Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] What Is The Most Environmentally Friendly Vehicle?

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
We want to change our 10 year old petrol car for something more environentally friendly. I do realise the most environmentally friendly thing would be not to own a car at all and where I live in London I do mainly cycle. I share the car with my wife and to see our families family in rural Sussex and Essex it's so much easier to drive. We only do about 5,000 miles per year.

I am not sure electric is the answer - what about the environmental impact and rare materials mined for electric batteries? Where does the electricity get generated? Is it renewable? However the carbon emissions from fossil fuel powered vehicles probably make them worse. It's confusing; I don't know much about cars apart from how to drive one!

Anyone know anything or where to start finding information? My biggest concerns are low impact on the environment and reliability. Cheers for any wisdom out there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
overall its probably your 10 yr car, unless its low MPG.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The horse, comfortable and economical, exhaust products can assist in the manufacturing of the fuel required for it.
Low impact on the environment and nice to pat now and again.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Given you do so little mileage hve thought of joining a car club instead of owning a car yourself ?

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Whether a car is economic or not is so much more than fuel cost (or energy) It's a really difficult one to not only quantify, but pick what's best suited to your individual requirements.

We currently have 2 cars, not doing much, Mrs Zef gets the train to work and has a shiny Alfa doing nothing. I have an old Subaru estate (posh van effectively) which isn't really doing much at all these days either, but I do need something that will tow and shift big heavy things from time to time.

For high days and holidays we are use a classic. . . . .

If I was doing 5000 miles a year and just general use I still think a small petrol hatchback is the most economic all rounder. Something 3ish years old with circa 50k miles is still nigh on 'new' virtually free of depreciation, and should be economic to keep/run.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Bike and public transport when in London.
Hire a car for trips to Sussex and Essex.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Bike and public transport when in London.
Hire a car for trips to Sussex and Essex.

guitarist in our band moved back to Laaandan, gave up driving . . . . uses PT and cycles . . . . trouble is, when he steps away from a main line he becomes a burden on the rest of us . . . .may be a good thing for him, but a ****ing pain in the arse for everyone else. Selfish.

hiring a car is a good solution, and not prohibitively expensive.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
The horse, comfortable and economical, exhaust products can assist in the manufacturing of the fuel required for it.
Low impact on the environment and nice to pat now and again.

Yeah, definitely a horse. Plus when the time comes to scrap it you can make burgers out of it. Try doing that with a Prius.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A horse . . . .for one person, is extremely uneconomical.

probably the same amount of glues in a prius as a horse.

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
London? Range Rover - not sure about the eco bit but there must be a reason a fair few people living there can't be without them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here