Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Extinction Rebellion protester grounds plane at London City...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bit torn on this is one.

One side of me says, FFS I've got a business meeting on Dublin, who is this t*sser ruining my day?

The other says, you know what, this guy is doing what I would never be prepared to do. He's getting a criminal record to highlight the desperate state of our climate, there's nothing in it for him at all. We all need to wake up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQiTHRrJKAE

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I support all this personally - but I was expecting it to get an almost universally negative response.

But actually...not so much (though obviously some) - suprising how much support, or at last understanding, there is now (outside the tabloid press and the hard-core right wing).

That Johnathon Pie thing (tired as it is) summing it up beautifully.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I suppose whether your in favour of it or not depends on the relative importance you place your business trip to Ireland which might win you a few brownie points with the boss and the possibility of life continuing on earth.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I support all this personally - but I was expecting it to get an almost universally negative response.

But actually...not so much (though obviously some) - suprising how much support, or at last understanding, there is now (outside the tabloid press and the hard-core right wing).

I personally wouldn't condone ER taking actions that put people's lives in danger.

But delaying a flight full of business people going to Dublin for an hour or so to get publicity for a desperate cause is good work.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
[tweet]1182081931804119040[/tweet]

Interesting Andrew Neil 'Extinction Rebellion' interview.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Who do these ******** think they are? Don't they realise that people WANT to live on a dying planet breathing pollution and dying early? Who even needs water anyway?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Protest in towns and cities, fair enough. Gain as much attention to the cause as possible - also fair enough.

Disrupting a relatively small number of people intending to fly is the behaviour of an utter selfish wanker. It's not for me, this bloke. No better than people who flew drones in order to stop people flying to or from Gatwick. They don't have the right to disrupt people's lives.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Protest in towns and cities, fair enough. Gain as much attention to the cause as possible - also fair enough.

Disrupting a relatively small number of people intending to fly is the behaviour of an utter selfish wanker. It's not for me, this bloke. No better than people who flew drones in order to stop people flying to or from Gatwick. They don't have the right to disrupt people's lives.

One could argue that governments and corporations etc etc don't have the right to f**k our planet in the arse with a barbed wire dildo, no lube and nary a cuddle after.

As for this particular act of protest :shrug: every little helps (the irony of using the slogan of a big corporation isn't lost on me)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
One could argue that governments and corporations etc etc don't have the right to f**k our planet in the arse with a barbed wire dildo, no lube and nary a cuddle after.

As for this particular act of protest :shrug: every little helps (the irony of using the slogan of a big corporation isn't lost on me)

What good did he do on the plane this morning? None. It was the act of a selfish wanker. Who wants to be delayed on a plane by a preacher? The flight is happening regardless, he's offering nothing.

I understand what they're protesting about and why, and obviously climate change is THE single most important thing to address (rather than Rooney's wife vs Vardy's wife) - but one prat on a plane isn't the way. It gets publicity, but not sympathetic publicity. March through London, fine. Give public interviews to educate the electorate to elect people with appropriate views on how to combat climate change, etc. But gluing yourself to a train? Standing up and refusing to leave a plan? Piss off.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Why selfish, more like selfless, he ain't getting paid and is making a personal sacrifice to expose a threat to mankind. Can't really compare with the drones at Gatwick that effected over 100,000 people causing 100's of flights to be cancelled. that's just a little silly.

You could argue flying is a privilege of rich westerners, not a right...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
What good did he do on the plane this morning? None. It was the act of a selfish wanker. Who wants to be delayed on a plane by a preacher? The flight is happening regardless, he's offering nothing.

I understand what they're protesting about and why, and obviously climate change is THE single most important thing to address (rather than Rooney's wife vs Vardy's wife) - but one prat on a plane isn't the way. It gets publicity, but not sympathetic publicity. March through London, fine. Give public interviews to educate the electorate to elect people with appropriate views on how to combat climate change, etc. But gluing yourself to a train? Standing up and refusing to leave a plan? Piss off.

It's that.

Sympathetic or not, we're talking about it and so are the newspapers.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

I'd have thought someone with your Profile Name would have wanted planes to be in the air !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here