Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 'Team Of The Eighties'...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I see Palace have a film coming out celebrating this, err, era-defining team.

Their record against the Albion in the 1980s?

P14 W3 D2 L9

Great times. Apart from Kelvin Morton's five-penalty fiasco, obviously.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I see Palace have a film coming out celebrating this, err, era-defining team.

Their record against the Albion in the 1980s?

P14 W3 D2 L9

Great times. Apart from Kelvin Morton's five-penalty fiasco, obviously.

We were also billed 'team of the 80s' for five minutes so I recall.

I was a Daily Mirror reader back then, to be fair. Probly read it while on the shitter.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I remember one newspaper after our opening day win against Ipswich in August 82 describing us as Brazilliant, that went well :lol:, relegated by the end of that season, still, we did get to Wembley and following our relegation we would once again be crossing swords with that team of the 80's who were already waiting for us in division 2.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I remember one newspaper after our opening day win against Ipswich in August 82 describing us as Brazilliant, that went well :lol:, relegated by the end of that season, still, we did get to Wembley and following our relegation we would once again be crossing swords with that team of the 80's who were already waiting for us in division 2.

The 1-1 draw you mean

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

Reference to Ipswich’s Alan Brazil?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I understand Lenny Henry accepted the role of Vince Hilaire

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Where would they film it? I suppose if they spent a lot of money doing up the Stade de Clad it could look like an 80’s football stadium.
Some park pitch.

It will be a very short film.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
A great time to be a Palace fan.
Venables brought through a lot of the youth team, who had won the youth cup 2 years on the trot, and for a brief time, we were unstoppable.
Then Venables ****ed off to QPR, took half the team with him, and that was that.
Truely brilliant football .

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Venables brought through a lot of the youth team, who had won the youth cup 2 years on the trot, and for a brief time, we were unstoppable.
Then Venables ****ed off to QPR, took half the team with him, and that was that.

You make it sound as if Palace were going well when Venables left and that his departure was the reason for the team's decline, but that's not true, is it? Palace were top of the old first division for about a week in autumn 1979, but the rot had set in long before Venables jumped ship. They actually finished 13th in 1979-80, and were already bottom of the table when he departed in October 1980.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
You make it sound as if Palace were going well when Venables left and that his departure was the reason for the team's decline, but that's not true, is it? Palace were top of the old first division for about a week in autumn 1979, but the rot had set in long before Venables jumped ship. They actually finished 13th in 1979-80, and were already bottom of the table when he departed in October 1980.

Venables lost interest a long time before he went, and players were lined up to join him in his next adventure.
Left a lot of Palace fans with a bad taste in their mouths, that wasn’t helped when he pulled down Goldbergs pants years later.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

It was potterball esk .

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Didn’t you comfortably survive the first season and get relegated the second season?

I did t get the Team of the 80’s tag then and still don’t.

Other than Sansom did any of the team achieve anything?

Hilaire was good but in reality his career went nowhere.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here