Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ravi Bopara joins Sussex

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://sussexcricket.co.uk/news/ra...6DfBfCEiZJrj2BLRgx6dSyjq09nSIfkGQVAdkvEGsh-ok

Sussex Cricket is thrilled to announce the signing of all-rounder Ravi Bopara from Essex.

The 34-year-old is one of the outstanding white-ball players of his generation. His 6,646 runs in 331 T20 appearances make Ravi the format’s 19th highest run-scorer of all time, while there are only 28 players with more T20 wickets than his 221.

He has played in many of the biggest tournaments around the world, including the Indian Premier League and Big Bash League and for England in both the 50-over and T20 World Cups.

Ravi has played 38 T20Is and his 120 ODIs make him England’s 16th most capped player in the format. In all List A cricket, he has 9,845 runs at an average over 40 and a top score of 201 not out, as well as 248 wickets from 323 matches.

He also has a formidable record in first-class cricket, amassing 12,821 runs and 257 wickets from 221 matches, including 31 centuries. Three of those hundreds came in 13 Test appearances for England.

In English domestic cricket, Ravi was part of the Essex teams that have won two of the last three Specsavers County Championships, this year’s Vitality Blast as well as one-day competitions in 2005, 2006 and 2008.

In the 2019 Blast, Ravi had a batting average of 48.5 and a strike-rate of over 162. An unbeaten 36 from just 22 balls was central to Essex Eagle’s victory over Worcestershire Rapids in the final. He also took 12 wickets at an economy rate of 7.45 and was named Essex’s T20 player of the year.

After completing his move to Sussex, Ravi said: “I want to thank Sussex for this opportunity. It is a great chance to play under a respected and acknowledged coach like Jason Gillespie and with a very strong and talented team of players, many of whom will no doubt go on to receive international honours.

“On a personal note I have a burning desire to achieve greater things in this wonderful game. I will now put a greater emphasis on T20 cricket. I am fitter and stronger than I have ever been and playing my best cricket.

“I want to emphasise that I am not giving up red-ball cricket but I will, for now, play less of it to find time in the calendar year to up-skill in T20 and take my game to a new level as I still have a drive to play international cricket.

“Here’s to the future and hopefully another decade of happy and successful times.”

Sussex head coach, Gillespie added: “I’m really, really excited about having Ravi Bopara join us at Sussex. It’s a bit of a coup for us to be perfectly honest: what a wonderful player Ravi has been for England and Essex for a long, long time.

“His knowledge and experience are going to be invaluable in our dressing room. He’s a great lad and we’re very thankful that Ravi has decided to join us. Players and coaches alike are excited to work with him and learn from him.”

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Interesting. As long as he's still got it he can add depth in all formats.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Interesting. As long as he's still got it he can add depth in all formats.

Sounds like he has a bit left in the tank for a couple of seasons....

In English domestic cricket, Ravi was part of the Essex teams that have won two of the last three Specsavers County Championships, this year’s Vitality Blast as well as one-day competitions in 2005, 2006 and 2008.

In the 2019 Blast, Ravi had a batting average of 48.5 and a strike-rate of over 162. An unbeaten 36 from just 22 balls was central to Essex Eagle’s victory over Worcestershire Rapids in the final. He also took 12 wickets at an economy rate of 7.45 and was named Essex’s T20 player of the year.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
https://sussexcricket.co.uk/news/ra...6DfBfCEiZJrj2BLRgx6dSyjq09nSIfkGQVAdkvEGsh-ok

Sussex Cricket is thrilled to announce the signing of all-rounder Ravi Bopara from Essex.

The 34-year-old is one of the outstanding white-ball players of his generation. His 6,646 runs in 331 T20 appearances make Ravi the format’s 19th highest run-scorer of all time, while there are only 28 players with more T20 wickets than his 221.

He has played in many of the biggest tournaments around the world, including the Indian Premier League and Big Bash League and for England in both the 50-over and T20 World Cups.

Ravi has played 38 T20Is and his 120 ODIs make him England’s 16th most capped player in the format. In all List A cricket, he has 9,845 runs at an average over 40 and a top score of 201 not out, as well as 248 wickets from 323 matches.

