Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Green energy: Brighton put Ireland back on Premier League map

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Following on from Connolly on Saturday, here's a link to an Irish Times article below I just spotted on our development system, the Irish lads in it and which gives high praise to the club:

As a club, their approach is slightly different to most in that they are – I know it’s a bit of a cliche – but that bit more holistic. They seem to appreciate that not all of the lads are going to go on to be professional footballers, and the things they offer in terms of education and supports tend to be that much more serious.

They also look after the Irish lads particularly well. A lot of the clubs think that because they speak the same language and are only an hour from home on a plane, they are the same as the English lads, but at Brighton, they seem to recognise the cultural difference and go out of their way to help the lads settle.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/so...-ireland-back-on-premier-league-map-1.4046795

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Nice story - but there are other clubs that have more Irish players - and where the Irish players are making more of an impact - Man City for example - where 17 year-old Gavin Bazunu and 19 Year-old Tyreke Wilson (who has already made his debut for City) have been brought into the first team squad at different times - on top of 4 other kids who are staring for City's academy squad. I have seen Bazunu playing in the League of Ireland as a 16 year-old and he has some serious potential as a goalkeeper.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Nice story - but there are other clubs that have more Irish players - and where the Irish players are making more of an impact - Man City for example - where 17 year-old Gavin Bazunu and 19 Year-old Tyreke Wilson (who has already made his debut for City) have been brought into the first team squad at different times - on top of 4 other kids who are staring for City's academy squad. I have seen Bazunu playing in the League of Ireland as a 16 year-old and he has some serious potential as a goalkeeper.

The author has CLEARLY got this bit wrong, though:-

Frustration that all the time, money and effort put into the underage structures hadn’t resulted in more first-team football for home-grown talent may well have contributed to Chris Hughton’s departure at the end of last season. New head coach Graham Potter, the club’s technical director, Dan Ashcroft, suggested on BT Sport last weekend, is regarded as being more in tune with the “long-term vision” for the club set out by Bloom and the rest of the board.

I hope you've already e-mailed Mr Malone, with your evidence of Chris Hughton once selecting a youngster at Norwich, so that he can correct his article.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Following on from Connolly on Saturday, here's a link to an Irish Times article below I just spotted on our development system, the Irish lads in it and which gives high praise to the club:

As a club, their approach is slightly different to most in that they are – I know it’s a bit of a cliche – but that bit more holistic. They seem to appreciate that not all of the lads are going to go on to be professional footballers, and the things they offer in terms of education and supports tend to be that much more serious.

They also look after the Irish lads particularly well. A lot of the clubs think that because they speak the same language and are only an hour from home on a plane, they are the same as the English lads, but at Brighton, they seem to recognise the cultural difference and go out of their way to help the lads settle.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/so...-ireland-back-on-premier-league-map-1.4046795

Thanks for posting - had never heard of Evan Ferguson so good to get the heads up that he will be joining the academy in due course. :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good article, but is it just me, or does this brief extract sound just the teeniest bit worrying, in a sort of Crewe Alexandra way?

".....a well-known figure around the Irish schoolboy game, is also understood to be actively pursuing another handful of Irish teenagers."

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Thanks for posting - had never heard of Evan Ferguson so good to get the heads up that he will be joining the academy in due course. :thumbsup:

There's a video interview on the other thread with Aaron Connolly where he mentions Evan Ferguson, sounded to me as though he is already there. Maybe just outside schoolterm? As he is only 15, or would the club have moved him over and re-schooled him or paying for private tuition?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Kids starting for City's academy are making more of an impact than Connolly? Bore off.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

You're slacking AZ.

This post was HOURS ago. I would have expected you to have filled us in on his background, youth record, schooling and family pets by now!

Chop chop

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Making more of an impact, utter tosh. They are currently doing the same as us and we have arguably made more of an impact as currently we have one our prospects in the Irish first team and with other players coming through an easier route to the first team.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

This post is seriously bizarre.

Wilson and Bazunu are prospects that have not graduated beyond a few training sessions with the City first team. Neither have had a senior loan spell, and neither have made a senior appearance.

They are the Irish players at City, 'making more of an impact' than Shane Duffy (arguably Ireland's most important first team player, and Brighton's current player of the year), Aaron Connolly (6 PL appearances, 2 goals on first PL start, and fast-tracked to the Republic senior squad), Jayson Molumby (racking up senior first-team appearances in the Championship and captain of the Ireland U21s)?
Clown

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nice story - but there are other clubs that have more Irish players - and where the Irish players are making more of an impact
The article isn't about a numbers competition. City have more up and coming players than we do - who'd 'a thought it.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Do we make the top 5 though?
If it is a bit more complicated than that and you need more time to do a sweep round for current form and fitness, just let us know.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I hope you've already e-mailed Mr Malone, with your evidence of Chris Hughton once selecting a youngster at Norwich, so that he can correct his article.
Maybe you could point out which of the 'youngsters' at Brighton last season were good enough to play in the PL?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Maybe you could point out which of the 'youngsters' at Brighton last season were good enough to play in the PL?

Well. by definition, it is impossible to know, isn't it? How is it, we know that Aaron Connolly is good enough to be involved now?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Wilson and Bazunu are prospects that have not graduated beyond a few training sessions with the City first team. Neither have had a senior loan spell, and neither have made a senior appearance.
Wilson is 19 and Bazunu is 17 - and they are both at Man City where it is a little more difficult to make the break-though into the first team than it is at Brighton.

They are the Irish players at City, 'making more of an impact' than Shane Duffy (arguably Ireland's most important first team player, and Brighton's current player of the year), Aaron Connolly (6 PL appearances, 2 goals on first PL start, and fast-tracked to the Republic senior squad), Jayson Molumby (racking up senior first-team appearances in the Championship and captain of the Ireland U21s)?
Clown
The article was about underage players - Duffy is hardly an underage player (and the most important player on the Irish team is Seamus Coleman) - would Connolly be in the Man City first team today if here were there (ahead of Aguero, Sterling, Jesus or Leroy Sane?). Of the players list by the article at Brighton and those I listed as being part of the Man City underage set-up I will happily wager a bet that Gavin Bazunu will be the most high profile within five years.On top of that Stephen Kenny (Ireland's U21 manager) has been raving about Joe Hodge for months and England have been trying to poach CJ Egan-Riley for the past year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here