Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Paul Gascoigne kissing trial

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Correct verdict. Contrary to popular belief Gascoigne is not a raging alcoholic, not even alcohol dependent. If he was he would not be able to go months and years without a drink which he has done. He has rare benders when he loses the plot. He has had medicals and got a clean bill of health on his liver and kidney's. He actually looks as well as he has done for years in todays photo's. Hopefully Gazza will continue to fight his demons and overcome them

Last edited:

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Sadly Gazza is a very ill alcoholic and has been for 25 years. One day we’ll wake to the news that he’s either passed away or has done something really stupid. Despite the love and time of loads of true mates such as Lineker, Mabbutt and Venables, he’s unable to change, unable to kick the habit which is destroying him. Would love to see him beat the booze, but it’s not going to happen. What a waste ... the most talented English footballer in my lifetime.

This.Anyone who thinks otherwise knows nothing about alcoholism as a condition.

As you say,unless he gets help,it is only going to end up one way.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Correct verdict. Contrary to popular belief Gascoigne is not a raging alcoholic, not even alcohol dependent. If he was he would not be able to go months and years without a drink which he has done. He has rare benders when he loses the plot. He has had medicals and got a clean bill of health on his liver and kidney's. He actually looks as well as he has done for years in todays photo's. Hopefully Gazza will continue to fight his demons and overcome them

Complete crap.

Alcoholism is NOT about being dependent on alcohol,it is about being powerless over it.Once he takes that first drink,he cannot stop.

As a previous poster stated,unless he gets help,he is heading for an early grave.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Complete crap.

Alcoholism is NOT about being dependent on alcohol,it is about being powerless over it.Once he takes that first drink,he cannot stop.

As a previous poster stated,unless he gets help,he is heading for an early grave.

It is not crap. Read my post again

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Complete crap.

He is not heading for an early grave if he has a 3-4 day bender a couple of times a year. Don't be so ridiculous

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Complete crap.

This.

Gazza’s very sadly an alcoholic in a big way. It’s not hearsay. In his autobio he openly admits that by his mid-20’s he was training and playing whilst under the influence, he just can’t stop drinking heavily. Also covered in the honest Piers Morgan, Gazza’s life story. He only ever found a kind of happiness once when in the camaraderie of those England camps in his early career. The rest of his life he has an emptiness, plus a guilt from seeing his young mate killed (not his fault) when he was charged with looking after him when a kid himself.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Complete crap.

Not as simple as that. There are different phenotypes. How would you describe someone sleeping on the street who has downed three cans of Hi Test before ten in the morning? Or someone who binge drinks only at the weekend (and beats up the missus at the end of it - that's optional)? Or who drinks every day, but only in the evenings, and only a couple of glasses? How about a bottle of wine every night?

It isn't black and white or the same for everyone.

Maybe the fact I'm not like Gazza or the various people I know who are banned from local pubs, can't hold down a job etc etc, means I am not an alcoholic. But by other measures.....:shrug:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not as simple as that. There are different phenotypes. How would you describe someone sleeping on the street who has downed three cans of Hi Test before ten in the morning? Or someone who binge drinks only at the weekend (and beats up the missus at the end of it - that's optional)? Or who drinks every day, but only in the evenings, and only a couple of glasses? How about a bottle of wine every night?

It isn't black and white or the same for everyone.

Maybe the fact I'm not like Gazza or the various people I know who are banned from local pubs, can't hold down a job etc etc, means I am not an alcoholic. But by other measures.....:shrug:

There are many high functioners caning over 100 units a week and holding down responsible jobs. As I said Gascoigne is a recovering alcoholic. I think he has probably drunk less than 95% of nsc members the last year

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Adrian Chiles programme was good. He was smashing over 100 units a week for a long time. Difference is he does not have mental health issues. Gazza does. Mental health issues x large alcohol intake is a toxic combination

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This.

Gazza’s very sadly an alcoholic in a big way. It’s not hearsay. In his autobio he openly admits that by his mid-20’s he was training and playing whilst under the influence, he just can’t stop drinking heavily. Also covered in the honest Piers Morgan, Gazza’s life story. He only ever found a kind of happiness once when in the camaraderie of those England camps in his early career. The rest of his life he has an emptiness, plus a guilt from seeing his young mate killed (not his fault) when he was charged with looking after him when a kid himself.

