv deal, we made a £12M loss over the last accountable year. Churchill Square rents, and council business rates are exorbitant.

Maybe worth, say, a one season lease I'd suggest. Fair enough the Amex shop is rammed on matchdays, but other than that there's been more staff than customers anytime I've ever been in. And what about all that passing trade in Churchill Square, incl locals, tourists and language students? Hardly likely to trek out to Falmer to buy some local PL merchandise. Unlikely to be arsed to shop online either. Permanent Churchill Square Albion outlet makes perfect sense. At least while we're in the magical unicornland of the PL.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Maybe worth, say, a one season lease I'd suggest. Fair enough the Amex shop is rammed on matchdays, but other than that there's been more staff than customers anytime I've ever been in. And what about all that passing trade in Churchill Square, incl locals, tourists and language students? Hardly likely to trek out to Falmer to buy some local PL merchandise. Unlikely to be arsed to shop online either. Permanent Churchill Square Albion outlet makes perfect sense. At least while we're in the magical unicornland of the PL.

Had a nice Dutch family approach me outside Brighton station before West Ham. They were looking for the Queens Road shop to buy stuff to take home as presents. I explained that it had long gone and they would have to buy online or traipse over to the Amex. They said they weren't going to go over to Falmer and that they wouldn't bother. Opportunity lost. Even the old mobile shop at the station could have done the job (and would at least provide an option for the "trippers" who hand over money to the scammy pikeys for their half and half scarves).

I have only been to the Amex once on a non-matchday. I was the only customer and was heavily outnumbered by staff.

Very odd not to make the most of every marketing & merchandising opportunity. Doesn't sound like Barber at all.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Screw you West Sussex. What about us in Buckinghamshire? That’s where we need to branch out. We’ve got Watford and Wycombe on the run and they’re deserting Reading in their droves just over the border too.

I need one here!

The postage for overseas delivery is outrageous :clap::clap:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Being as JD Sports now sponsor our shirt sleeves you'd think they could have an Albion section in some of their Sussex outlets, certainly the Churchill Square one. That'd be a win/win for both parties I'd have thought.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Being as JD Sports now sponsor our shirt sleeves you'd think they could have an Albion section in some of their Sussex outlets, certainly the Churchill Square one. That'd be a win/win for both parties I'd have thought.

It really is quite bizarre that NSC has been SO far ahead of the club with ideas for a marketing strategy for club kit n related shit. It's like NSC has been PL Ready and nagging the club for yonks while the club (up til now) has been quite happy with a CP-style caravan presence in town. How long has it taken them to establish a timid presence in Churchill Square this side of forever? The Withdean-era shop in Queens Road was far more ambitious and far more useful than anything the Amex-era Albion has managed to rustle up in the middle of town til now. What exactly are they scared of? Very strange.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What exactly are they scared of? Very strange.

The numbers don't stack up. Given the state of retail / the high street at the moment I'm not surprised the club don't want to sink a load of money into a failing channel

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here