Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Joker

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Wifey and I are going to see this on Saturday evening, I booked before I realised Eng v Aus rugby game on at the same time, seems the joke is on me. :ffsparr:

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I’m told Mr Gadd will do very well in Royalties from this film..

Appears that copyrights to his music are owned by record companies, so he will not profit.

I saw film last night. Great, if unnerving cinema. I would have preferred it to finish at the scene before last (don't want to say more in case spoilers).

Liked how it tied into the classical Batman back story.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Wifey and I are going to see this on Saturday evening, I booked before I realised Eng v Aus rugby game on at the same time, seems the joke is on me. :ffsparr:

Have you thought about the possibility of giving up, what, 30 dollars and any "goodwill" from the mrs for a week or so?

I mean, it's a pretty big game

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Appears that copyrights to his music are owned by record companies, so he will not profit.

I saw film last night. Great, if unnerving cinema. I would have preferred it to finish at the scene before last (don't want to say more in case spoilers).

Liked how it tied into the classical Batman back story.

Yes. No need at all for the final scene. It adds nothing

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes. No need at all for the final scene. It adds nothing

Well, it doesn't add nothing. It adds ambiguity. We can't really discuss it further without descending into spoiler territory.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Excellent film. I didn't want to go and was expecting a Batman type movie rather than one about mental illness.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I saw it this afternoon and put my review on the Film 2019 thread, but this film is worthy of its own thread for sure. From start to finish, just great, great cinema. Early 80s Gotham is beautifully (and grotesquely) realised with its unremitting grime, it is one hell of a visual spectacle. As for Joaquin Phoenix's performance, well. There have been some stand-out mesmerising, sinister and memorable acting performances that stand up to many, many revisits. Javier Bardem as Anton in No Country For Old Men. Ben Kingsley as the terrifying Don Logan in Sexy Beast. DDL in There Will Be Blood. Even Heath Ledger as the same character in The Dark Knight. But I'm not sure I can recall anything as astonishing as this close-up depiction of a disturbed, damaged individuals gradual descent into complete madness. It felt so real, and so convincing.

This movie is relentlessly grim but at the same time so refreshing from the usual mainstream pap. No reliance on big set pieces, major stunts or CGI. Just a brutally pure in-depth portrayal of a twisted, tortured character abandoned by his family, his society, his city and all humanity. In the end, can he even be blamed for what he becomes ? Its one of those films that stays in your head, and I will certainly be revisiting it again before long. And not just for a second time. Its simply brilliant.

Oh, and the score by Hildur Guðnadóttir (Chernobyl) is perfection. Subtle but menacing, nuanced, beautifully weaved into every scene. At times, it can make your skin crawl.

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Have you thought about the possibility of giving up, what, 30 dollars and any "goodwill" from the mrs for a week or so?

I mean, it's a pretty big game

We have the gold class tickets so a bit pricey.
I will listen on my phone with tiny earphone in one ear and turn the ringer off.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I was wondering this, it seems it's the original Bee Gees song (?????)

I've been doing a bit of detective work. Looked at wiki for a list of cover versions but none of them threw up any results.

I discovered this version by German satirist and TV host Jan Böhmermann who gives a rather mesmerising performance but it's not him...

Then I discovered this live performance by Faith No More whose original single cover I originally thought it strongly resembled. Mystery solved...

https://youtu.be/Xrdf9rOaZhU

https://youtu.be/zWJqstezYuw

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I've been doing a bit of detective work. Looked at wiki for a list of cover versions but none of them threw up any results.

I discovered this version by German satirist and TV host Jan Böhmermann who gives a rather mesmerising performance but it's not him...

Then I discovered this live performance by Faith No More whose original single cover I originally thought it strongly resembled. Mystery solved...

https://youtu.be/Xrdf9rOaZhU

https://youtu.be/zWJqstezYuw

Oh good work! I can now get on with my life:clap:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I thought that was a brilliant, captivating and remarkable performance. For possibly the first time I wanted to applaud at the end of a movie. I'm not a regular cinema goer, nor even watcher of film, but I thought it was just superb

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Amazed that this film got released. It's relentlessly terrible. Cinema for people who like Madame Tussauds and the Rocky Horror Show and think Alain de Botton is thought-provoking. But I guess I know nowt

Would you like to go into detail?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here