Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lone fans

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Sporting my faded Nike BHAFC hoody I was accosted by an Albion fan from Nantwich on the Aquaduct thingy near Wrexham the morning after the Citeh game. Talked about Connolly and his performances v City and Bristol Rovers. Was it you?

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
Always travel alone from Brighton. Sometimes drive but usually jump on a train or Seagull Travel. Quite happy with my own company but no problem chatting to anyone I sit next to, especially if it’s about the Albion

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
There's something quite nice about lone days by coach!

Next season will be my 14th season of going to games on my own. I can't stand it, and occasionally the loneliness of it makes me so miserable I don't bother going, but getting smashed has usually made it bearable.

Football, especially away trips, more fun with family/friends for sure, but you certainly aren't alone once you get to the ground - keep the faith and keep coming to games.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There's something quite nice about lone days by coach!

Next season will be my 14th season of going to games on my own. I can't stand it, and occasionally the loneliness of it makes me so miserable I don't bother going, but getting smashed has usually made it bearable.

Sometimes I go to aways on my own. I’d say, try going by train. There’s always a churn of people to talk to as there’s more changing trains and moving around in carriages. Tonnes of football chat to randoms, Albion fans or otherwise.

And remember, you’re always likely to make more friends clutching a 4 pack of lager than you are staring at a phone

I’m not positioning myself as the world’s greatest maker of friends by the way, I just don’t remember having a day not talking to anyone on a train whereas I do on a coach .

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Oh yep, and I used to live in the midlands and go by train

I remember most of the trips flew by (well they were generally a lot closer), just by going up to other teams fans and saying stuff for example, like, “so who’s playing well for Lincoln this year?” 90% of groups will have a chat with you for 5-10 mins some much longer and that’s your journey done.

The point I’m making is that even if you are living somewhere miles away, it doesn’t just have to be Albion fans to talk to, it could be anyone. A decent knowledge of all 4 divisions helps.

If you can hold a conversation about rugby, there’s usually people going to those games as well.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Sporting my faded Nike BHAFC hoody I was accosted by an Albion fan from Nantwich on the Aquaduct thingy near Wrexham the morning after the Citeh game. Talked about Connolly and his performances v City and Bristol Rovers. Was it you?

:bigwave: - Hope you made it home OK...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I remember most of the trips flew by just by going up to other teams fans and saying stuff for example, like, “so who’s playing well for Lincoln this year?”

I'm going to try that for the Everton game and just hope some of their fans know a bit about Lincoln.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Sometimes I go to aways on my own. I’d say, try going by train. There’s always a churn of people to talk to as there’s more changing trains and moving around in carriages. Tonnes of football chat to randoms, Albion fans or otherwise.

And remember, you’re always likely to make more friends clutching a 4 pack of lager than you are staring at a phone

I’m not positioning myself as the world’s greatest maker of friends by the way, I just don’t remember having a day not talking to anyone on a train whereas I do on a coach .

Aye. Unfortunately I don't have a personality and look fairly sinister. You're right, though.

In fairness, I had a wonderful time on the train back from Huddersfield last season by combining a bottle of rum, an industrial amount of Setraline and a four-pack of San Miguel :)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Aye. Unfortunately I don't have a personality and look fairly sinister. You're right, though.

In fairness, I had a wonderful time on the train back from Huddersfield last season by combining a bottle of rum, an industrial amount of Setraline and a four-pack of San Miguel :)

And some work on that self-esteem probably wouldn’t hurt either mate!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Will be loner for United away, looking forward to it as no Groovy Gang to organise

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Same. Used to actually prefer it. Easier to get lost in the music.

Me too. But in my case mostly because nobody I know wants to come along to the sort of stuff I like. But you knew that :lolol:

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I've been to quite a few aways on my own, I don't mind. But it's not really through choice, it's only games where my mates/son don't have enough points and they sell out second tier.

So normally palace is on my own, er, Brentford a couple of times. Villa last day of the promotion season for example.

I just hop on a train with a few beers, have a wander around, go where I want. Now I think about it, I quite enjoy it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here