Unusual silence when leaving cinema
Anyone else any thoughts?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I put this in the film2019 thread.

Joker
I don't think I liked this. It felt slow and ponderous, without really drawing me in. Ultimately it felt too real to justify the link to the Joker brand. It felt neither extreme, nor cartoonish or comic book-ish to be fitting of the character. And if you try to watch it as simply a coincidence that this character calls himself Joker and distance it from the DC brand/universe, it simply becomes a lesser attempt to evoke taxi driver (and I say that as someone who didn't really connect with taxi driver).

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I also went last night with Mrs. Mahone. I thought it was a stunning piece of cinema, just utterly mesmerising. Joaqin Phoenix gave one of the best acting performances that I have ever seen.

It will stay with me. Superb.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I love the fact that the question that I came out of the cinema last night was, what created the Joker? Was it his mental health in general? Was it through the failure of the state, cutting the funding for his help? or was it society at large, and how mental health is perceived? The fact I walked out of the cinema with so many questions and genuinely difficult questions to answer really shows how touching it can be. The film also really makes you want to like the character, and rather than wanting to see the Joker, I kept on wanting him to do better and to not snap. I thought it was a great movie.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Saw it yesterday Joaquin Phoenix excellent
Generally I thought it was quite disturbing

What a poem!

I loved Joker and I really thought it was a fascinating look at the fine line between between keeping a grip on reality and losing touch completely. He is constantly fighting to keep himself the right side of the line, but as he goes along he gets further and further away from reality and completely lets go. He doesn't intentionally stir up a political movement, that happens around him. He's just one man trying to live his life.

I really thought it was amazing and far more relatable then Joaquin Phoenix intended it to be. He's said that he wanted his character to be totally separate from anyone's real life experiences and has been amazed how many people have said to him that they relate with the character.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I love the fact that the question that I came out of the cinema last night was, what created the Joker? Was it his mental health in general? Was it through the failure of the state, cutting the funding for his help? or was it society at large, and how mental health is perceived? The fact I walked out of the cinema with so many questions and genuinely difficult questions to answer really shows how touching it can be. The film also really makes you want to like the character, and rather than wanting to see the Joker, I kept on wanting him to do better and to not snap. I thought it was a great movie.

Yeah, it's great to come away from a movie, head buzzing with thoughts. Rather than composing a mental list of its faults (I'm talking about you, Ad Astra).

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Saw it yesterday Joaquin Phoenix excellent
Generally I thought it was quite disturbing

It was odd in the screening I went to as some people were shocked by the scenes whilst others laughed. Have to admit I did not know how to react myself at points.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Yep saw it yesterday, thought it was really good and very thought provoking. Not the normal special effects of Batman films, but better for it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Saw it last week. It's a fantastic performance from JP but overall was left a bit disappointed. Too derivative.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not a great movie goer, I thought it was about Bob Monkhouse.
No wonder I was a bit confused for the first 15 minutes.
Still, an extremely thought provoking film, brilliantly acted.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just got back from watching the Joker.
In one word - amazing.
Faultless acting from Mr Phoenix, very dark but great viewing.
Felt bad, for the only one in audience laughing - WGAF :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here