Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Jason Gillespie

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
How different to football. Has been given an extended contract for 2 seasons of failure

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
How different to football. Has been given an extended contract for 2 seasons of failure

We need to see imho some quality additions to the side and once again pressing for Div 1 Cricket, alas knowing the CEO he’ll be interested in 2020 in 2020 and soppy Rock Concerts

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham

Harsh critic. Second in the Blast Last season, topped the south group this one.

Hasn’t been a great County Championship season, but far from disastrous! No Archer too, and Van Zyl has been missing through injury for most of it. Batting has been poor but that’s been the case for the majority of eams as red ball cricket has been put on a back burner for World Cup success.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Harsh critic. Second in the Blast Last season, topped the south group this one.

Hasn’t been a great County Championship season, but far from disastrous! No Archer too, and Van Zyl has been missing through injury for most of it. Batting has been poor but that’s been the case for the majority of eams as red ball cricket has been put on a back burner for World Cup success.

Hmm, I agree with the OP. We've underperformed so far under Dizzy and I think he's only got the contract because he's a big name

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm will to give him the chance to turn this around (how magnanimous of me, eh?). Travis Head will hopefully strengthen the batting. Shame Reese Topley turned down the contract offered, as he looked decent in all forms.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
But we have Mitch Clayden.....FFS.....Dads Army......Dont Panic

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hmm, I agree with the OP. We've underperformed so far under Dizzy and I think he's only got the contract because he's a big name

..or because there are other teams interested in him and would now have to pay more dearly for him.

He has been unlucky: he wouldn't have been expecting the loss of Archer this season (the change of qualification would have taken him by surprise) and to have Van Zyl injured for two seasons was a bit of a blow. I think it's right that he has another season to turn things round

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Gillespie says he is enjoying his Sussex spell. I bet he is. Generous contract, superb lifestyle, flexibility and it’s not like other counties were chomping at the bit to get him.
That generous contract has probably been at the expense of proper investment in the team through.
I accept there has been investment in white ball. But In 50 over we’ve been rubbish. In t20 we have had some success but when push has come to shove we’ve underperformed.
In long form, we’ve been awful. Rolled over by the likes of leics and derby in a weak division.
The mantra from Gillespie has been ‘give youngsters on the chance’. That translates to ‘do it on the cheap’.
Easy to say when the bulk of the money is going into your bank account!
Senior players have not been adequately replaced for long form.
Gillespie thought we could get by on existing players. He’s been proved wrong.
I’d bin him.
We could get better for cheaper.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think he is remarkably lucky to have got a two year contract, I would have given him an offer of just the one year to gee him up.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think he is remarkably lucky to have got a two year contract, I would have given him an offer of just the one year to gee him up.

There is a lot of pressure on him to deliver now. 2 years does give him time to recruit and hopefully bed in new players though.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Giving youngsters a chance at Yorkshire or in Australia is fine because their youngsters are good.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I’m really surprised and disappointed by that, it seemed quite a good fit him and us.

We took a chance on him when no other counties were interested and it worked out well. Appreciate I don’t know the ins and outs but I expected a bit of loyalty back from him.

We don't know that contract he was offered. But, yes, on the face of it it does seem poor form. Just not cricket.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I don’t think it’s odd that he’s been offered a new contract, I think he was brought here first and foremost to be a successful T20 coach. T20 is the money spinner, we aren’t a rich side, the more successful at T20 we are the better off financially we are. I’m sure the other formats are things we aim to be decent at as well, but they are much more secondary objectives.

If you consider T20 being the club’s priority, the fact that we reached the final last year and the quarters this year (that’s not a failure), then offering one of the most sought after T20 coaches in the world an extended contract isn’t that surprising.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I don’t think it’s odd that he’s been offered a new contract, I think he was brought here first and foremost to be a successful T20 coach. T20 is the money spinner, we aren’t a rich side, the more successful at T20 we are the better off financially we are. I’m sure the other formats are things we aim to be decent at as well, but they are much more secondary objectives.

If you consider T20 being the club’s priority, the fact that we reached the final last year and the quarters this year (that’s not a failure), then offering one of the most sought after T20 coaches in the world an extended contract isn’t that surprising.

that’s why opinion will always be divided on Gillespie.
I see t20 as a bit of fun, and the championship as the serious business.
In the championship, Sussex have been generally dire under Gillespie.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What we don't know is how much influence Andrew has. For all we know, Dizzy pleaded for a new batsman for the CC but Andrew wouldn't loosen the purse strings. Dizzy is then told to give it a load of old moody about how we're putting our trust in youth.

What we do know is that both Archer and Robinson have spoken very positively about the influence that Gillespie has had on their careers - particularly noticable from Ollie give his history - that must count for something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here