Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Graffiti Tagging - who is doing it and why?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I'm one of those 'independant' shops. My shutter had graffiti splattered all over it, looked bad. Then a local lad asked if he could paint something pretty on it, obviously I said yes as he was doing it for free. Since then no one has written anything on top of has artwork.
Some friends of ours own a flat on Lewes Road. It has a huge wall, and was always being tagged and defaced. The owners got together and commissioned a piece of art from a local graffiti artist. It's had a couple of tags (which get painted over) but absolutely nothing compared to what it used to be like.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Whenever I walk into nature and find a Coca Cola can I almost get a tear in my eye and start thinking about how nice it is that someone had a fun, good time at a beautiful place. A tidy city is a dead city where the city itself and the people are too stale and disinterested to actually notice and interact with surroundings.
I think me and you are on different wavelengths, I honestly don’t think we are going to agree on this.

Your point about the Coca Cola can…..odd take on littering.
I often walk in the countryside and enjoy the peace, fresh air and looking at views, i can do this without dropping litter.

Your point about the city….another odd take.
Many people visit Brighton and other towns/ cities to walk around and look at the buildings. I have visited Lewes many times but see something interesting by just looking around every time I go there.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
It would be very easy to assume this criminality is down to “yoofs” or the mentally ill.

Because it is.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
There is only one proven way to beat graffiti: to gentrify the area or city. Remove all creative, playful people and replace them with boring, rich people.

Quick removal and zero tolerance doesn't work. Stockholm had the harshest anti-graffiti policy of any city in Europe: every single little tag had to be reported to the police, photographed and removed within 24 hours.

It did not decrease the amount of graffiti, it cost tax payers and property owners hundreds of millions, and was abandoned after about 20 years. Similar results in some American cities where they've tried this approach.
Would you be happy if someone sprayed up your own property that you have worked hard to obtain, the home where your wife and children sleep at night if you had them. Or would they still be fun loving people having a laugh at your expense?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
Would you be happy if someone sprayed up your own property that you have worked hard to obtain, the home where your wife and children sleep at night if you had them. Or would they still be fun loving people having a laugh at your expense?
Don’t engage on these issues mate. Keep blocked and click to view comments in football related threads.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think me and you are on different wavelengths, I honestly don’t think we are going to agree on this.

Your point about the Coca Cola can…..odd take on littering.
I often walk in the countryside and enjoy the peace, fresh air and looking at views, i can do this without dropping litter.

Your point about the city….another odd take.
Many people visit Brighton and other towns/ cities to walk around and look at the buildings. I have visited Lewes many times but see something interesting by just looking around every time I go there.
Probably right that we won't find common ground here but do accept your perspective.
I'd be very happy and proud if someone felt "my property" inspired them to write or paint something.
Laughing is good. If people can have a laugh at my "expense" (£0), its all good.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Probably right that we won't find common ground here but do accept your perspective.

I'd be very happy and proud if someone felt "my property" inspired them to write or paint something.
Laughing is good. If people can have a laugh at my "expense" (£0), its all good.
OK, give me your address and I'll pop over to Sweden and give you a giant cock and balls on your front door...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
OK, give me your address and I'll pop over to Sweden and give you a giant cock and balls on your front door...
Don’t engage on these issues mate. Keep blocked and click to view comments in football related threads.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Wasn't too sure what tagging was - so had to look it up. I suppose this I saw in Manchester is irony really!

