Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should England players walk off if racist chants kick off in these next two matches?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If racist fans kick off with abuse, should the England team walk off, or wait for the ref. to call them off? Or just play on regardless?

(Surprised this topic doesn't seem to have come up earlier - mega apologies if fixtures. Poll to follow (if I can!))

Edit: Sorry about the 'R' in England - it's only one key away!

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry - the poll seems to be a lost cause! Anyway, my options would be:

1). Walk off on Saturday, but apologise profusely to UEFA and play like good little boys against Bulgaria;
2). Walk off anyway and f*** UEFA;
3). Only walk off if the ref. pills the teams off;
4). Play on regardless, rely on UEFA to take positive action; :)facepalm:)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'd say yes, but with the provisio that the culprits are tracked down and banned for life. Zero tolerance should be the way forward as fines and playing the odd match behind closed doors is obviously not working.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
In principle, absolutely. Things need to change and UEFA’s three step protocol seems massively inefficient in cases like Bulgaria whereby fans have already largely been banned for racism.

That said, if we do it creates a massive problem for and embarrasses UEFA in that they will have lost control with a team taking things into their own hands. If we’re seriously contemplating doing it then I’d want to make sure we had evidence of the offence(s), even if that means placing our own mics around the perimeter of the pitch.

You’d imagine that there’d be far too much pressure on UEFA for them to punish England in the event the players felt they had to walk off, but footballing governing bodies are hardly bastions of morality, are they?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes. if England walks off its big news. i know we like to rile against biases against us, but we are a big deal.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Also in principle, yes.

But UEFA would punish England, possibly severely, for example by forfeiting points.

The racists in places like Italy and Bulgaria will walk away scot free, no way are the Bulgarian police going to target a few 100 fans and see it through to criminal convictions. The Bulgarian FA will get a €20,000 suspended fine.

So a principled stand could possibly see all England fans and supporters deprived of a place in a tournament finals, whilst the racists laugh.

We need to somehow get a consensus with other FA’s such as Germany and Holland, to collectively up the ante.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Not sure there will be racism from the Czechs but who knows. I am tempted to leave Zizkov and go into centre tomorrow night though. Was unable to get ticket but big screens in old town square

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry - the poll seems to be a lost cause! Anyway, my options would be:

1). Walk off on Saturday, but apologise profusely to UEFA and play like good little boys against Bulgaria;
2). Walk off anyway and f*** UEFA;
3). Only walk off if the ref. pills the teams off;
4). Play on regardless, rely on UEFA to take positive action; :)facepalm:)

I see a slight drawback with option one....the players hopefully left the pitch at full time Friday night. Still if u walk off in protest a day late keeps everyone happy

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yes and sod uefa, fifa and the rest who won’t support the stance until all countries follow suit. If teams walk off consistently they will HAVE to take serious action.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It's up to the players. I'd support whatever they choose to do.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Also in principle, yes.

But UEFA would punish England, possibly severely, for example by forfeiting points.

The racists in places like Italy and Bulgaria will walk away scot free, no way are the Bulgarian police going to target a few 100 fans and see it through to criminal convictions. The Bulgarian FA will get a €20,000 suspended fine.

So a principled stand could possibly see all England fans and supporters deprived of a place in a tournament finals, whilst the racists laugh.

We need to somehow get a consensus with other FA’s such as Germany and Holland, to collectively up the ante.

Maybe we could join some sort of pan European organization, and be leaders in it, attending meetings and putting forward candidates for committee chairs, and engaging actively with our European colleagues.

Oh.

Edit...nah, let's just flounce and leave.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Yes. And I don’t think UEFA would want to take on the ****storm of docking the points off England, would likely get replayed behind closed doors or some such fudge.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe we could join some sort of pan European organization, and be leaders in it, attending meetings and putting forward candidates for committee chairs, and engaging actively with our European colleagues.
Yes, and the Eastern European countries and Italy could join us in the fight against racism too ................ hmmm.

No, f*** UEFA I say.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, and the Eastern European countries and Italy could join us in the fight against racism too ................ hmmm.

No, f*** UEFA I say.

I take it you are a Uefaexit man, then ? ???

Home championships, bring them on? Big fish in a small pond?

Mmmmmmm.....nah.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I take it you are a Uefaexit man, then ? ???

Home championships, bring them on? Big fish in a small pond?

Mmmmmmm.....nah.
Huge marketing opportunities in the Asian Football Confederation and Concacaf. The world's our lobster.

AND we can win the Home Internationals every year!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Huge marketing opportunities in the Asian Football Confederation and Concacaf. The world's our lobster.

AND we can win the Home Internationals every year!

You appear to have limited horizons and a lack of ambition. We are better than that ???

Anyway, enough joshing. I hope you're in fine fettle and relaxing before we resume our quest to take the PL by storm. :thumbsup:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
If racist fans kick off with abuse, should the England team walk off, or wait for the ref. to call them off? Or just play on regardless?

(Surprised this topic doesn't seem to have come up earlier - mega apologies if fixtures. Poll to follow (if I can!))

Edit: Sorry about the 'R' in England - it's only one key away!

Yes, Engerland should absolutely walk off. What can UEFA do about it after Brexit it any way?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here