Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] <Dull Thread Alert> DAB car reception AGONY

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Alright?

I got a car a couple of months ago which propelled me into the hear and now with a DAB radio.

It's not bad and means I can now listen to 5live and Talk Sport (I know, I know) the other side of The Downs without it sounding like they're broadcasting from Mars.

However, I've noticed the signal dropping in and out on the A27 between here and Lewes regularly (someone posted about that fairly recently I think?) but this week the reception has been dropping out like England Players before a friendly match. This time - not just on the A27 but all over. That said, I went over the Racehill today and it seemed to spring back to life for a bit

So, before I either dismantle the radio unit, scratch my head for a bit, and then book it into the garage or cut to the chase and just book it straight in - has anyone else noticed terrible DAB reception this week in Brighton especially in the BN2 area?

Cheers

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Alright?

I got a car a couple of months ago which propelled me into the hear and now with a DAB radio.

It's not bad and means I can now listen to 5live and Talk Sport (I know, I know) the other side of The Downs without it sounding like they're broadcasting from Mars.

However, I've noticed the signal dropping in and out on the A27 between here and Lewes regularly (someone posted about that fairly recently I think?) but this week the reception has been dropping out like England Players before a friendly match. This time - not just on the A27 but all over. That said, I went over the Racehill today and it seemed to spring back to life for a bit

So, before I either dismantle the radio unit, scratch my head for a bit, and then book it into the garage or cut to the chase and just book it straight in - has anyone else noticed terrible DAB reception this week in Brighton especially in the BN2 area?

Cheers

Always been awful in East Sussex particularly.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Alright?

Cheers

Really disappointed by the Talk Sport thing but I’ll hold my nerve and respond!

I fitted my own DAB unit and aerial. It loses signal and squeaks like a tortured squirrel in places around the downs; these three areas in particular.

1. A27 between Newmarket Inn & Kingston Roundabout.
2. A23 around Pyecoombe
3. A259 near Friston

Most of the time it works very well and will be fine when they turn the analogue off I hope.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I find it drops for a couple of seconds just on the hill after pyecombe.

When I bought the bmw 5 years ago, I had never had a dab and honestly I don’t use any of the other bands at all.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I think it depends on which transmitters the station has access to. I'm up and down the A24 a lot and BBC stations are all fine, but Virgin and other commercial stations that use another transmitter drop out at the end of Findon Valley and a few other spots on the way to Leatherhead.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Don't come to Northumberland then, DAB wtf is that. It's a joke and to think analogue is being switched off soon.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
Just looked it up, and there are no plans to turn off the analogue signals anytime soon. To happen, there are certain criteria relating to coverage, which have not yet been met.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I fitted my own DAB unit and aerial. It loses signal and squeaks like a tortured squirrel in places around the downs; these three areas in particular.

2. A23 around Pyecoombe
3. A259 near Friston

Most of the time it works very well and will be fine when they turn the analogue off I hope.

Yep no 1 & 2 every time. Think the transmitter area must change around Pyecombe as it cuts out and back in at the exact same spots every time - it’s only about a 10 second gap. The Newmarket Inn bit is just patchy and intermittent for me (and no different between the car I have now and the previous one)

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Always drops off on the A27, roughly around the Newmarket/Petrol Station area...
Was always that way before DAB and is still that way with DAB

I quite like it, because it always reminds me that I’m nearly home.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

2. A23 around Pyecoombe
3. A259 near Friston

Yep. Just before the road bends left on the way out of town. Every time.

Aside from that, there is a small spot of road just before the Medway heading East.

My DAB radio is part of the car (Renault) and it beats the old one I fitted myself into my old Golf for reliability.

Agree with you about Talk Shite, though. Anyone listening to that filth needs to give their whole body a wobble.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Here’s a bit of mad local DAB trivia: no signal between Wilmington Pub and after Tesco local (ex-Snipe pub) on Carden Avenue. Is there a secret bunker or some other nefarious reason?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
A22 through Forest Row is shocking as well. Except for the BBC stations. They're solid as a rock.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here