Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] When did you last see a hedgehog?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
2 months ago scuttling down the side of my house. Quite a large beast.

We had one in our garden throughout the summer, disappeared about six weeks ago. Maybe he found a garden where a dog wasn't harrassing him every night

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not seen one for years. My 7 y/o has never seen one. Live in Portslade right next to the downs so I would expect to see more wildlife than I do. Alarming

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
In my garden, in daylight ( back in the summer ) Found it dead behind the greenhouse, about a week later. Spoke to someone who helps in a hedgehog sanctuary and they were mortified. Told me that seeing them in daylight indicates they are unwell and that I should have taken it straight to the nearest rescue centre. Didn't have the nerve to tell them that this was the second one in about 12 months.
( ps Used to get stag beetles in the garden as well....saw three together at one time once....but none for a very long time. )

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
How funny was having this same conversation with someone only last week. As a kid used to see them all the time in the garden and loads squashed in in the road don’t think I have seen one for over 15 years

Like white dog poo just don’t see it anymore

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Not as often as when I was a child, but I stopped traffic near Piddinghoe to help one cross the road in the summer. Before that probably been a few years.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
One evening last week I looked out of our bedroom window at about 11.30pm and saw one scuttling across the road - had obviously come out of our garden and under the back gate.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Not seen one for years. My 7 y/o has never seen one. Live in Portslade right next to the downs so I would expect to see more wildlife than I do. Alarming

Like you we back onto the Downs and I can't remember the last time I saw a hedgehog in our garden.

Plenty of birds and squirrels and the odd country rat but no hedgies. Shame.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I haven't seen a live one for some years, but saw one run over in Bramber recently.

when I live in Church St Shorehamabout 17 years ago I used to have one visit the garden regularly, even came in the garage one evening, and caught him trying to eat a baby squirrel alive!

The amount of foxes and cats in town, as well as safe habitat is probably to blame for their demise. although they'd struggle to get into our garden as its walled. we do have lots of newts though

I have seen a few stag beetles this year . . . . and saw a prickly prick canvassing in blue at the 'farmers' market
[MENTION=3147]Seasider78[/MENTION] - we have white dog pooh fairly regularly . . . . feed the dog a bone or hide chew sticks and you get them . . . .

albionite

May 20, 2009
Funny you asked this question saw one last night cross the road at yapton. Not seen one for ages

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Hopefully they are doing a bit better in the proper countryside than the towns. Though I doubt it

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not seen personally but my neighbour has one frequently in their garden. my parents have them too, more often then when i lived there, contrary to reports of their demise.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
70% of the hedgehog population has been lost in the last 40 years. It is estimated there are only about 1 million left in the UK.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I saw a plump one stare down a fox in my Nan's garden last week. The fox seemed keen to commit a murder but the 'Hog wasn't having any of it, stared him down until eventually the fox ran off and the 'Hog rolled around on the grass in triumph.

It was tragically struck and killed by the ambulance when it arrived, though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here