He also has a formidable record in first-class cricket, amassing 12,821 runs and 257 wickets from 221 matches, including 31 centuries. Three of those hundreds came in 13 Test appearances for England.

After completing his move to Sussex, Ravi said: “I want to thank Sussex for this opportunity. It is a great chance to play under a respected and acknowledged coach like Jason Gillespie and with a very strong and talented team of players, many of whom will no doubt go on to receive international honours.

“On a personal note I have a burning desire to achieve greater things in this wonderful game. I will now put a greater emphasis on T20 cricket. I am fitter and stronger than I have ever been and playing my best cricket.

“I want to emphasise that I am not giving up red-ball cricket but I will, for now, play less of it to find time in the calendar year to up-skill in T20 and take my game to a new level as I still have a drive to play international cricket.

“Here’s to the future and hopefully another decade of happy and successful times.”

Sussex head coach, Gillespie added: “I’m really, really excited about having Ravi Bopara join us at Sussex. It’s a bit of a coup for us to be perfectly honest: what a wonderful player Ravi has been for England and Essex for a long, long time.

“His knowledge and experience are going to be invaluable in our dressing room. He’s a great lad and we’re very thankful that Ravi has decided to join us. Players and coaches alike are excited to work with him and learn from him.”

Blinding player....Great signing

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sounds like he has a bit left in the tank for a couple of seasons....

Wow. I didn't realise he was still performing at that level.

I wonder why Essex let him go.

Also, he's an upgrade on Reese Topley.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Blimey. Still got two or three years at the very top left in him. Outstanding signing.

I wonder how long the contract is.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
So are we getting a red ball batsman or not ?
He doesn’t sound very sure.
That’s what we need (speaking as a long form kind of guy).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great signing, I'm really pleased about this one.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Why did Essex let him go? I suspect he ran his contract down knowing a large pay day somewhere awaits
Will he play red ball? Probably not much of it no. There won't be a 2020 league he won't try and get involved in
Can he get back into international cricket like he suggests? ha ha ha ha
Was this a good signing? I don't think so. He's still a good player, but we've spent a good amount of our budget to improve the one day team, which was good anyway when it's our red ball batting which was hopeless last season.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Interesting focus on white ball cricket given the downgrade of the 50 over competition and the current uncertainty of the 100 over domestic 20/20.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why did Essex let him go? I suspect he ran his contract down knowing a large pay day somewhere awaits
Will he play red ball? Probably not much of it no. There won't be a 2020 league he won't try and get involved in
Can he get back into international cricket like he suggests? ha ha ha ha
Was this a good signing? I don't think so. He's still a good player, but we've spent a good amount of our budget to improve the one day team, which was good anyway when it's our red ball batting which was hopeless last season.

This for me. Appears all hope and ambition has been lost in terms of red ball cricket.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO the main aim of Sussex must be to gain promotion back to Div 1 and if this helps it is a good move. White ball should be pushed aside to ensure promotion if needed.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Strange move by him. Has been winning everything with Essex so can only be joining for money

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good signing, glad we're getting a few decent batters in.

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
Implication is he will play the international T20 circuit and fill the coffers and so with red ball being played March/April and Sept (or no doubt January /Feb and Nov/Dec to accommodate the 100 ball and the yet to be announced 50 ball competition and 2021 for those with limited cricketing attention span so they can get back to their computer games, the 6 ball), he will, I guess only play T20 or less; maybe T50 if in the country

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
So are we getting a red ball batsman or not ?.

I have been told by a very good source that Bopari has been contracted for all formats, whilst he will be committed to appear in a minimum of 8 county games through the season.
Was also told he was only offered a white ball contract by Essex.

Cracking signing and finally gives us an experienced batsmen at the top of the order, whilst somebody for the youngsters to learn from.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Guaranteed to twang a hamstring in April.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So are we getting a red ball batsman or not ?
He doesn’t sound very sure.
That’s what we need (speaking as a long form kind of guy).

He played 10 Championship games in a title winning team, scored 514 runs average 39.54 scoring 2 centuries. I'd say he's a decent enough red ball batsmen. :hilton:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here