Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Coventry City's new third kit - 40 years of Two-Tone.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Remember the Dundee one, c 1979
The kits in the late 70s were the best ever.
Also stunning kits were orient & Birmingham
Would love to see some of these old retro kits brought back

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The kits in the late 70s were the best ever.
Also stunning kits were orient & Birmingham
Would love to see some of these old retro kits brought back

I agree to some degree but be careful what you wish for. You can't be retro selective. If you get this era revisited you have to accept other eras being revisited as well. No pictures required. We all know the shite.

Remember the Dundee one, c 1979
A surprising amount of orange in that!

Screenshot_20191013-133339.png

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Read only yesterday, that ghost town was inspired by Glasgow. I actually thought it was Wolverhampton

It’s just about the shit state of UK inner cities in general, at the time. Dammers has mentioned Liverpool, Glasgow and Coventry as inspiration. The club referred to is definitely Coventry.

Terry Hall has said, "When we recorded 'Ghost Town', we were talking about riots in Bristol and Brixton."

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Coventry were the first team to have a kit sponsorship deal in the football league when Jimmy Hill, then Chairman of the club, negotiated a deal with Talbot, who manufactured cars in the city.

At one point they even considered going one step further and renaming themselves Coventry Talbot.

In those days it was also forbidden to display shirt sponsors in televised matches so all teams had to have alternative plain "tv kits".

I think this kit was a bit of a sponsorship overkill...

8959d2c4d5af584c2e5b2071419d2444.jpg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As a random aside, I played played a gig with Pauline Black (The Selector) and some of the chaps from Bad Manners once and they were all ********s. Really quite sad :down:

I have heard this about Bad Manners, when they played at Ropetackele in Shoreham a friend and staff member said they were the worst people they'd ever had at the venue.

I'm surprised to hear that about Pauline Black though.

Sad indeed . . . . nearly all musicians I've encountered over the years have been decent people.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I have heard this about Bad Manners, when they played at Ropetackele in Shoreham a friend and staff member said they were the worst people they'd ever had at the venue.

I'm surprised to hear that about Pauline Black though.

Sad indeed . . . . nearly all musicians I've encountered over the years have been decent people.

I thought she came over well on last night's BBC 4 documentary about skinheads, available on iplayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07yv0qj

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here