Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Strawbs

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Just got back to moon drenched Alnwick ... yet I remain cleaved in Twain ...

By the brilliance of Dave Cousins and Dave Lambert et al.

Genius does no justice.

Forgive me Lord, we hang him in thy name.

Kosh

Just got back to moon drenched Alnwick ... yet I remain cleaved in Twain ...

By the brilliance of Dave Cousins and Dave Lambert et al.

Genius does no justice.

Forgive me Lord, we hang him in thy name.

Kosh

...I expect you felt like a lay down when you got home...

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Underrated never seen them live but would like to. Got the Bursting at the seams album. They are a very talented band.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Gotta be unhappy with the actual content of this thread.

b9ba36ccd60504cb6d12f6027e15d09da71402ae.jpg

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
As others have concurred, they are a hugely underrated band unfairly remembered for the folk-pop of Part of the Union... not played unsurprisingly. Full house for them last night - which was very pleasing.

Their early to mid 70s period is stunning, with breathtaking musicality and dreamy lyrics of wispy yore to the fore.

Last night was a brilliant journey. We took my brother (huge Radiohead fan) and his wife, to the show... they were blown away by the performance... Dave Cousins remains a rare genius, who gets so little credit for his work it begs belief. Dave Lambert and Chas Cronk too deserve plaudits for sharing in and adding to DCs vision.

Cunning Stunts indeed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Amazing to think that they had the late, great Sandy Denny on board c.1967 - when she wrote and performed ‘Who Knows Where The Time Goes’. :bowdown:

I liked them in the early days when they were just a three piece (no drums or keyboards). They gave quite a lot of performances on Peel's show in that format - saw them live too; very good. Disappointed that when they came to record some of those early songs, they added drums and keyboards - lost a lot of the power, IMHO.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
...On the strength of this thread I am now listening to them on Spotify - second track in on "The Ferryman's Curse" - deep lyrics, good stuff.

It’s a pretty strong album considering it was recorded post Dave Cousins being seriously ill a couple of years ago. It stands up well when compared to their peak era stuff and although offering nothing new as such, it is a genuine return to form... they played a couple of later period tracks last night and both were well received and are very strong compositions...

If you delve into the early 70s period start with “witchwood...” it’s a dark folk masterpiece and features the work of Rick Wakeman no less in his first band, prior to joining Yes, and becoming a Prog rock God.

If you like Ferryman... i’m sure you’ll love the stuff recorded in their heyday :)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Amazing to think that they had the late, great Sandy Denny on board c.1967 - when she wrote and performed ‘Who Knows Where The Time Goes’. :bowdown:

My god that was a great song.

I saw the Strawbs at The Dome in Spring 1973.TBH (and in the fear of being lynched) I thought they were pretty pretentious. But they weren't alone in this at that time!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Privileged to hear and see Richard Thompson perform it live in St Mary's Church at Rye a month or so back. He acknowledged that there was really only one voice who should sing it.
Knows a thing or two, that Thompson feller! damn fine songwriter himself.

Saw Fairport shortly after Sandy Denny joined them. Sadly at 50 years distance I can't positively remember if they played that song; I expect they did though - that's good enough for me - it has to be!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here