Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Boxing - RIP Patrick Day

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Horrible. For both sides. Conwell has to live with this for the rest of his life, he only went in to win the fight...not take a life.

Fighters risk their lives as I have said before. It's boxing.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I never meant this to happen to you, all I wanted to do was win," wrote Day's American compatriot Conwell, 21.

"If I could take it all back, I would. No-one deserves this to happen to them."

Conwell posted a link to the letter on social media with the hashtag #champpatrickday.

He said this would be the last time he spoke on the matter because it was "a sensitive topic" for Day's family and friends, himself and the sport of boxing.

"I replay the fight over and over in my head thinking what if this never happened and why did it happen to you," said Conwell.

"I can't stop thinking about it myself. I prayed for you so many times and shed so many tears because I couldn't even imagine how my family and friends would feel.

"I see you everywhere you go and all I hear is wonderful things about you.

"I thought about quitting boxing but I know that's not what you would want.

"I know that you were a fighter at heart so I decided not to, and to fight and win a world title because that's what you wanted and that's what I want so I will use you as motivation every day and make sure I leave it all in the ring every time."

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Boxing has a history of this - all very tragic.
With MMA on the rise, I've not heard cases of deaths

Is this because combatants get knocked out quicker / easier than when boxing with the "padded" gloves?
Making the head-impacts fewer ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here