Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Paul Gascoigne kissing trial

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He's a sad drunken buffoon. Frankly I'm amazed he hasn't already carked it.

You do know he has multiples mental health issues ? Easy to post this living a good life in suburbia, with a happy and stable environment but some people struggle daily. What he did was wrong, allegedly, obviously, but I would not be so harsh with this assessment

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think he's a drunken rapist.

Very dodgy ground posting this for all to see on social media. Bozza might want to review this

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
With Paul Scholes, the two best English footballers I have seen in my 40 odd years watching the game.

He was the main reason we got as far as we did in Italia 90 and was unplayable at his best.

Similar in a lot of ways to George Best, just didn't get the support he needed at the time he most needed it.

Terrific player Scholes. Gazza surely an echelon higher though

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Its actually really sad. I'm sure he meant well, but he plainly wasn't capable of realising it was unacceptable. His physical decline is shocking. His mental decline is not. Poor fella. He's fukked.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What do you think?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50056416

I always find myself sticking up for the bloke (and I know about all the things he’s done). I can’t explain why I always stick up for him, I just do

“I know what this is about, I kissed a fat lass” A proper Gazza quote that

Would you still be supportive of hi m if this had been your Sister, Daughter, or Mother. Ask yourself that ?

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
I watched PG many times in his heyday at Spurs and you could feel the excitement every time he got the ball. Wonderful player but clearly has serious physical and mental issues.

Certainly wouldn’t condone his behaviour in this case but a charge of sexual assault sounds rather ott for a drunken kiss.

Would have thought a grovelling apology and a talking to from the police would have been more than adequate unless there’s more to the case than I’m aware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Its actually really sad. I'm sure he meant well, but he plainly wasn't capable of realising it was unacceptable. His physical decline is shocking. His mental decline is not. Poor fella. He's fukked.

So despite it being pointed out that he’s been mostly clean for about 18 months you are happy to publicly state “he’s ****ed”.

Based on what exactly?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Heard from the prosecution, I assume. It’s not very clear who told the court this. Doesn’t mean it’s true regardless...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Paul Gascoigne has Bi-Polar Affective Disorder, with a concurrent serious alcohol problem that exacerbates the symptoms, as well as OCD.

It's frankly amazing he achieved what he actually did in football, as like a lot of Bi-Polar sufferers, he wasn't diagnosed well into adulthood at the tail end of his career. He is vulnerable and it's no surprise in his life hangers on latched onto him and played on that, his natural generosity and the fact underneath it all, there's a heart of gold in him trying to shine through.

I'm not wishing to condone some of the things he's done, but in the aftermath of each of the plethora of mistakes he's made (and bad judgement and irrational behaviour are sadly symptoms of Bi-Polar) there'll be nobody more emotionally mortified at what's happened and what he did than himself due to the emotional intensity the condition causes.

Quite. Whoever said it was his football talent that was his downfall (FFS) is guilty of wafting foundless piffle.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm all in favour of victim statements being allowed in court - it is the right of a victim whose life has been changed for the worst or ruined, or the relatives of someone who has been killed to let the judge know how it's affected them. Absolutely right, make the criminal - and the judge - know just how bad the offence really was.

But I can't help feeling that some victim statements - probably engineered by lawyers out for a 'result' - are rather like a footballer who has genuinely been fouled, and has definitely been knocked to the ground fair - enough but - then falling with three and a half twists with pike, and rolling over and over while clutching their face and finally ending up face down on the ground, twitching convulsively and beating their fist on the ground to indicate their agony. Rather like a grouse full of shotgun pellets hitting the ground at thirty miles an hour.....except the grouse actually dies.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Would you still be supportive of hi m if this had been your Sister, Daughter, or Mother. Ask yourself that ?
S
Or would blue shifted be supportive, if the defendant was a street drunk...........oh, hang on.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Quite. Whoever said it was his football talent that was his downfall (FFS) is guilty of wafting foundless piffle.

I said it.

The point was about the mental illnesses being exacerbated by the alcoholism. The alcoholism bought on by inability to handle to highs and lows and the scrutiny caused by being a top level footballer. I don't know this opinion to be the case so won't defend it to the hilt, but it seems possible in my eyes

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

No I wouldn't. I'm aware it's not a logical response.

Just from what I know and have heard about him (and I've never met), he's not an evil bloke. He badly messes up due to alcoholism and mental illness, before all of that he was a thoroughly decent bloke. I'd be happy if he managed to turn his life around

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
S
Or would blue shifted be supportive, if the defendant was a street drunk...........oh, hang on.

Odd that human nature is that we can form an attachment to people we don't even know. I was delighted for Aaron Connolly to get picked for Ireland. Never met the bloke, him playing the game meant that someone else didn't. I don't know who that other person was and don't really care. I was gutted for CMS when he did his cruciate. Again, I never met the bloke and it didn't affect me personally. I might have reasoned we'd sign someone else as a replacement but I didn't know who that was

I suppose the point I'm making is that, in 2019, we (strangely) find ourselves rooting or otherwise for people we know about, either to sing well, dance well, play football well or just to have a happy life. When David Attenborough dies i'll be more affected than if it's another random 90something I've never heard of.

Gazza is just anther one of those people I've found myself rooting for, probably because I have a knowledge of how he got to be in the state that he's in and I have an opinion on the extent to which it was his fault. Which means yes, I have more sympathy than if it were another street drunk who's back story I don't know. Quite happy for you to form whatever judgement you want about that one.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
He has an awful reputation locally for wandering hands, which I've heard about first-hand. Whilst there's some undoubted sympathy based on his past glories - imagine if he was just a sad old alcoholic who hadn't played for England in his youth who had tried to stick his tongue down a girl's throat. Would anyone be sympathetic to him then?

If he's ill, then he needs treatment - but that doesn't seem to be part of his defence on this occasion.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My guess is Gascoigne made a big mistake when drunk but did not mean anything nasty. In his World he was probably trying to be friendly. Sad state of affairs all round. He won't do it again but hang him out to dry for it ? Nah

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here