Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Graffiti Tagging - who is doing it and why?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s a bit like living in the centre of Brighton and complaining about homeless people begging on the street. Why should I spend my day worrying about that, after all it's just part of life.

Why should I worry about CO2 pollution after all it's just part of life now.

Why should I worry about leaving the EU, it was democratically voted for so it's part of life now.

Why should I worry about poverty and people having to use foodbanks, It's just part of life after all.

It’s isn't a “bit like” these things at all. Graffiti doesn’t impact your well being, like pollution, EU, poverty etc. Personally, I can’t get worked up about it. I’ll leave this thread here.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I may be wrong but I find it hard to believe that any of the highly-talented street artists who create the major murals around town would bother wasting their time tagging, which seems to me a desperate bid for recognition from the totally talent-free - the equivalent of dogs scent-marking. And some of their murals are regularly defaced by taggers.

You are! It is 2 sides of the same coin. There's a chap that uses the moniker Aroe to do a lot of murals and commissions in Brighton, even for the council in the past. Regularly see his tags about the place and he has an instagram where he proudly shows off the trains he has defaced etc. The way it currently works is the big murals wouldn't exist without the tagging as it is all part of the same thing (trying to get your pen name seen by your peers, some do it by simple repetition and some by creating big colourful works). Not saying that is how it should be but tagging and street-art/murals go hand in hand.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
41CE80A4-AB8D-430C-B391-677157BC7EBE.jpeg

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oi!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Apologies. I accept that inferring cause and effect and implying a correlation was wrong.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
There is also a national, international element too. In the same way there are professional gamers, there are professional street artists / taggers. Certain individuals will frequent Barcelona, Bath, Brighton, London or wherever and go on a tagging spree weekend. Literally putting their name / tag everywhere they can. Also a few throw ups, which are more quick 3-4 minutes, silver / black name pieces, followed by a really detailed mural if possible, that can take all afternoon. People who do very stunning murals are also the most prolific taggers, although the very good artist probably grow out of tagging or at least think it maybe isn’t worth the risk any more. Being very good at graffiti art takes years of practice and by then they will have put up 1000s of tags.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
When I went on the Hove-Worthing train in 1999 for the first time in 20 years, I was pretty shocked by the graffiti at the stations, including on the station name plates (at least at Southwick).
Another 20 years on, what are they like now?

Pretty much 100% graffiti free thanks to CCTV

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
It’s isn't a “bit like” these things at all. Graffiti doesn’t impact your well being, like pollution, EU, poverty etc. Personally, I can’t get worked up about it. I’ll leave this thread here.

It might be a different order of magnitude from these other things, but graffiti do certainly impact on my wellbeing in the sense that they tend to impair my enjoyment of the streets and buildings of my home town, and I resent that impairment.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
A tagger has been caught daubing his mess throughout Brighton and admitted causing damage . He has been let off with a caution. No wonder Brighton is in such a mess.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

It does though. The same as littering and broken windows. A lot of people find it depressing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pretty much 100% graffiti free thanks to CCTV

Faversham is the same. We piloted CCTV in the 90s and street crime virtually vanished. We have had occasional graffiti on a buiding near the bridge across the creek but it gets painted out very quickly. Elsewhere . . . I can't actually recall ever seeing anything.

When I get the train to Victoria I can see graffiti from maybe 20 years ago. The bloke who was put away used the tag 'VAMP'. It amuses me to see is work fading away or being painted over by other nobbers.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/8g7wna/surveyor-dad-graffiti-gang-kingpin-kristian-holmes

From the above, this is a thing of beauty:

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation, but here was one who channelled all that nervous energy into flipping the script. He was trapped in the body of a man from Sidcup. But he fought back against it. I bet he stood on top of the vintage trains of the East Kent Railway while vandalising them in April 2009, and said: “I am not ordinary. I am extraordinary. I am Kristian Holmes. Yes, Kristian Holmes, the man who wouldn't go gentle into that good night, or at least write the word VAMP on as many public surfaces as humanly possible before being forced to bow to The Man. Tell me, are you not entertained?!” And then he probably went home and watched The Wire, and played Fifa, safe in the knowledge that ordinariness was not even on his radar.

And slightly more platitudinous from the Grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/jun/21/my-secret-life-graffiti-artist

Last edited:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
A tagger has been caught daubing his mess throughout Brighton and admitted causing damage . He has been let off with a caution. No wonder Brighton is in such a mess.

He was given a conditional caution....the condition was that he spend a day doing unpaid work....which he did with me, removing Graffiti from the Rockery and nearby areas.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This bloke seems very proud of his work. No shame whatsoever. In fact the lack of shame has encouraged the Conservative Party to make Mr Nemeth their Hove Candidate for the coming election. Expect a lot more tagging in the following weeks.

hove lag.jpg

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
If it's offensive or on public property then the council will remove it; https://new.brighton-hove.gov.uk/rubbish-recycling-and-streets/streets/what-do-about-graffiti. A lot of the tagging isn't deemed offensive or on council owned property, in which case it is up to the land-owner.

Getting caught tagging is a small fine for the first offence. Community service (hopefully removing tagging) for future offences.

This is the problem; Brighton Council have ring-fenced a tiny remit for grafitti removal which doesn't barely scratch the surface of the problem. It's obvious that the Council needs to take a muscular lead on this and equip several teams to remove tags quickly. When tags are left they immediately attract more and become the norm.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
This bloke seems very proud of his work. No shame whatsoever. In fact the lack of shame has encouraged the Conservative Party to make Mr Nemeth their Hove Candidate for the coming election. Expect a lot more tagging in the following weeks.

View attachment 116795

But I can't see any tagging? That is permitted grafitti art...

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I dig it. I often prefer tags over just some gray concrete wall. I also get insanely happy knowing there are some kids around who are not completely psychosodomized by their phones and computers.

Well don't get too insanely happy mate... social media and Instagram in particular is awash with proud taggers posting their latest scribble. The psychosodimisation has already happened...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here