I remember reading that as a young boy, one of Gazza's close friends was diagnosed with asthma and was told he shouldn't play football or exert himself, Gazza said to his mate to sod the doctors and play football. Apparently the young lad had an asthma attack playing football a few weeks later and died. Gazza never forgave himself. I think he is a tragic figure who was never given the help or support he should have had, all the time he could play football, no one cared a jot about his mental health.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
There's been so many things in his early playing career that could have turned out different and led to him becoming England's all-time great.

Manchester United were linked with him before he joined Spurs in 1988 - Sir Alex Ferguson would not have allowed him to behave the way Terry Venables did (maybe that's slightly unfair on Venables).

I feel the match that changed Gazza's life was the 1991 FA Cup final - pretty obvious I know. The two challenges he made were disgraceful - certainly the first one he should have been booked (a knee high challenge on Gary Charles (?) stomach and maybe he wouldn't have fudged his knee as he took stock and calmed down. The moment he made that second tackle changed his life and he was never the same player again. With me being so young at the time, the rest of the Cup final still felt overshadowed and I can't recall Spurs goalscorers. With the move to Lazio signed, sealed and delivered it completely ruined his career.

Apart from Euro '96, I don't think he ever played to his potential ever again. Going to Middlesbrough was enough to drive anyone to drink - and sharing a house with Paul Merson as well!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
There's been so many things in his early playing career that could have turned out different and led to him becoming England's all-time great.

Manchester United were linked with him before he joined Spurs in 1988 - Sir Alex Ferguson would not have allowed him to behave the way Terry Venables did (maybe that's slightly unfair on Venables).

I feel the match that changed Gazza's life was the 1991 FA Cup final - pretty obvious I know. The two challenges he made were disgraceful - certainly the first one he should have been booked (a knee high challenge on Gary Charles (?) stomach and maybe he wouldn't have fudged his knee as he took stock and calmed down. The moment he made that second tackle changed his life and he was never the same player again. With me being so young at the time, the rest of the Cup final still felt overshadowed and I can't recall Spurs goalscorers. With the move to Lazio signed, sealed and delivered it completely ruined his career.

Apart from Euro '96, I don't think he ever played to his potential ever again. Going to Middlesbrough was enough to drive anyone to drink - and sharing a house with Paul Merson as well!

Think rangers fans would disagree .

Widely accepted he played the some of the best football of his career there . Unplayable at times

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Think rangers fans would disagree .

Widely accepted he played the some of the best football of his career there . Unplayable at times

Did they ever forgive him for that utterly brilliant goal against Scotland in '96 ?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I think he's a drunken rapist.

Wow! Unless you know something that has not been published in the media, are you seriously comparing a woman (or man) getting a sloppy wet kiss from a drunk on a train, to being raped?
If you are actually trying to say that they are the same thing then you need to have a look through court cases and find cases of actual rape by definition of law. You will then see the difference and you will also note that rape, (by the definition of law) does not generally tend to happen on a busy train where there are a lot of witnesses! :nono:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Wow! Unless you know something that has not been published in the media, are you seriously comparing a woman (or man) getting a sloppy wet kiss from a drunk on a train, to being raped?
If you are actually trying to say that they are the same thing then you need to have a look through court cases and find cases of actual rape by definition of law. You will then see the difference and you will also note that rape, (by the definition of law) does not generally tend to happen on a busy train where there are a lot of witnesses! :nono:
I think the fella has gone to ground. Doubt you'll get a reply anytime soon

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
If being kissed against one's will is a criminal offence, I could think of several old ladies who should have been on the sex offenders' register for kissing me when I was a little boy. Presumably the paedophile register at that!

I wonder what happens if two people approach and one wants to shake hands and the other thinks they are offering a kiss? When does it become a criminal offence? Obviously kissing someone against their will can be a criminal offence depending on circumstances; but this seems far enough along the "probably innocent" line that prosecution was a waste of time and money.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here