Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potters second season

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Still a lot of football to be played this season i know, but given its the international doldrums lets have a think on some questions.

If we were to say up how do you expect Potter to hit the transfer market?

What key areas do you expect to be heavily invested in, or will he promote more youth?

Would the first season be the foundation for Potters idea's to really blossom and develop?

Given the distance and direction he's already taken the team in such a short time, the thoughts are mouth-watering!

On a side note i don't expect Duffy to be here next season.

Last edited:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Consummate professional, but would love to hear some of his end of the day pillow talk with his wife in recent months (not the smut) re: Andone, Locadia, Knockeart et al.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I’d be surprised if there was any “heavy” investment all all. The model appears to be bringing on youngsters and developing the developable pros he already has in the squad. From a first team squad perspective - more out than in.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Way too early to say for most teams facing us we are now an unknown. We will learn much more second half of the season when potters methods have bedded in and other teams have a better grip on how we setup and approach games

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Goalkeeper: I think Ryan is great and he seems to be adapting to the fact he will use his feet more than his hands in Potters system. Pretty sure he will the starting goalkeeper next season as well. Other than that, I think we'll see some changes among the backups.

Defenders: I think the regular starters will be here next year as well though I expect Potter to look for a replacement for Burns in the starting eleven. Fairly certain there will be a bit of changes to the wing back position.

Midfield: I think Pröpper and/or Gross will be sacrificed in order to bring in more pace. And unless Bissouma steps up someone needs to brought in to cover for Dale Stephens. I could see this happening already in January since a long term injury on Stephens would be a relegation threat at the moment.

Attack: Potter has ALWAYS been very keen on having a tall, strong striker with good link up play and that will be the huge investment of the summer, with Maupay converted to more of a winger and Murray no longer considered an alternative for the starting eleven (think he will stay as a supersub though).

Not followed Brighton U21 enough to know who could take a place in the team next season but I expect one, two or three players getting promoted to the senior squad every season from now on.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
He gives me the impression, that he suffers no fools and will take no shit, whoever they may be.
His second season will be interesting to watch, given how he's transformed our way of playing.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Goalkeeper: I think Ryan is great and he seems to be adapting to the fact he will use his feet more than his hands in Potters system. Pretty sure he will the starting goalkeeper next season as well. Other than that, I think we'll see some changes among the backups.

Defenders: I think the regular starters will be here next year as well though I expect Potter to look for a replacement for Burns in the starting eleven. Fairly certain there will be a bit of changes to the wing back position.

Midfield: I think Pröpper and/or Gross will be sacrificed in order to bring in more pace. And unless Bissouma steps up someone needs to brought in to cover for Dale Stephens. I could see this happening already in January since a long term injury on Stephens would be a relegation threat at the moment.

Attack: Potter has ALWAYS been very keen on having a tall, strong striker with good link up play and that will be the huge investment of the summer, with Maupay converted to more of a winger and Murray no longer considered an alternative for the starting eleven (think he will stay as a supersub though).

Not followed Brighton U21 enough to know who could take a place in the team next season but I expect one, two or three players getting promoted to the senior squad every season from now on.

Interesting observations Swansman. One thing, why does the CF need to be tall? MC are showing with a passing game size doesn't matter, arguably Potters style is closer to that.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Ben White will surely be starting for us next year, he could probably be starting right now if he wasn't at Leeds.

Alzate seems like Stephens main cover at the moment. Can expect March and Propper to take most of his appearances when they are fit again. Would be foolish to sacrifice Gross but we know Ajax like Propper and maybe next summer he will leave

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

White can come into the back 3, Baluta and Molumby essentially play the Stephens role. We have Walton out on loan in the Champ, if he isn’t promoted to the first team as a backup goalie next season surely it’s time to sell on.

Main squad gaps seem to me to be full backs and another striker (maybe Gyokeres can keep scoring in Germany and he will be able to fill this role). And remembering of course we may have Tau and Mac Allister to come in too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is it too early to say that it's too early to say?

I think it's too early to say.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting observations Swansman. One thing, why does the CF need to be tall? MC are showing with a passing game size doesn't matter, arguably Potters style is closer to that.

I'm not quite sure why, but I know Potter always - without exceptions - has been very keen on having that type of player up front along with two pacy wingers. I guess he thinks a strong forward creates space for other players, is very useful in crossing situations and is a great way to lock the ball on the opponent half for a few seconds while the rest of team moves up.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Still a lot of football to be played this season i know, but given its the international doldrums lets have a think on some questions.

What key areas do you expect to be heavily invested in, or will he promote more youth?

Would the first season be the foundation for Potters idea's to really blossom and develop?

Given the distance and direction he's already taken the team in such a short time, the thoughts are mouth-watering!

I was thinking the same Duffy aint gonna be here next season. Passing the ball around at the back with Duffy would lead to many mistakes. Shame as a traditional defender blocking, tacking, heading away, and chipping in with goals he has been amazing for us. I highly rate him in all those abilities but passing and quick football brain aint something he is blessed with.

el punal

Regarding Duffy I think you may well be right. I feel that we have moved on from the do or die, last ditch defending that has been so prominent over the last two seasons. This, of course, was Duffy’s forte and he was superb at it. Potter, in my view, is choosing more skilful footballers to play his game - Duffer unfortunately is not one of them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Regarding Duffy I think you may well be right. I feel that we have moved on from the do or die, last ditch defending that has been so prominent over the last two seasons. This, of course, was Duffy’s forte and he was superb at it. Potter, in my view, is choosing more skilful footballers to play his game - Duffer unfortunately is not one of them.

I think Duffy will be off, yes. From the little I've seen him, he is an excellent defender but the way Brighton is playing from now on, you really need to be a great passer or at least have the technical ability/pace to carry the ball a bit and survive the pressure from the opponents (plenty of teams will try to punish the Potterball build up).

If Duffy is able to adapt to this, he might have a future. I mean, I havent seen Dan Burn a lot before this season, but I'm guessing not many managers saw him as the Lucio type, and he has adapted well to his extended tasks. Duffy could develop. Its only in Football Manager you stop improving as a player and human once you turn 25.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why should I care what players Spurs will bring in, next season?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why should I care what players Spurs will bring in, next season?

You mean Potter would leave for Spurs? Not happening. Unless he gets fired he will be in Brighton for many years. He wont uproot his family and move again for the third time in three years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here