1679178969382.png

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Tidy...
The main beauty with graffiti isn't the art itself (which is in many cases quite poor), but the amazing concept of people noticing and interacting with the surroundings.
Kids today dream of Hollywood, they watch their screens and go into fantasy worlds. That some still do the opposite and go out with a couple of friends and tag things or steal apples from backyards or have a jam on the sidewalk or whatever... is just fantastic. Whenever I walk into nature and find a Coca Cola can I almost get a tear in my eye and start thinking about how nice it is that someone had a fun, good time at a beautiful place. A tidy city is a dead city where the city itself and the people are too stale and disinterested to actually notice and interact with surroundings.
You're on Ignore but this thread interests me as I love the street artwork of say Richard Hambleton from the past in the US or Aroe in Brighton, more recent times. I hate tagging though, which is often on people's own property rather than council or property of Da Man (not that that makes it ok). So I had a look at a couple of your posts on this thread. :lol: Oh dear, you've excelled yourself here! I thought you were an adult but you seem perhaps 13 or 14, mentally. Do you consider yourself "edgy" and other people too "normal" and "boring"? Are you the type to spray "Conform" on a wall as your big act of rebellion? Actually, often I've thought you are on a bad wind up on here but do you seriously believe the guff that you spout, man. Deary me, that chip on your shoulder aswell. Back to leaving you on Ignore, and no peeks. Life is too short to listen to contributions from eejets.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You're on Ignore but this thread interests me as I love the work of say Richard Hambleton from the past in the US or Areo in Brighton, more recent times. I hate tagging though, which is often on people's own property rather than council or property of Da Man (not that that makes it ok). So I had a look at a couple of your posts on this thread. :lol: Oh dear, you've excelled yourself here! I thought you were an adult but you seem perhaps 13 or 14, mentally. Do you consider yourself "edgy" and other people too "normal" and "boring"? Are you the type to spray "Conform" on a wall as your big act of rebellion? Actually, often I've thought you are on a bad wind up on here but do you seriously believe the guff that you spout, man. Deary me, that chip on your shoulder aswell. Back to leaving you on Ignore, and no peeks thankfully. Life is too short to listen to contributions from eejets.
Thanks for your valuable contribution.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Tagging does seem to have gone mad recently around my area of Brighton, more so than normal. All the road bollards on my street recently covered , plus tagging over the street art covering the cable routing boxes (this was decent artwork and seems disrespectful to an actual artist). Lots of "toast" tags around town. Plus some tagging on peoples garden walls, which seems a more recent phenomenon (mahna, mahna) rather than the railway wall opposite (always covered). As part of the volunteer tidy up team in Brighton I have cleaned up some phone boxes in Brighton but I refuse to do it anymore as it's pointless (no one uses them anyway, unless for a piss, the tagging returns almost immediately, waste of time). Much prefer cleaning up the litter on Whitehawk Hill we did recently. The tidy up team does include some actual artists (you'll see the "bubbles" artwork on some walls in Brighton, with agreement of the owners). The Council does have a graffiti removal team but they only concentrate on the seafront and tourist areas mainly of course in my experience.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Tagging does seem to have gone mad recently around my area of Brighton, more so than normal. All the road bollards on my street recently covered , plus tagging over the street art covering the cable routing boxes (this was decent artwork and seems disrespectful to an actual artist). Lots of "toast" tags around town. Plus some tagging on peoples garden walls, which seems a more recent phenomenon (mahna, mahna) rather than the railway wall opposite (always covered). As part of the volunteer tidy up team in Brighton I have cleaned up some phone boxes in Brighton but I refuse to do it anymore as it's pointless (no one uses them anyway, unless for a piss, the tagging returns almost immediately, waste of time). Much prefer cleaning up the litter on Whitehawk Hill we did recently. The tidy up team does include some actual artists (you'll see the "bubbles" artwork on some walls in Brighton, with agreement of the owners). The Council does have a graffiti removal team but they only concentrate on the seafront and tourist areas mainly of course in my experience.
Role model: Mickey Mouse

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Some friends of ours own a flat on Lewes Road. It has a huge wall, and was always being tagged and defaced. The owners got together and commissioned a piece of art from a local graffiti artist. It's had a couple of tags (which get painted over) but absolutely nothing compared to what it used to be like.
The church, where I go, in New England Street, asked an artist to paint a homeless person on our wall. It’s a superb piece of artwork, and helps to remind those that need it, there’s help available there.
It doesn’t get tagged.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The church, where I go, in New England Street, asked an artist to paint a homeless person on our wall. It’s a superb piece of artwork, and helps to remind those that need it, there’s help available there.
It doesn’t get tagged.
5D7F2164-FEF5-4495-9617-02E5FA30114A.jpeg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

There speaks a man who has not worked his bollocks off to buy and spruce up his house.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There speaks a man who has not worked his bollocks off to buy and spruce up his house.
Well, the failures of your generation makes it nearly impossible to buy a house nowadays unless you have filthy rich parents. I could work my bollocks of for 20 years and still not have the £300k needed for a bang average shed in this country.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here