Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] London commuters appear to attack XR protestor

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you engage in direct action, expect direct action. targeting public transport is a stupid, contradictory stunt, after years of the green movement promoting its use.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Isn't increased use of public transport exactly the sort of lifestyle change being called for?

Seems like a bit of an own goal to me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In fairness they can't disrupt roads and cars.

They'll just get run over, killed to death, while the driver gets 3 points on their license.

It is fookin ridiculous to go after public transport.
It certainly suggests these 'protesters' are the equivalent of football 'fans' who are only there's for the hooliganism.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Whilst I agree with what XR want to achieve I don't agree with disrupting public transport to try and achieve it. Seems counterproductive. The protester should have gone and blockaded a petrol processing depot or done a sit in on the M25 in rush hour.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Blockade roads, glue yourself to the doors of big business, and chant outside parliament - fill your boots. Get in the way of a Londoner wanting to get to work - daft move.

Deserve all they get.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I totally support XR, but yes, not sure what the thinking is behind stopping trains, as opposed to the high carbon targets they've been going for this week. I'll await an explanation

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Absolutely targeting the wrong people here.

Regular commuters who are actually using one of the more greener modes of transport. Contradicts all the points they are making and chasing publicity and headlines.

Whilst their overall point and message is obviously a massively important and critical one.... they are going about it with all the strategy of a PTA organizing a school jumble sale.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
if you engage in direct action, expect direct action. targeting public transport is a stupid, contradictory stunt, after years of the green movement promoting its use.

Indeed. The other day I posted in support of their actions in trying to shut down airports, but I'd like to hear the justification for trying to stop electrified public transport from running. Surely they can't be objecting to the fact that not all electricity is generated from renewable sources?

As a former long-suffering train commuter, and until I learn otherwise, my sympathies are currently 100% with the commuters. Nice to see my former fellow-sufferers finally fighting back!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Blockade roads, glue yourself to the doors of big business, and chant outside parliament - fill your boots. Get in the way of a Londoner wanting to get to work - daft move.

they'll moan all day about work, but damn well get into the office to do so.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Jubilee line was part-suspended and running with increasing delays when I got to London Bridge around 7am this morning due to these twats..........not surprised some people got angry.

I guess the irony of stopping public (and electric-powered) transport, forcing loads of people to jump in their cars or into diesel-fuelled cabs is lost somewhere

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Agreed it's counter productive to 'attack' public transport.

That said, surely the problem is now so bad, that maybe companies should be actively 'persuaded' to look at how many of their staff could work from home and thus save millions of journeys even on public transport. It amazes me how many SMEs are so blinkered in their approach to WFH - it would save them huge amounts of money and help the environment at the same time. *** he says while permanently working from home ! ***

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Agreed it's counter productive to 'attack' public transport.

That said, surely the problem is now so bad, that maybe companies should be actively 'persuaded' to look at how many of their staff could work from home and thus save millions of journeys even on public transport. It amazes me how many SMEs are so blinkered in their approach to WFH - it would save them huge amounts of money and help the environment at the same time. *** he says while permanently working from home ! ***

WFH as standard is planned after we get the paperless office.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
In fairness they can't disrupt roads and cars.

They'll just get run over, killed to death, while the driver gets 3 points on their license.

It is fookin ridiculous to go after public transport.
It certainly suggests these 'protesters' are the equivalent of football 'fans' who are only there's for the hooliganism.

Killed to death sounds bad. Count me out

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
They went to East London and didn't expect a reaction:D Should've jumped on the top of the Tube at Green Park etc... people are much more tame there

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
WFH as standard is planned after we get the paperless office.

Chicken and egg though isn't it. When working in an office I've always printed stuff. When WFH I've never needed/bothered to print stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here