Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Shane Duffy fit again and Connolly may start for Ireland (2 pm kickoff)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy has confirmed that Shane Duffy will start their Euro 2020 qualifier against Georgia in Tbilisi on Saturday.

The Brighton centre-half was a major doubt for the game with a calf strain, but has won his race to be fit.

"He's fine, but I wouldn't let him train yesterday," said McCarthy.

"'He said why?' 'because I said so'. He had done three days in a row so it was a recovery day, which he's done, so now he's fine.

"The club [Brighton] have been very good and let him come so I must say thank you to Brighton. He's trained fully this week and is fit to play."

Duffy, 27, has played every minute of the Republic's five Euro 2020 qualifiers and scored a late equaliser in the 1-1 draw away to Denmark.

Given his prominence over the last run of games, McCarthy said it would be 'ridiculous' of him not to play Duffy in Saturday's game.

"It would be kind of ridiculous not to play him considering the way he has been playing," said McCarthy.

"So, if you're looking for one starter, Duffy has been outstanding - so I'd be bonkers to leave him out."

Republic of Ireland defender Shane Duffy has praised Brighton for "doing everything" to get him fit in time to play in the Republic's Euro qualifiers.

Duffy sustained a calf injury last month but will travel to Tbilisi for Saturday's game against Georgia.

"I'm delighted, the club has been brilliant with me and done a lot of work over the last couple of weeks to get me ready," said the 27-year-old.

The Republic also take on top seeds Switzerland in Geneva on Tuesday.

With Richard Keogh injured and Enda Stevens suspended, Republic manager Mick McCarthy could not afford to be without another of his most experienced and trusted defenders.

Duffy was not included in the original squad and spent the early part of this week completing his rehab and training with the Brighton squad.

He joined the Republic squad on Wednesday before Thursday's trip to Georgia.

"The club were great and the manager [Graham Potter] has been great giving me a bit more time to get ready," Duffy told FAI TV.

"I did three days in a row and then had a rest day so I am ready to go.

"It's a huge game and hopefully one we can take advantage of."

Much of the pre-game talk has surrounded potential debutant Aaron Connolly, who was called up to the senior squad following his two-goal display for Brighton against Tottenham Hotspur last week.

However, while admitting to have been impressed by the 19-year-old, McCarthy would not reveal whether or not the winger will take to the pitch on Saturday.

"I did have a concern about James [McClean], who had a stiff back at the beginning of the week, but he's recovered and he's trained as well as he always has.

"I know Aaron can play on the left, and has been devastating for the U21s, but he plays up front in a two for Brighton, so there's an option as well."

Republic captain Seamus Coleman, who scored his only international goal against Georgia in 2016, says he expects a tough test against the team ranked 91st in the world.

As for Connolly, Coleman - who turned 31 on Friday - says he hopes the winger can emulate his club form on the international scene if he gets minutes over the next two games.

"He's been lively and sharp," said Coleman.

"He's a good lad - his two goals in the Premier League is good for Irish football. Hopefully he can make an impact if he plays a part, but he's done well."

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm sure Connolly will start. With Shane Long gone, alternatives are all shit so they will try to use Connollys momentum.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Thought Connolly would be a fair price to score, but 11/2 seems skinny for 1st or last, especially as he not certain to play

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
What an amazing few weeks for Connolly , Potter has made all this possible by his fast tracking methods and the balls of steel to let Locadia and Andone go out on loan , i hope he gets some minutes for the Irish today but please don't break him we need him back and 100% fit , i don't think he will start and those odds are ridiculously short , i'd prefer the 16s on Duffy , he seems to nod one in now and then and he's due for a goal .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just showed his peachy 2nd goal v Spurs as part of the ROI feature

*edit* and then again a couple of minutes later as part of a completely different feature (roundup of the PL so far) :lol:

Last edited:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Live on Sky Sports

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
This starting line up will show whether McCarthy has any 'Tim Flowers style' bottle.

A no-brainer. McClean, a player involved in a diabolical Stoke team/squad rock bottom of the Championship or Aaron Connolly, who last weekend took Spurs apart.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
What an amazing few weeks for Connolly , Potter has made all this possible by his fast tracking methods and the balls of steel to let Locadia and Andone go out on loan , i hope he gets some minutes for the Irish today but please don't break him we need him back and 100% fit , i don't think he will start and those odds are ridiculously short , i'd prefer the 16s on Duffy , he seems to nod one in now and then and he's due for a goal .

What will the score be please XX

UEFA think it's already kicked off!

Screenshot_20191012-131643.png

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Thought Connolly would be a fair price to score, but 11/2 seems skinny for 1st or last, especially as he not certain to play

I’ve had a little nibble on last goal as I think he’ll come on for the last 20 mins or so. Agreed that the odds are a little stingy. Gotta back the boy in form though!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
McLean starts then!

Connolly on bench

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Typical dinosaur manager. Sticking with the players who've done precisely nothing for him for the whole time he's been there

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
McClean was always going to be picked. If Connolly was to play then it would be instead of Collins.

Collins is an experienced FL player (not particularly good - Shane Long is a much better player and for some reason McCarthy is ignoring him) and is in the mould of Murray - the Georgians can play a bit and McCarthy wants someone who can hold the ball up.

Two games in 4 days, expect he'll be a sub today and poss start against Switzerland on Tuesday.
No way Connolly will start against Switzerland - that will see McCarthy batten down the hatches.

Will be surprised if there isn't some kind of feature on the Terrifying Bearded Child-Man on Football Focus in a few mins

Carry on Screaming? I’ve been trying to put my finger on it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here