Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] How does a Firestick work?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Does anyone know how a 'firestick' works? Could I purchase one as a one off that has all the Sky Sports channels on it? Is 'now TV similar? Or am I better off just getting a sky sports subscription?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Does anyone know how a 'firestick' works? Could I purchase one as a one off that has all the Sky Sports channels on it? Is 'now TV similar? Or am I better off just getting a sky sports subscription?

A firestick is an Amazon device which is intended to be used to watch Amazon Prime videos with. It plugs into your TV and is powered by USB. What some clever clogs have worked out is you an load additional software on them which then can access dodgy streams to watch on your TV. Very likely to find someone on gumtree or eBay selling Firesticks that have been set up (used to advertised as "fully loaded" as a euphemism for pre-hacked) but a word of warning in that any IPTV service you subscribe to (which is where the stream comes from) could at any moment be blocked/taken down as it is a bit like whack-a-mole with these services and the authorities.

You're probably better off getting a NowTV stick and buying a sports pass. Keep an eye out for special offers: at start of football or F1 season they often do a deal. I paid £199 for months of sports with them as part of a special "football season" deal which isn't that much more than a subscription to a snide service.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
A firestick is an Amazon device which is intended to be used to watch Amazon Prime videos with. It plugs into your TV and is powered by USB. What some clever clogs have worked out is you an load additional software on them which then can access dodgy streams to watch on your TV. Very likely to find someone on gumtree or eBay selling Firesticks that have been set up (used to advertised as "fully loaded" as a euphemism for pre-hacked) but a word of warning in that any IPTV service you subscribe to (which is where the stream comes from) could at any moment be blocked/taken down as it is a bit like whack-a-mole with these services and the authorities.

You're probably better off getting a NowTV stick and buying a sports pass. Keep an eye out for special offers: at start of football or F1 season they often do a deal.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not so sure on the use of the words 'clever clogs' by [MENTION=34787]BNthree[/MENTION] because I have one and it's fab.

I guess mine is now 'fully-loaded' but that's down to Youtube.

So a Firestick turns a regular TV, with an HDMI slot, into a smart TV, all for £29.99.

Plug it in, connect it too your broadband, you're away.

You get instant access to all the on demand services, I-Player, ITV, Chl 4 etc.
Then there's 101 different legal apps you can get, I'm currently into TuneIn radio, so that's instant access to the world of radio or in my case 'background noise' Podcasts - See podcast thread.

Then you can go a little less legal by downloading Kodi.

My understanding is Kodi is a platform from which you can download TV and film libraries, allowing you to watch ANYTHING.
I won't go into detail as to which libraries but they are there - See 'Obscure TV thread'.

As for Sport there is an excellent host from India (or Pakistan) from which you can view just about anything being broadcast internationally.

There are free IP vanishes which may or may not be any good, but are required.

As said all of this was bought to me by Youtube.
There are 1001 different tutorials, on how to upload your Firestick you just have to find the one targeted at your level of stooooopid.
(As they stoop down to my level they will find yours)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and I first bought a Roku stick - DON'T.

Compared it's ok for legal stuff, on demand services, but compared to a Firestick it's 20th century tech.
Probably ok for a kids bedroom TV.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I got a now TV stick with a month Sky Sports included- works fine and simple to set up. You can either keep the Sky Sports running for £39.99 per month or just use the period included and cancel the ongoing subscription. Curry's have decent prices- £39.99 for the stick with 1 month Sky Sports or £99.99 including 3 months. now tv.jpg

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
i have a Kodi and not missed a game now since i had it. Could be foreign commentary but well worth it in my opinion
30 quid and auto updates if streams go down
i am not advocating this sort of thing at all btw - it is very naughty and not worth it

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Even more random, for me, I've recently downloaded Pluto TV and am watching WTP - World Tour Poker.

I know not why but do find it fairly compulsive viewing.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
A Firestick is just an Android device (cloaked by an Amazon skin). You can load on virtually anything you could load onto an Android phone or box.

Sometimes you need to download and install directly an APK instead of using the Amazon App Store.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
i have a Kodi and not missed a game now since i had it. Could be foreign commentary but well worth it in my opinion
30 quid and auto updates if streams go down
i am not advocating this sort of thing at all btw - it is very naughty and not worth it

What's the picture quality like? 1080p? Stuttering? Buffering?

Cheers

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A Firestick is just an Android device (cloaked by an Amazon skin). You can load on virtually anything you could load onto an Android phone or box.

Sometimes you need to download and install directly an APK instead of using the Amazon App Store.
I'm rather evangelical about it.

For me it's an absolute game changer and have no idea why everybody doesn't have one, esp on game day or fans of the 'obscure' thread.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I would recommend getting the 4K stick. Costs a bit more but far quicker and more reliable. You can also take it with you when you go away and you have your netflix/prime etc with you.

I too like my firestick, and because of it's portability I could if I wished watch every Brighton game on any TV ,with the necessary connections, anywhere in the world.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

Will it work on a MacBook? Or Android only?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don’t know but my working class friend has a huge satellite dish and probably has one of these to help him watch tv whilst he’s smoking fags all day. I’ll ask him. Please, no need to thank me.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Take one out of the box ( I use England's Glory or Swan Vesta), quickly run the coloured end on the rough sandpaper on the edge of the box and hey presto! You are in business.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here