Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potters second season

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You mean Potter would leave for Spurs? Not happening. Unless he gets fired he will be in Brighton for many years. He wont uproot his family and move again for the third time in three years.
Rather proving yourself to be, at best, a little naive with that missive.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
You mean Potter would leave for Spurs? Not happening. Unless he gets fired he will be in Brighton for many years. He wont uproot his family and move again for the third time in three years.

I think he would.. not saying Spuds would definitely come knocking his door, but surely he would jump,if offered such a leg up. excusing the pun

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think he would.. not saying Spuds would definitely come knocking his door, but surely he would jump,if offered such a leg up. excusing the pun
Of course he would.

Obviously not just Spurs where he wouldn't have to relocate his family, if he didn't want too.
But even if the dumpster fire that is Utd came a knocking he's be off like a ferret up a drainpipe.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Rather proving yourself to be, at best, a little naive with that missive.

Nope. He spoke a lot about it both when joining Swansea and then moving to Brighton. He only left Swansea because of the impossible situation, the club is in ruins economically and the owners dont care and wont invest and lied to him about having some money for players etc.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

We’d like to think so but he said that about Swansea too. Football is fickle, you take the opportunities when they come.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Based on history you could certainly argue Duffy is the most at risk to the no dickhead policy .

I expect he will go if I’m honest

Depending the manner we stay up I don’t think we would see many changes .

A couple of big buys maybe

theboybilly

I........but the way Brighton is playing from now on, you really need to be a great passer or at least have the technical ability/pace to carry the ball a bit and survive the pressure from the opponents (plenty of teams will try to punish the Potterball build up)

The first time I really noticed Albion passing it around a lot at the back (almost a kickabout in our penalty area at times) was at the Etihad in Augaust. It was hairy at times but it showed a new confidence amongst our defenders and midfield that seemed lacking previously. City, great as they are, couldn't shake that confidence and Albion looked comfortable with the ball. Of course City being City, they found other ways to hurt us. It was great to watch though and you could therefore understand the praise given to us by Pep Guardiola

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Based on history you could certainly argue Duffy is the most at risk to the no dickhead policy .

I expect he will go if I’m honest

Depending the manner we stay up I don’t think we would see many changes .

A couple of big buys maybe

You think Duffy is a dickhead? Don't know him personally (KP aside) not heard anything about him being like that or any more pretentious than your normal PL footballer.

Can see him going because he doesn't fit the GP style as said.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Way too early to say for most teams facing us we are now an unknown. We will learn much more second half of the season when potters methods have bedded in and other teams have a better grip on how we setup and approach games

His team selection seems to be based on the opposition and is unpredictable to say the least! With CH we saw few changes in style and team set-up from week to week. With GP, we could see 6 or 7 changes each week and think it will be very difficult for other teams to predict his selection/tactics.

Loving every minute of this season.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Regarding Duffy I think you may well be right. I feel that we have moved on from the do or die, last ditch defending that has been so prominent over the last two seasons. This, of course, was Duffy’s forte and he was superb at it. Potter, in my view, is choosing more skilful footballers to play his game - Duffer unfortunately is not one of them.

With a heavy heart, I agree about Shane. A sort of Andrew Whing realisation.

LVGull

May 13, 2016

If Man U or Spurs came knocking we will be gone like a shot.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
His team selection seems to be based on the opposition and is unpredictable to say the least! With CH we saw few changes in style and team set-up from week to week. With GP, we could see 6 or 7 changes each week and think it will be very difficult for other teams to predict his selection/tactics.

Loving every minute of this season.
2 weeks to prepare for Villa, I have no idea how Potter is going to play it.

As you almost say - loving most minutes!!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I see Brighton moving towards the Ajax model, any silly offers for our players and they will be sold, with their replacements already at the club and ready to step up from the u23's. Signings will still be made in cases where we dont have the replacement ready to step up but they will be young hungry players from the championship and other European leagues as we are already doing.

This is more club policy than anything to do with Potter although i think it is a huge part of why he is here, same with Dan Ashworth. Throwing big fees and huge wages is a road to ruin as we know better than most.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Still a lot of football to be played this season i know, but given its the international doldrums lets have a think on some questions.

If we were to say up how do you expect Potter to hit the transfer market?

What key areas do you expect to be heavily invested in, or will he promote more youth?

Would the first season be the foundation for Potters idea's to really blossom and develop?

Given the distance and direction he's already taken the team in such a short time, the thoughts are mouth-watering!

On a side note i don't expect Duffy to be here next season.

Aren't we linked with a Preston defender Davies I believe for around 10m. Must be a Potter choice if true

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Goalkeeper: I think Ryan is great and he seems to be adapting to the fact he will use his feet more than his hands in Potters system. Pretty sure he will the starting goalkeeper next season as well. Other than that, I think we'll see some changes among the backups.

Defenders: I think the regular starters will be here next year as well though I expect Potter to look for a replacement for Burns in the starting eleven. Fairly certain there will be a bit of changes to the wing back position.

Midfield: I think Pröpper and/or Gross will be sacrificed in order to bring in more pace. And unless Bissouma steps up someone needs to brought in to cover for Dale Stephens. I could see this happening already in January since a long term injury on Stephens would be a relegation threat at the moment.

Attack: Potter has ALWAYS been very keen on having a tall, strong striker with good link up play and that will be the huge investment of the summer, with Maupay converted to more of a winger and Murray no longer considered an alternative for the starting eleven (think he will stay as a supersub though).

Not followed Brighton U21 enough to know who could take a place in the team next season but I expect one, two or three players getting promoted to the senior squad every season from now on.

Bissouma isn't a defensive midfielder so it's not relevant to compare him wit h stephens. whilst speed is a good asset, it's not essential. Both gross and proper have and do a good job for us. They are both doing better under potter, so I don't think there.s any need to worry there either. Wing backs maybe somewhere he'll look to strengthen although March and Montoya are doing a decent job but could do with some competition. Maybe Bernado will do that on the left.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Still a lot of football to be played this season i know, but given its the international doldrums lets have a think on some questions.

If we were to say up how do you expect Potter to hit the transfer market?

I doubt he’ll ‘hit’ the transfer market at all. The recruitment team will scour the planet for cheap options (maybe some that can get a work permit even), when they’ve decided on who they’ll sign, much like they did for CH, they’ll give Potter the option to say yay or nay.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think ....

Potter will still be here and we'll stay up.

We'll move on about 15 senior pros. .... Propper, Murray, Schelotto, Ali J, Bong, Izquierdo, Bernardo, Bissouma, Duffy, Balogun, Button, Steele and the 3 out on loan

Mooy will sign.
We'll sign a keeper and sell Walton. Promote Sanchez to 3rd keeper.
We'll sign full backs on both sides
Molumby will come into the squad, maybe Longman
We'll sell Gyokeres, Dreyer, Ostigard and Baluta ... all for unbdisclosed, but modest fees
Potter will think we have enough central defensive and midfield cover with White and the young players coming through.
We'll get Tau and MacAllister into the country and they will both do ok but not amazing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here