Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anadin Extra Rant

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Random topic, for me these are the only tablets that shift a headache but rather than pay £2 a pack I’ve always gone for the 60p supermarket generic equivalent ‘Extra Power Pain Relief’ tablets. Both Morrisons and Sainsbury’s stopped selling the generic ones a few years ago, Waitrose last year and finally Tesco a month or so back so you’re now forced to pay 3x the price, something surely as a result of whoever makes Anadin putting pressure on the supermarkets. Every other pain reliever you can still get in a supermarket generic option. ‘Rant’ over. Anyone else?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
whilst I don't pop pills per se . . . I did notice a big gap on the shelf in the supermarket the other day and wondered why . . . . just assumed it was a Brexit warm up scenario.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Read what the actual drug is in them. Companies cannot change the genetic composition of the drug at all. All they can do is add sugar coating, caffeine etc. to make it taste nicer or supposedly work quicker or put it in a capsule or fancy packaging or increase the dosage. The 30p paracetamol from Tesco are no different to the £3 branded ones in Boots.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/3865/smpc

Active Ingredients:

Aspirin BP - 300 mg/tablet (https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/255124647 - 35p / 16 tablets @300mg)

Paracetamol Ph Eur - 200 mg/tablet (https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/303851329 - 40p / 16 tablets @500mg)

Caffeine Ph Eur - 45 mg/tablet (https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-content/coffee-instant - 1tsp instant coffee = 57mg)

So, instead of 2 Anadin Extra, take 2 generic aspirin, 1 generic paracetamol and a cup of coffee...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Anadin Extra contains;
Aspirin 300 mg/tablet
Paracetamol 200 mg/tablet
Caffeine 45 mg/tablet

Buy some Paracetamol, some Aspirin, neck one of each and have a cup of cofee.

Edit. Always useful to have a second opinion.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
on re-reading see this is specific to the extra type. as above neck one of each if you really think it makes a difference. caffeine is there to speed the effect.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Read what the actual drug is in them. Companies cannot change the genetic composition of the drug at all. All they can do is add sugar coating, caffeine etc. to make it taste nicer or supposedly work quicker or put it in a capsule or fancy packaging or increase the dosage. The 30p paracetamol from Tesco are no different to the £3 branded ones in Boots.

My Missus is a medical professional and regularly laughs at the price of branded paracetamol and brufen. In our house we have generic.. I actually buy them from Bookers in huge packs and they last us about a year as a family.

As for them disappearing off shelves - maybe the manufacturers of the branded ones have come to a deal with the supermarkets? I wouldn't put it past them....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Plenty of Sainsburys branded ones on the shelves a couple of days in West Hove. I actually brought some.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My Missus is a medical professional and regularly laughs at the price of branded paracetamol and brufen. In our house we have generic..

Recently we had a teenage apprentice at work and he was moaning about how much he'd paid for his pack of Lemsip. Everyone was telling him that supermarket own brand does exactly the same as lemsip but for 1/3 of the price but the lad just wouldn't believe us.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Recently we had a teenage apprentice at work and he was moaning about how much he'd paid for his pack of Lemsip. Everyone was telling him that supermarket own brand does exactly the same as lemsip but for 1/3 of the price but the lad just wouldn't believe us.

If he believes that the expensive one works then perhaps that also helps him get over his cold. In the same way as some people belive alternative medicines work despite most of them being just salt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here