Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Erdogan v The Kurds

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If I can just drag you away from the Colleen Rooney thread just for a second, what do you think of this situation?

To me this seems like a typical 21st Century conflict. US, Russia and Iran looming in the background. Faceless, to us, people in the middle east dying.

Trump saying things "the Kurds didn't help us at Normandy", which makes all the other things he's ever said look quite sensible.

I have a view which I suspect won't be the majority view, that we can't expect Trump to protect the Kurds if we're not in the UK prepared to do it ourselves. Also by blaming Trump, and concentrating on the moronic comments, it reduced the blame form where it should go. To Erdogan.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i expect the UK would put in a deployment if asked, have we been asked?

problem with foreign interventions is logisitics, supply and support for units on the ground. only US really has the capacity to do sustain deployments. in the case of the Kurds it wasnt event a large one, just enough so Turkey kept out.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So, Erdogan has the tapes of the Khashoggi murder.

There are recordings of Trump and his mob in conversation with Saudi Arabia.

Quid Pro Quo. Bad luck if you are the collateral damage.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
i expect the UK would put in a deployment if asked, have we been asked?

problem with foreign interventions is logisitics, supply and support for units on the ground. only US really has the capacity to do sustain deployments. in the case of the Kurds it wasnt event a large one, just enough so Turkey kept out.

I think we can assume that in their present predicament the Kurds would be grateful for our presence. I'm not necessarily advocating another military intervention, just saying I don't think we can blame Trump for not doing something, we're not prepared to do either.

Will there be any sanction on Turkey from the UK government on this? Or do we need a trade deal with them?

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
70,000 ISIS prisoners held by the Kurds are making plans as we speak, nothing to do with us or the Yanks, so nothing to see here.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Pretty sure the Kurds just lost all incentive to police ISIS prisoners.

Trump really is one special kind of f*ckwit.

Incentive and the ability. They're being bombed, they're under attack

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
The Kurds need their own country. Their home lands were dissected when the Imperial powers divided up the Ottoman empire and split it between Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Iran.

They have been badly treated by their new overlords and deserve self determination as much as anyone else.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The treatment of the Kurds over the last century has been very reminiscent of the way many of the same powers treated the Poles during the century beforehand. Even then it took the horrors of the First World War to give them a state, only to then lose it again for the best part of another century.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Trump has completely stitched up the Kurds.

Hugely complicated part of the world at the moment, but this Turkish attack will not help matters.one iota.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Erdogan is whey out of line.

I have strong feelings about this, I think Trump has surpassed even the lowest expectations and the UK needs to be much stronger both in rhetoric and in looking at specific actions eg a no-fly zone if not actual intervention on the ground.

All that said...I am prepared to take a moment to appreciate what you did there. Very good!

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The Kurds are controlling some very important oil fields (with the backing of the Western powers such as Saudi Arabia, USA - not sure why Trump is mad - & Israel), which is probably the main reason why Turkey (with the backing of the "Other" powers such as Qatar, Russia and China) is doing this. It will be interesting to see how this escalates. It will also be interesting to see what this means to the 3 million Syrian refugees in Turkey. If they leave for Europe... that would also be interesting to see what that means to.. everything, including your beloved/hated Brexit.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not sure why the US had to announce their departure when they could easily leave and not say anything with the Turks being non the wiser.

There are also about 70, 000 fighters, families and ISIS sympathisers who could escape and start the cycle again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Almost worthy of posting in Trumpy's thread as well.

[tweet]1182080765997322240[/tweet]

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Almost worthy of posting in Trumpy's thread as well.

[tweet]1182080765997322240[/tweet]

There we go, that's our big bezzie mate who's going to help dig us out of our Brexit hole right there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here