Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Graffiti Tagging - who is doing it and why?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Reaching out to those in the know here, and realising that I'm sounding like a naive old dear, but it's something that's been puzzling me for a while.

Graffiti tagging is epidemic in Brighton - and virtually any building is now fair game.

From the sheer number and variety of tags (not graffiti artwork, which is mostly pretty stunning), there must be a lot of people out and about with spray cans.

Yet when visiting city centres like Newcastle and Liverpool for away games they seem relatively untouched in comparison.

Why is it such a huge thing in Brighton? Who is doing it and why?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Graffiti Tagging - who is doing it and why?
Cos they is tw@ts.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I never understood it and probably never will, it just makes an area look run down and abandoned but it fits in with the general decay and litter.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Bored kids who haven't been taught to respect other peoples belongings. Need a bloody good hiding.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bored kids who haven't been taught to respect other peoples belongings. Need a bloody good hiding.

Attractive idea as it sounds, I think a bloody good hiding these days would just end up with the concerned citizen protecting their own property being the one who ends up with a criminal record. Time tagging was made a specific criminal offence though, with serious penalties in law for offenders.
Could somebody invent some sort of electronic tag that would block any wifi or mobile phone signal within a couple of metres of the person sentenced to wear it for 6 months - I think that might be quite an effective deterrent. Might improve the offender's social skills at the same time too!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No idea, it’s perceived by their peers as being cool.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Think Brighton has the same amount of graffiti as other places but less cleaning up of graffiti so it all just accumulates. Seems to be concentrated in certain areas (Western Road, London Rd, Lewes Rd). Go to Paris, Madrid, Rome or London and there is loads more than Brighton.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Brighton and Hove council are running a consultation on how best to deal with the issue. Full details below including an opportunity to put your views /ideas / solutions to Councillors.

https://new.brighton-hove.gov.uk/news/2019/fed-graffiti-and-tagging-help-us-rub-it-out-good
https://consultations.brighton-hove...ts/graffiti-removal-enforcement-consultation/

I'm reminded by the chorus of a Del Amitri song " And nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all, the needle returns to the start of the song and we all sing along like before "

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I've never been really interested in it but when I was at secondary school a kid in my year was tagging EVERYWHERE along the south coast. I went with him one night just to see what it was like and it was crap. We exerted way too much energy climbing over wire fences, walls, climbing up onto rooves, dodging trains running along the tracks etc just so he could scribble HEAL on pretty much every surface he saw. He was a nice enough kid but he just got a kick out of seeing his tag everywhere and being the one who other taggers spoke about. He enjoyed the thrill of being chased and getting away too.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Do they ever prosecute people when caught/ ? If so it is probably a rap on the knuckles. There was a case earlier in the year and twp girls were caught in action on film. What happened in the end?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I quite like the ALBION painted on the side of the barn north of the A27 in Shoreham.

not a fan of illiterate scribbles on garage doors though

Lush

Mods' Pet
I've never been really interested in it but when I was at secondary school a kid in my year was tagging EVERYWHERE along the south coast. I went with him one night just to see what it was like and it was crap. We exerted way too much energy climbing over wire fences, walls, climbing up onto rooves, dodging trains running along the tracks etc just so he could scribble HEAL on pretty much every surface he saw. He was a nice enough kid but he just got a kick out of seeing his tag everywhere and being the one who other taggers spoke about. He enjoyed the thrill of being chased and getting away too.

So it’s the ‘cool’ secondary school kids of Brighton sneaking out after midnight?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

You're right. It's the thrill. the thrill of getting away with something risky is very appealing to someone that age.

It's also the ability to stand out. You see the same behaviour on NSC and on social media generally. People saying ridiculous things to compete for attention. In the instagram generation this is going to be worse. Petty vandalism is just a different way for a young person to stand out from the crowd. They are going to be sharing what they've done online and getting a lot of peer congratulations for it. They'll think they are Banksy and they'll think they are sticking it to the system. We all probably found our own ways of doing that when we were young

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If it's offensive or on public property then the council will remove it; https://new.brighton-hove.gov.uk/rubbish-recycling-and-streets/streets/what-do-about-graffiti. A lot of the tagging isn't deemed offensive or on council owned property, in which case it is up to the land-owner.

Getting caught tagging is a small fine for the first offence. Community service (hopefully removing tagging) for future offences.

It would make sense for it to be a specific criminal offence with a punishment of .... cleaning up a tonne of tagging

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here