Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Spiral

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
The rugged French crime series returns tonight at 9pm on BBC4.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Love it! For those of you who like gritty French cop drama check out a film called ‘La Balance’ made in the 1980s.

Never heard of that, thank you. I’ll look into getting a DVD.

Spiral itself has also has intriguing internal politics throughout, from their completely different judicial system - judges, magistrates, prosecutors, defence lawyers .... all politicking and at war with each other. The character Judge Francois Roban is a star.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for the heads up, the previous series have been very good.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not caught this previously, is it something I should jump into now, or should I be trying to find previous series first ideally?
[MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] [MENTION=25353]el punal[/MENTION] [MENTION=17029]Rogero[/MENTION] @%1; [MENTION=22970]Boys 9d[/MENTION]

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not caught this previously, is it something I should jump into now, or should I be trying to find previous series first ideally?
[MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] [MENTION=25353]el punal[/MENTION] [MENTION=17029]Rogero[/MENTION] @%1; [MENTION=22970]Boys 9d[/MENTION]

Ideally, you need to watch the series before ... at least It's worth watching all six series though, it's cracking TV. I think that, as good as The Bridge and The Killing are, it's the best foreign show the BBC has ever bought.

And I can only endorse El P's recommendation of La Balance, it's a fantastic film and has Nathalie Baye in as an added bonus :love:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Ideally, you need to watch the series before ... at least It's worth watching all six series though, it's cracking TV. I think that, as good as The Bridge and The Killing are, it's the best foreign show the BBC has ever bought.

And I can only endorse El P's recommendation of La Balance, it's a fantastic film and has Nathalie Baye in as an added bonus :love:

Thanks. Last French movie(s) I watched was a while back, it was a Gangster flick in two parts, Mesrine, Vincent Cassel in the title role was excellent, really enjoyed those.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

It’s that good I’d go back to the start as long as you can access all the series. I guess you could jump in but you’ll miss the back stories and they could add quite a bit to your enjoyment.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing

I agree with those who said go back as far as you can. I started with Series 3 and was a little lost regarding some of the character links to each other.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree with those who said go back as far as you can. I started with Series 3 and was a little lost regarding some of the character links to each other.

It’s worth going back to Series 1 (but not really critical to later storylines), only because each series was quality in its own right. Some great characters, some gone.

The DVD’s cost peanuts.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Loved all the previous series.

Have found this one so dull and boring.

Previously Roban, Karlsson and other lawyers, had helped make it not just another tough cops chasing baddies show.

Well I’ve enjoyed it and left it nicely setup for next weeks finale....they advertised another series of The Sinner....bbc4’s Saturday nine o’clock slot continues to churn it out

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Well I’ve enjoyed it and left it nicely setup for next weeks finale....they advertised another series of The Sinner....bbc4’s Saturday nine o’clock slot continues to churn it out

Yep, we’ve enjoyed it too. Perhaps it’s not been quite up to previous standards, but still way ahead of most of the current crop of home produced drama series. Am also enjoying Guilty.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Agree about this being one of the best cop dramas ever.

Set in Paris, but not the parts that tourists see; this is set in the grim outskirts and sink-estates full of drug-dealers and criminal gangs.

I don't think this series is quite as good as the previous ones, but it's still much better than 99% of the dross on TV these days - soap operas, Reality TV, celebrity cooking programmes, inane quiz shows, etc.

Oh, another great foreign (subtitled) cop drama started a few days ago; series 2 of The Team, on Channel 4
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-team/on-demand/70522-001

And in case anyone missed it a few years ago, The Tunnel was brilliant to - it was openly inspired by the Danish crime drama The Bridge.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tunnel_(TV_series)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here