Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] London commuters appear to attack XR protestor

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
they want stuff thats being done to be done more and faster, net zero greenhouse gases by 2025 (and other political guff). because they need a cause to fight, having stuff done isnt enough.

ultimately they want to roll-back industrialisation, impoverishing everyone.

These people believe that the climate change that is happening will very soon reach a point where we cannot stop it, if they are correct that will impoverish everyone and those that already are impoverished will starve. It is hard to say where the tipping point is, but there is one, and when we reach it we will wish we did something sooner.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Never seen that happen in 25 years commuting. How are you defining a 'london ****' anyway? Someone who lives in Brighton but works at Guys Hospital perhaps?

Commute every day and see what effect it has on you before passing judgement maybe

Working from home is on a massive increase. Apart from the benefits to the individual in terms of quality of life, the cost savings to the firm are enormous. In my company WFH is pretty much mandatory for most people now at least a day a week, often more. For me the commute is only bearable because I don't have to do it every day. No chance I would go back to a 5 day commute. It's ****ing miserable when there is a problem, so to have twats like this lot creating additional, unnecessary and avoidable delays is beyond irritating

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Yes, especially that individual person.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
For me the commute is only bearable because I don't have to do it every day. No chance I would go back to a 5 day commute. It's ****ing miserable when there is a problem, so to have twats like this lot creating additional, unnecessary and avoidable delays is beyond irritating

Pretty much this. I'm in my 15th year of commuting now, and fortunately for about the last 7 years or so, I've been WFH every Thursday & Friday, so only have to go up 3 days a week. If I'm honest, I actually don't mind it at all (when the trains are running ok.) I quite enjoy 2 hours a day of "me time" sitting on a train up to Victoria either listening to music, reading, or simply staring vaguely out the window thinking and doing absolutely sod all.

And when the trains do **** up, I steadfastly refuse to get wound up about it. If it's in the morning I simply turn round and go home, and if it's in the evening I just let Mrs P know I'm going to be late, go and find a pub and have a couple of beers until the mentalists have gone.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Oh bless, it must be such a chore. They're not going to lay on a bloody red carpet for the nimbys from Sussex.

No, I don't expect a red carpet. Equally, and this has happened on a number of occasions, I don't expect to be told 'That's my seat you're sitting in' or 'Oh, you can't sit there because my colleague who will be joining at the next station sits there'. Add in the shoving, pushing and general rudeness of commuters and I don't understand why anyone would put earning extra money above a more calm life and more family time. Even stranger that apparently lots of them hate commuting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pretty much this. I'm in my 15th year of commuting now, and fortunately for about the last 7 years or so, I've been WFH every Thursday & Friday, so only have to go up 3 days a week. If I'm honest, I actually don't mind it at all (when the trains are running ok.) I quite enjoy 2 hours a day of "me time" sitting on a train up to Victoria either listening to music, reading, or simply staring vaguely out the window thinking and doing absolutely sod all.

And when the trains do **** up, I steadfastly refuse to get wound up about it. If it's in the morning I simply turn round and go home, and if it's in the evening I just let Mrs P know I'm going to be late, go and find a pub and have a couple of beers until the mentalists have gone.
Spot on. When it works, it's actually fine 2-3 days a week. The hour each way from Sussex is a good time to relax, catch up on emails and post crap on here while listening to the radio.......

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
If they did that on the 18.07 London Bridge to Uckfield there would be murders. 90% of the commuters on that service are already on the verge of going postal. I did it for about a decade and it nearly did me in. I fear for any XR protestors who target that particular service.

At least there may be a modicum of sense to do that given its a diesel train (the only diesel rolling stock in the south I believe - hence why when the huge number of short formations on that line).

They'd hate me. I commuted on that line for nearly 20 years. Moved jobs out of the city to Stratford so I now drive. Quite frankly I don't care if I'm killing the planet my mental wellbeing is far more important.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
they want stuff thats being done to be done more and faster, net zero greenhouse gases by 2025 (and other political guff). because they need a cause to fight, having stuff done isnt enough.

ultimately they want to roll-back industrialisation, impoverishing everyone.

On your profile you've got a comment slating the Daly Mail, but you've just reached a very daily mail conclusion, using the tried and trusted daily mail method of delivery which involves saying that a person or group want something to happen when they manifestly don't

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Wondering if all you commuting haters would be happier if you too, like the protester, got pulled off by others when you get on the Tube during rush hour?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Wondering if all you commuting haters would be happier if you too, like the protester, got pulled off by others when you get on the Tube during rush hour?

There's a couple of regulars on my commute I wouldn't mind pulling me off :D

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Agreed it's counter productive to 'attack' public transport.

That said, surely the problem is now so bad, that maybe companies should be actively 'persuaded' to look at how many of their staff could work from home and thus save millions of journeys even on public transport. It amazes me how many SMEs are so blinkered in their approach to WFH - it would save them huge amounts of money and help the environment at the same time. *** he says while permanently working from home ! ***
It doesn't matter how many people work from home, with the population increasing at approx 500k per year, the relentless need for energy, fuel, transport, homes..... room to breathe.... will eventually render any of the environmental concerns as irrelevant... nobody will stop the use and waste of resources.... unless a miraculous new energy technology emerges.

As for plastic pollution.. that will stop only when the huge Asian and African populations stop dumping their crap in the oceans and rivers as they do now... the efforts in western europe and north America are but a pinprick in the grand scheme.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On your profile you've got a comment slating the Daly Mail, but you've just reached a very daily mail conclusion, using the tried and trusted daily mail method of delivery which involves saying that a person or group want something to happen when they manifestly don't

net zero target is on their web site. my flipant remark is an observation that to achieve this we need to roll back industrial progress. having known/read some of the fringe supporters they do actually want that, believing that agrarian lifestyle is the only sustainable way for humans to exist without damaging the planet.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
net zero target is on their web site. my flipant remark is an observation that to achieve this we need to roll back industrial progress. having known/read some of the fringe supporters they do actually want that, believing that agrarian lifestyle is the only sustainable way for humans to exist without damaging the planet.

And those individuals are right to think that, but that’s not the aim of the group and it damages the environmental movement for them to be painted in this way

Also you didn’t have to look on XR website to see that zero net emissions is their target. It’s the government’s target as well. The question is how soon and how quickly will we have to change our lifestyles

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
And those individuals are right to think that, but that’s not the aim of the group

I am not clear what their aim is. Look at it logically.

Either they are right - in which case, we and the planet are already ****ed. Cue a combination of hysteria, resignation and a general sense of not bothering to do anything. Not helpful.

Or

They are exaggerating for dramatic purposes in order to spur us into action. They look ridiculous, turn people off and, again, that's not helpful.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know the answer but I am pretty sure it isn't XR.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
With all the nutters living in London, I’m surprised there wasn’t a full scale riot and a 15 year boy in a hoodie and Nike trainers pulls a knife out of his bag. Sadly that is what London has become.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here