Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Tiny screw dilemma!

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
No, it's not about midget sex. I have a problem with a tiny screw on my car key remote which has become rounded due to various attempts to remove it so I can replace the battery.
Vauxhall main dealer was very useful "No sir you'll have to order a new one at £150+vat, and it will have to be programmed", so they can do one. Over £200 just because I can't replace a battery costing £8:50!!!
I've looked on YouTube and tried a couple of suggested remedies to no avail, it won't budge. I can still use the key manually so it's not the end of the world, I'd just like to get the the bloody thing working. It will probably need drilling out and a new screw fitted, but I don't have a drill bit that small or know where I would get a replacement screw.
Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
89CB8210-D41C-4D08-86A2-DD330932BF09.jpeg

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
What did you call me, Fletcher?
porridge_uk.mr_mackay.jpg

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Try stretching a rubber band over the top, sandwich the band firmly between screw and screwdriver and give it a go.

Replace it with a torx head after it'll be harder to find the right screwdriver but you won't strip it again

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Have you tried a small elastic band? Place the rubber band over the screw and the band will fill any gaps when you use the screw driver. Failing that, perhaps use a small amount of super glue, glueing the small screw driver to the screw!

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Try stretching a rubber band over the top, sandwich the band firmly between screw and screwdriver and give it a go.

Replace it with a torx head after it'll be harder to find the right screwdriver but you won't strip it again

Tried it, didn't work.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Have you tried a small elastic band? Place the rubber band over the screw and the band will fill any gaps when you use the screw driver. Failing that, perhaps use a small amount of super glue, glueing the small screw driver to the screw!

Tried it but my small screwdriver wasn't man enough to move it, with either the rubber band or the super glue. I did manage to stick 2 of my fingers together though!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Are you local-ish ?

Might be worth taking it to Tica in Boundary Road, Portslade (opposite Tesco). The old fella has been there about 103 years, replaces all types of batteries in watches and other devices, he seems to have every tool going. If he can't get that thing open then no-one can.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Are you local-ish ?

Might be worth taking it to Tica in Boundary Road, Portslade (opposite Tesco). The old fella has been there about 103 years, replaces all types of batteries in watches and other devices, he seems to have every tool going. If he can't get that thing open then no-one can.

Thanks Easy, that's just the sort of guy I need, like that chap on The Repair Shop program who repairs clocks/watches and all sorts of tiny mechanical things.
I'll mince on over and see if he can help.
:thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Tried it but my small screwdriver wasn't man enough to move it, with either the rubber band or the super glue. I did manage to stick 2 of my fingers together though!
I'm looking for a barrow boy to help me with building an extension. Thought I'd found my man when I saw your username, but perhaps not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm 66 and knackered, the mind's willing but the body says "are you kidding", sorry. :lolol:
I know what you mean. By comparison I'm sprightly, but I'm still not sure my body will appreciate what I've got planned for it (no, I don't mean for the weekend).

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Have you looked on eBay to see how much a replacement outer case is?

Got one for my Mrs car for a fiver as the old one had a button go. Kept the insides and the key so didn't need to be re-programmed.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Are you local-ish ?

RESULT!:clap: What a smashing guy he is, the shop's like an Aladdins cave and I wouldn't hesitate to use him again. Took him about 25 mins to get the screw out. he then changed the battery fitted a new screw and wasn't happy until I'd tried it out on the car, blokes a legend. :bowdown:
Thanks again for the tip Easy.:kiss:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here